Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shooting some skeet today and everyone made a comment that my shells were 'off' sounding and no two sounded the same. Has anyone else had any issues with either Promo powder or Noble Sport primers? I check the drop weight on the powder and it seems to be pretty consistent while loading, between bottles is another story. It was 60 out today but the wind was really going so that 'may' have been the issue.

So far I have felt that this combo has done what it is supposed to do and the only misses were due to me.

Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
474 Posts
Shot 300 rounds Sunday and 100 today ( Wednesday ) of Promo . All sounded the same. I use Winchester primers. It was in the mid 40's both days.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I have heard from other shooters that use NSI primers that they are a little finicky and cold sensitive. If you were shooting on a cold day, this could be your issue. I load the daylights out of Promo, so it ain't the Promo.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
60 degrees should be plenty warm enough, I had a similar problem several years ago but with Clays--NS primers and cool temps (+20s to 30s)went back to 700X no trouble after that. Maybe mine was just the combination of primer-powder and temps. Have since switched to Promo (price) with no problems.

Maybe try a different primer?? Ross Puls

·
Registered
911 Posts
I had the same problem, Changed the primer and even in cold I had no trouble.

NS primers are inconsistent and my lot was miserable

regards

·
Registered
142 Posts
There have been many of the same comments from shooters in our area regarding Noble primers. The problems stopped immediately with Winchester primers.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I had the same problem with Nobel primers in cooler weather. I noticed the flash hole covers were missing or loose in many of them. They were also larger in diameter such that Win 209s would fall out of hulls after using Nobles in them. The problem with odd sounding loads immediately went away when I switched back to Win 209's from Nobles. Bob

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info.

The loads are 7/8 oz shot, Claybuster CB4118-12B, 17 grains of Promo, Noble Sport primer and Gun club hull.

Todd

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I've shot thousands of Nobelsport shotshells, which I assume to have NS primers in them, without even one of them not sounding right. So, I would have to assume the problem lies elsewhere.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have had the same inconsistency issue with NS primers in cold weather (20-50). Incomplete ignition with red dot load. I switched to titewad, which was a little better, but still not right. I went back to Federal 209s until spring (worked fine), then I used the rest of my NS primers. Now, I don't think I'll buy them again due to lack of confidence in their reliability.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
I think the primers are substandard. I won't say they are crap just yet as I have a thousand to work through in NE Wisconsin.

We shall see.

HM

·
Registered
276 Posts
i am doing clays and ns and have had some issues in the cooler temps. Thought I had loader problem so weighed each shell charge for 200 (long day) and I still had off sounding shells so I think it is the primer. I have gone to winchesters in my 20, 28 and 410 awhile ago but have kept using in the 12 practice loads because they are cheap. I will use up and go back to winchesters in all.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I had the same problem. I bought 2-8 lb jugs lof Promo to try and work out some light loads for some new shooters which I will be taking down to Kingsburg later on in January. Most of them will be women from the gym where I work out at.

I tried loading 17.7 promo, nobel primer, tgt12 wad with 1 oz of 8s. The loads broke the targets OK but went poof, pop, bang etc. I loaded uo a couple of boxes changing just the primers to cheddite and went to Kingsburg and shot a round tuesday evening. The loads smoked the targets and there was no appreciable recoil.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Last year, I had the same experience as yours. I posted here on TS.com about it and was basically told by some "know-it-all genius" I was wrong - that NS primers were just fine and the problem was I did not know how to reload (after 40years of reloading).

So, I ignored his comment, replaced my NS primers with Winchester 209's and have never had another odd sounding report.

M.D.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I've had the same experience with noble sport and Fiocchi's in cool weather. Last year I had some hot(I thought) dove loads, three or four boxes of each and had the problem in 30 degree weather. Once it warmed up they shot fine. Jackie B.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I load promo year round with 18 grains in my 24-28 gram loads.. However I substitute my warm weather primer (Nobel) with the hotter Rio primer when the temps dip below 50f.

Both primers are the oversized variety so my hulls keep the primers where they should be.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts