Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone now of a gunsmith/machinist capable of converting a German double hammer rifle in 10mm to a 410 bore? I found a beautiful 1920/1930 double in very good condition worthy of converting.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I don't know of a smith with those skills - but are you certain you want to convert it? It's surprising how many of those old calibers can be supplied with the correct ammunition. Depending on who the builder was they can be quite valuable.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Does anyone now of a gunsmith/machinist capable of converting a German double hammer rifle in 10mm to a 410 bore? I found a beautiful 1920/1930 double in very good condition worthy of converting.
I would seriously think about what your trying to do. Cartridges can be had or made for your rifle. When your done spending the money to butcher the chamber & bore it will be worth little. Best to sell the gun to someone who appreciates these old guns then buy yourself a modern 410.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I would talk to @grntitan - that guy has MAD machining skills!
I appreciate the compliment, but I’m no gunsmith. Making a part and then making a part and properly heat treating it, are two different ball games. There are lots of people who have forgotten more than I’ll know in my time here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If I were going to undertake this project for myself I would contact Steve Milton at precision arms in Canada. You could also check with some of the top shotgun barrel shops like Eyster or Briley

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Pictures, those things that can save thousands to millions of words would be nice.

The posts replying mention cost or irreparable harm.

So yes it costly but why not look into having a set of 410 barrels made? Costly yes. But then you have the unaltered rifle and you can shoot the shotgun barrels to your hearts content and may have actually created more value doing it.

Al

Reactions: Gunstock12

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I saw this gun at a lcs while arranging the transfer of a new gun I had ordered, so it is not mine. The owned said it was a very obsolete caliber so he was going to use it as a wall hanger. I thought that I might offer to buy it if it was possible to convert it into a shotgun. My new gun should be in on Friday so I'll have another look at it and have a conversation with the owner. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I saw this gun at a lcs while arranging the transfer of a new gun I had ordered, so it is not mine. The owned said it was a very obsolete caliber so he was going to use it as a wall hanger. I thought that I might offer to buy it if it was possible to convert it into a shotgun. My new gun should be in on Friday so I'll have another look at it and have a conversation with the owner. Thanks for all the input.
Obsolete means no longer produced, that doesn’t mean that ammo cannot be had. I just completed a job by making 31 3 gauge shotgun shells for probably the only surviving 3 gauge shotgun on the planet. All is needed is a chamber cast for making ammo and tooling to reload.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
My dad had a German made Charles Daily sxs from the time I have memory. After 20 to 25 years of being shot a bunch, hunting. From September 1st through Feburary 15th every year. Once the AA's had hit the market he would start dove season with a new case (that was the true case) before dove season was over he was already reloading those and one season he made a mark on the rim of several hulls to see how many times that a AA could be reloaded well before quail season ended he ran out of room for marks. The thing was he only made the mark when the hull came through while reloading several hundred shells at a time. Just throwing that out to show how well used that old SXS was when it got to the point of needing the barrels repaired. So a machinist friend had been talking about building a double rifle, "if he ever found the Right shotgun. " When my dad replaced that SXS with another it became the donor to the double rifle project, the first rendition using the original monoblock is a 50 3 1/2 sharps. But the machinist also made a new monoblock and built a second set of 45-70 barrels for it.

So that is where my thought of building a set of shotgun barrels that do not modify the original gun in any way comes from.

Another machinist friend just finished making a set of barrels to use in place of the Damascus barrels on an old Remington SXS, the original barrels are untouched so it is still in original condition but he can enjoy shooting modern ammunition and not worry about Damascus barrels coming apart.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
A number of years ago I bought a gun from Boomer. It is a Browning Grade 5 or 6 , .410 that supposedly has the only set of 32" barrels that Stan Baker ever built, I've been told that the price of the barrels alone was around $3500.

My suspicion is that the original owner blew the barrels and had them replaced by Baker.

Pat

·
Registered
243 Posts
Any more information?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any more information?
I had a quick look on Friday but the tiny shop was way too crowded for me ( 5 people w/o masks in a 6' by 10' room). I did try an empty 410 hull and it chambered but the rim was way too small so it dropped past the extractor. I'll try to go back there in a few weeks to get a better look. It sure is a beauty.

·
Registered
436 Posts
There is no conventional 10mm centerfire rifle (including European cartridges). 1920's/30's might fall under Curio designation, but is still a modern firearm.

What caliber is it exactly...oh, and as others have said. PICTURES.

·
Premium Member
8,371 Posts
Be careful you might ruin a real hidden gem. I would find out all you can on the rifle before touching it as it could be a Maserati in sheep's clothing and you'll be kicking yourself if you screw it up. Generally speaking, conversions are rarely economical.

Aloha

1 - 20 of 20 Posts