Trapshooters Forum banner

Obsessed

4540 40
Hi, First post. Wondering if my story is typical...
54 yo NY'er who, although always leaned conservative, never even thought about getting into guns (never even shot one for that matter). Thanks to BLM and the current political climate, I went out and purchased a revolver.(Not that simple in NY, but I can be a persistent SOB) Now, less than one year later, I own as well, a pistol, rifle, and two shotguns, and have become obsessed with trap shooting. Hard to believe I have missed out on this great sport for all these years. I still have a lot to learn, but my avg is creeping up slowly so I am happy. Pretty much everyone I've met on the fields have been kind and offered friendly advice, I just wish ammo was more readily available so I could practice more. Seems like most people have been shooting for many years, or have returned to the sport after an extended absence. Just wondering if anyone else discovered this later in life and if this intentionally a well kept secret, or is this something that the main stream media keep hidden for fear of popularizing gun sports and ownership ?

I should add that I took courses in both handgun and rifle, and I'm learning trap from seasoned and experienced shooters who value safety above all else. Never did I feel uncomfortable or unsafe. I'd like to get my kids involved or maybe some other friends, but my lack of experience, current ammo situation, and long wait to join the local clubs are holding me back.

Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself and see if there are others in the same boat.

Cheers,
Chris
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
13,489 Posts
Well Welcome to TS.com and to all the shooting sports as well. I see the shooting sports has hooked you pretty deep. Its easy to have happen. Shooting is lots of fun, and the whole family can join in. Youth can quickly learn that they can Reap the Rewards in Life if they work hard for them!!! They can also have fun while learning life's Lesson!!! So its a double Win Win!!!
The ammo shortage will not last forever. Do get your family involved with you ASAP. Get your family's name down on the waiting lists at all the gun clubs near you. Don't be in a hurry to get to AAA. You'll continue to learn little by little. It will not come overnight. Just keep up the good work, keep trying different things, and it will come. Don't forget its a hobby and to have fun along the way. I guarantee you will make some lifelong buddies in this sport. From all walks of life as well. Good Luck to Ya. break em all jeff

· What squad am I on?
TriStar TT15
8,762 Posts
I first shot trap in 1997 and immediately fell in love with the sport. By the end of 98 I simply couldn't afford to continue. Clay target sports are expensive, hence the return to the sport after many years or picking it up later in life. Not many young adults, myself included, could afford to shoot while raising a family. Other priorities take precedence as well.
20yrs later here I am. It is undoubtedly an obsession which has literally become my life and there's no other way I'd have it. Thankfully I have a good woman who only says "I'll be here when you get back". Can't ask for more than that!

· Registered
506 Posts
I was first introduced to Trap shooting a little over twelve years ago. I too fell in love with the sport. Twelve years later and several tens of thousands of dollars in trap guns later I am still enjoying the heck out of this sport. I remember growing up and driving by the Trap club in Paco Washington back in the sixties and seventies and thinking what are those guys doing out there? Why would they waste their time and ammo shooting clay targets, when we have/had some of the best Pheasant and Waterfowl hunting in the country at our back door. Fast forward to when I forty years, and now I know why. I really wish that someone would of introduced me to this sport when I was younger had better vision and reflexes. I have fallen head over heals for this sport and recently shot my 100,000 milestone target and did that in a little under twelve years. Would of done it in eleven, but along came this damn thing that they call Covid and that delayed it by a year.

It sure is a great time,

Jim Bradbury

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Pull & Mark , oh I'm hooked alright. Hook line and sinker. It's pretty much all I think about now. :) I'm enjoying my newbie status at the club and I'm good enough not to embarrass myself, but not too good as to be a competitive threat so I still get good advice !! Gonna try and get my 20 yo daughter involved, but it's pricey hobby for one, much less two. And I'm afraid she will outshoot me !!

· Registered
6,297 Posts
Welcome to TS.com........I didn't start shooting trap until I was 53, be 62 this year, meet alot of great people in this sport......

· Registered
2,037 Posts
I started shooting clays when I was 58. I shot sporting clays for a couple of years, decided it was too expensive so I switched to trap.
Trap has become an addiction. Like many other people, it seems to be all I think about.

· Registered
3,049 Posts
My obsession has waned a bit. I still really enjoy the game. When I first started I had a goal of getting to the 27 yard line. Took me 20 years, but I got the pin. I tried for 2 years to get an honorary punch. I gave up and now I'll take any reductions if offered. In hind sight, I should have taken the reductions and played the money. Once I reached the 24 the punches were few and I stopped playing the money, except for the Lewis. I got a pleasant surprise a few times with scores in the low 80s.

Jason

· Registered
163 Posts
Hi Chris, like you and others I started late around 55, been shooting 4 years, wish I started sooner. Will be trying sporting clays this year. Really enjoy trap go out with my boys whenever we can even sometimes when they offer night shooting, really different perspective. Most accomplished shooters I've met are very friendly and helpful. Enjoy your new sport.

· Registered
12,263 Posts
OK - now that you are hooked you are all ours!

By that I mean you need to recruit every person in your phone to join the ranks as Second Amendment supporters and to go buy a gun or three. Out of the many in your phone you should be able to recruit a few to shoot trap with you.

Welcome to the forum, stay a while and have some fun, and glad you opened your eyes ;)

· Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Welcome to trapshooting! It is an obsession as you described and nothing wrong with having one more priority in your life! Shot off and on for 7 years in my 30s and 40s with family and career having a priority. After retirement, took me 4 years to restart and reach the 27 and shoot singles 100s in competition so stay with it and you will hopefully enjoy success in meeting your goals!

· Registered
2,300 Posts
Shot my first round at 15. And the last, for years. Auto 5 at for light loads shooting 1 1/4oz pheasant loads was not a good nite for a 130 pound kid. Fast forward to 1968 and my entry into muzzle loading. Shot rifle, handgun and shotgun. Hunted exclusively with b.p. guns. Our club installed a trap house and we shot m.l., BP cartridge and ultimately modern trap. In 1975 I bought a real trap gun and I'm still shooting it (along with several others). At 76 I'm in three leagues, holding about a 92-94% average and enjoying seeing my son starting to edge me out of the wins. Welcome and enjoy. I've persevered through some financially tough times, back and knee surgeries and even a pacemaker. Addictive, you bet.

· Keystone Shooter
2,681 Posts
Welcome to the best Trap shooting site on the web. I started at 65, I’m 70 now. My son got me into it. I became addicted, like most on here. I became the trap chairman and trap range master, at my small one trap club. It has been a journey for me, and I loved every minute.
Good luck with your new “addiction” have fun make lots of friends.
Good shooting
Enjoy yourself.
Chief

· Registered
465 Posts
Welcome Chris to TSC and to the sport of trap shooting . I also got into the sport at around the same age, but have been enjoying it for several years now . It is not an Inexpensive sport to do on a consistent basis and most people need to get there children raised and out of the house before they have the disposable cash to be able to afford to do this sport. One of the things that keep bringing me back to the sport is the people that I’ve met along the way. Great group of people.

Don’t get discouraged from the current prices of shells . I have seen this happen before but it will not last forever. Best of shooting to you and remember keep your head down and your eye on the target.

· Registered
152 Posts
Welcome. Now You Have The "Sickness". More shooting leads to more Guns, leads to more milage to shoots, leads to more practice shootings, leads to ?reloading?, leads to hoarding components, leads to more.............

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.