Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting this here because it involves loading slugs not shot. I have an H&R magnum slug gun I have been loading with 3" all brass hulls with 120 grns of 2F, a column of wads and a 1.5oz. .73 caliber slug. It thumps on both ends. What I'd like to do is try smokeless but I have only a guess as to where to start. I'm having trouble finding published loads using a full caliber slug and brass hulls. I thought maybe 32 grns of Blue Dot might do the trick but I'm not sure. I have a butt load of 5744 but no idea what would be a good start. Do any of you have any experience in this area?

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'm putting this here because it involves loading slugs not shot. I have an H&R magnum slug gun I have been loading with 3" all brass hulls with 120 grns of 2F, a column of wads and a 1.5oz. .73 caliber slug. It thumps on both ends. What I'd like to do is try smokeless but I have only a guess as to where to start. I'm having trouble finding published loads using a full caliber slug and brass hulls. I thought maybe 32 grns of Blue Dot might do the trick but I'm not sure. I have a butt load of 5744 but no idea what would be a good start. Do any of you have any experience in this area?
how much is a butt load?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Like the Coach said, go to BPI for the reloading information, Trying to go with what powder you have on hand could possibly cause you
and you gun serious harm. The recoil from shooting an ounce and a half of lead will be hard to tone down. I would think black powder by it's nature would be the softest shooting.

There are some soft shooting factory made slugs using smokeless powder, that are no doubt softer shooting and using them won't require the rigorous barrel scrubbing you need to do after shooting black powder.

Is there a specific game you are hunting that requires an 1 1/2 slug?

·
Registered
20,183 Posts
Eddie .......... black powder causes more recoil than smokeless powder!
For the same velocity, yes, it does. Total ejecta mass is quite a lot more with ffg than with Blue Dot.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The back story is this. I built this gun to fire slugs similar to what the paradox guns were shooting in the 1890s. Thus the custom molded heavy slug...at 720 grns. With 120 grns of 2 F the recoil is stout. 10 rounds of this at the bench and you won't be doing any accurate hand gunning, the shake is too great. Off hand in the standing position it's easier to tolerate. I reasoned that a smokeless load might have less recoil and thought I'd try it. The hulls were custom turned by the Rocky Mountain Cartridge Company and use standard 209 primers. They are thick walled though and really are not easily resized. Given that they are so thick, they should last a lifetime. I also have about a dozen Korean War surplus Win brass hulls. These are thin walled and feature a large rifle primer. I did a lead chamber slug a few years back and determined that a 3.5 inch hull would be spot on if the slug was just shy of flush with the case mouth. That means the old Win hulls at 2.5 inches leave a lot of free bore. Still, with factory Forester-type slugs this gun shoots into 4-6 inches at 100 yards all day long so maybe that free bore isn't such a factor after all. I ordered the book from Ballistic Products. This is sketchy territory for me so I need all of the factual help I can get. So far it looks as if 32-34 grns of Blue Dot is going to be the preferred load.
Reece

·
Registered
597 Posts
omgb, Thanks for adding the back story, I was thrown completely off base by your first post "H&R magnum slug gun", plus I had to look up the definition of Paradox Gun in above post which was a new term for me. It would have helped if your first post actually provided enough information to address your search for a smokeless powder alternative, this definitely kept everything in sketchy territory.

Your H&R Magnum slug gun is actually a homemade attempt to copy an old 19th century smoothbore shotgun with rifling in the bore. The heavy slug used dictates the harsh recoil, which I doubt will be easy to soften, but GOOD LUCK!

Paradox Gun

Eddie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts