Trapshooters Forum banner

Occasional bad day

5023 46
Hello all, I wanted to ask about your bad days. A few months ago I picked up a BT99 AR and my scores went up over night, from 80% to 90% consistently. Then last Thursday on league night I broke a 36. How often does this happen to you? Is it normal to have a bad day every few weeks or months? I’m assuming that they decrease with time. So far I’ve only got around 750 targets behind this gun. Hopefully my scores continue to increase as I get used to the gun. So what do you think?

Thanks

Justin
Reactions: Hoot taylor
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly I have not patterned it yet because I’m afraid I’ll over think it when I’m on the line. When I use a full choke from the 16 I crush them, except for last week. If I use a modified I don’t get the breaks I like and start thinking about it.

· Registered
2,705 Posts
Unfortunately for me my scores are often mediocre at best. Every now and then I'll break a good score of 95+ and every now and then I'll break a piss poor score of 84-86 (short yardage handicap and 16s). 90% of the time NY scores are in between these two outliers.

Eh it is was it is!

· Registered
1,966 Posts
Justin
Since I’ve never seen you shoot, I can only throw out a possible cause for such a dramatic drop in your score.
This is typical of a person who cross fires. That means your non-dominant eye can take over.
This will really throw you off. It comes and goes for various reasons.
Phil Kiner is an expert in identifying this
You might grab his trap shooting CD and watch it a few times.
Hope this helps
John

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your replies. As a guy who’s trying to break old habits with his new magic wand it makes me feel better I’m not the only one.

I will definitely look into Phil Kiner. I appreciate the advice.

· Premium Member
2,391 Posts
If you are use to the breaking feedback of a full choke, going to a modified is likely your explanation since lighter hits will have you going after the target faster or moving the gun too early, looking to see where your gun is, or just not looking at the target good enough. Go back to a tighter choke to ensure yourself you have plenty of time to look at the target before crushing it. You will get it back!

· Registered
110 Posts
You know....... we're all human, and we will make mistakes and learn from them. I just started shooting trap back in March and I really kinda suck !...... But I love it.
I'm looking at getting a BT 99 in hopefully the near future as I would like a dedicated trap gun ( I currently shoot an auto loader that I love by the way ! ).
Hang in there, ask around your shooting ground for possible help. For me...... the best help I have received so far came from a Range Safety Officer !!!

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You know....... we're all human, and we will make mistakes and learn from them. I just started shooting trap back in March and I really kinda suck !...... But I love it.
I'm looking at getting a BT 99 in hopefully the near future as I would like a dedicated trap gun ( I currently shoot an auto loader that I love by the way ! ).
Hang in there, ask around your shooting ground for possible help. For me...... the best help I have received so far came from a Range Safety Officer !!!
If a bt fits you properly it’s the best starter/lifetime gun money can buy. I’ve been through multiple guns the past 3-4 years and I went back to the bt. Only I went with an adjustable rib model. It’s an exclusive for Monsoors. I highly recommend it.

· Registered
30 Posts
@GordyJ 100% agree. So many RSOs have deep experience that they are happy to impart!
Guess I am different, I have an occasional good day.
Lol, that is how I should phrase it!

· Premium Member
1,330 Posts
It happens to all of us, some more than others, all the time. It's your head, which isn't in the game even if you think it is. The gun shoots where the gun shoots, and the gun doesn't have good days or bad. Step back, look at the eagles or the birds or flowers and have a nice sip of something of your choice and get your head back in the game. At least until the next time...

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tonight is league night, just gotta stay out of my head. One thing I know I need to remember is keep my head up. This new gun has a raised parallel comb. Still trying to break the old habit of rolling my head up on the stock. I’ll report back later tonight with my score. Thanks again everyone

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.