Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am needing opinions on what off the shelf 22 caliber rifle would be a best buy, i am looking at a marlin 39 a any ideas??

Bill

·
Registered
16,537 Posts
I agree. There has been one in our family for 60+ years. Tack driver, Octo barrel, open sights.

If you can find a nice later one with the good wood and checkering grab it. Some of them were kind of plain.

Used ones are always 300 plus around here.

HM

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi Nipper- I bought those printer cartridges from you- about the .22- I have a Ruger Model 77 with a 4x scope and it is fun and accurate. You did not say if you wanted bolt, pump, semi,/ high end or cheap . Also have a old 552 BDL which is a great shooter but a pain to clean thje action.

Rich

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Marlin Golden 39A Very good, I have had mine 35 Years, also have had many others too numerious to mention but you cant go wrong with the 39A

E

·
0 Posts
I really like the Marlin 39's in any form for general use and hunting.

The Ruger 10/22 is for the gadget person that can't leave anything alone.

The CZ bolt gun is a hard act to follow in its price range. I've seen 22's that cost three times what the CZ does, and not shoot as well.

ec90t

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
The Ruger 10/22 is a nice rifle and there are alot of upgrades available if you want to trick it out. HMB

·
Registered
147 Posts
Levergun: Marlin 39, but the little Henry rifles are pretty neat also.

Bolt rifle: CZ 452 american

Semi Auto: ruger 10-22

good luck
Weagle

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does the cz come in left handed?? my first choice would be lever, then #2 would be bolt action

Bill

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
My basic CZ-452 training rifle has been a much better quality rifle than any of my Ruger's, Savage's or Marlin's (although I have not yet owned a M-39). CZ does not get the respect that it deserves---it is the best kept secret in rimfires with being a custom/real expensive gun.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Henry Lever Action/Very Nice, Hard to beat Ruger 10/22 with the removable clip.
Ruger price is hard to beat.
Still like my Win 61 or 62. But common sense says Ruger 10/22 with walnut stock.

Joe Woods/Ontario

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
For an off the shelf semi-auto, get the 10-22T, not the plain 10-22. The 10-22T is the target model, and is considerably more accurate.<br>
<br>
Can't go wrong with a Marlin 39. I have one from the 1930's that's still going strong.<br>
<br>
For bolt the CZ-452 or Savage with Accu-Trigger are the better choices.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I too have a Winchester model 63 that was given to me by my father in 1959 or so. Someone is making a copy of them today, but I can't remember who. I'm sure not quite as good as the originals but probably pretty nice. I also had a Ruger 10/22 which was nice but not near the gun the Win 63 is. Kind of like comparing a Model 12 with an 870. Both good but one (winchester) uses all forged steel parts.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'd vote for the Marlin 39, used ones are normally just dirty and with a good cleaning are good shooters. I prefer the older ones with plain, uncheckered walnut stocks to the newer ones with wierd checkering patterns. For autos, the 10-22 is good but hard on scopes unless you spend a few bucks for a really good one. I guess that bolt slamming back and forth loosens the cheaper one's internals. My all time favorite: Savage Anschutz model 141. Great trigger, superb accuracy, and not too bad looking. Might be one out there. CZ my neighbor has shoots almost right along with it and a 77-22 I had was close.

stan geisz

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.