Trapshooters Forum banner

Obsessed, Ignorant, or Just plain uninformed

3034 22
I’ll admit it, I’ve got a problem. I’ve been looking for the perfect BT 99 trap gun for me and I think I’ve found it. I do love to buy sell and trade and I’ve either owned or still have several Brownings. Can’t afford P or K but I do love my Brownings. I tried BT 99 in different models and configurations, I think probably all their trap models.
Anyhow I just couldn’t seem to find the perfect trap gun for me. I even spoke to SD trap family, George, and GU. All good folks and good advice from the experts, but nothing seemed to work. Whatever I tried seems like I had to really work at it to make the gun work for me. So I had just about given up and decided I would just have to make do.
I had been after a friend of mine to sell me his old Pigeon grade BT, that had had some work done to it by a previous owner. It was a beautiful gun and he finally gave in and sold it to me for a good price. It felt good, looked good and my hopes soared that this might be the ONE! I took it to the pattern board and sadly it shot high and right. I knew how to fix the right by adjusting the comb, but there was no way to fix the high. I had read about barrel work and decided to contact Briley. They said they could fix the problem for me by threading the barrel and installing eccentric chokes. I didn’t have a clue about that but I figured they knew their stuff. Anyhow, after 12 long weeks and a bit over $500, I got my barrel back. Went to the pattern board and shot a pattern. adjusted the comb right a bit and up, and bingo, perfect sight picture and pattern. Seems like if I get it pointed anywhere near the bird, it breaks.
I sure wish I had known about the Briley choke system before now. My O/U all seem to fit just fine, but the BT configuration just kept giving me trouble. It helped to to get some advice from a 27 yard shooter at my local club that had seen me shoot. He said I was chasing the bird and swinging up through it. He suggested a higher hold off the house and less gun movement to the bird. That helped a lot too.
So I’m hopeful that I finally have a BT 99 I really like and can shoot well. My O/U seem to fit fine and thankfully there isn’t a problem there.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Banned
35 Posts
I’ll admit it, I’ve got a problem. I’ve been looking for the perfect BT 99 trap gun for me and I think I’ve found it. I do love to buy sell and trade and I’ve either owned or still have several Brownings. Can’t afford P or K but I do love my Brownings. I tried BT 99 in different models and configurations, I think probably all their trap models.
Anyhow I just couldn’t seem to find the perfect trap gun for me. I even spoke to SD trap family, George, and GU. All good folks and good advice from the experts, but nothing seemed to work. Whatever I tried seems like I had to really work at it to make the gun work for me. So I had just about given up and decided I would just have to make do.
I had been after a friend of mine to sell me his old Pigeon grade BT, that had had some work done to it by a previous owner. It was a beautiful gun and he finally gave in and sold it to me for a good price. It felt good, looked good and my hopes soared that this might be the ONE! I took it to the pattern board and sadly it shot high and right. I knew how to fix the right by adjusting the comb, but there was no way to fix the high. I had read about barrel work and decided to contact Briley. They said they could fix the problem for me by threading the barrel and installing eccentric chokes. I didn’t have a clue about that but I figured they knew their stuff. Anyhow, after 12 long weeks and a bit over $500, I got my barrel back. Went to the pattern board and shot a pattern. adjusted the comb right a bit and up, and bingo, perfect sight picture and pattern. Seems like if I get it pointed anywhere near the bird, it breaks.
I sure wish I had known about the Briley choke system before now. My O/U all seem to fit just fine, but the BT configuration just kept giving me trouble. It helped to to get some advice from a 27 yard shooter at my local club that had seen me shoot. He said I was chasing the bird and swinging up through it. He suggested a higher hold off the house and less gun movement to the bird. That helped a lot too.
So I’m hopeful that I finally have a BT 99 I really like and can shoot well. My O/U seem to fit fine and thankfully there isn’t a problem there.
you will never get the pgun or kgun out of your head just buy one !!!!!!!

· Registered
36,815 Posts
you will never get the pgun or kgun out of your head just buy one !!!!!!!
You could sell your kids and buy a nice used P or K. As far as chasing the bird? Lots of people shoot that way. Lots of people trap the bird or spot shoot. The only correct way to break targets is what works for you. Learn as much from the good shooters you will see they do not all share the same shooting style. Buy or rent books and DVD’s from the “pros.” You can find used copies for sale. You have develop your own style

· Registered
36,815 Posts
Well sir, at 71 and on Social Security that’s kinda tough! LOL.
Never mind my suggestion about selling your kids…….maybe the grand kids or great grandkids.

Reactions: Mr. Pump Gun

· Keystone Shooter
2,681 Posts
Hey Chief what’s wrong with a good used Beretta? I’m not talking about a DT-10x or a DT-11. How about a nice used 686 or a 687 Silver Pigeon III Joel Etchen Special, like mine, with an 32” X Trap barrel. They go around $3000. I sold my Browning Crossover and my SKB GC7 to buy it. It fit me perfectly and now I have a gun that shoots where I look.
Just a thought.
Chief
By the way I’m 70 also and on Social Security.

· Premium Member
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah mostly good advice given here! Can’t sell the kids or the grand daughter though. Nice thing about buying selling and trading is that I was able to try guns a little at a time and didn’t lose much money every time I traded. Living in a small town I don’t have access to try guns and the guys at the local club shoot mostly Browning with a few P and K guns around but kind of tough to ask a stranger to shoot a high dollar gun. There are some Seitz, but I don’t like them. Berettas sound interesting and I’ve never had one of them. I had my eye on used Perazzi but I think it was a consignment gun and I’m not sure I could trade for it. Besides I’m kind of afraid to spend big bucks on a gun I can’t shoot first. That’s why I’ve gone through so many guns. It was fun but frustrating just the same.

· Premium Member
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Chief what’s wrong with a good used Beretta? I’m not talking about a DT-10x or a DT-11. How about a nice used 686 or a 687 Silver Pigeon III Joel Etchen Special, like mine, with an 32” X Trap barrel. They go around $3000. I sold my Browning Crossover and my SKB GC7 to buy it. It fit me perfectly and now I have a gun that shoots where I look.
Just a thought.
Chief
By the way I’m 70 also and on Social Security.
Thanks Chief I’ll look into a Beretta.

· Premium Member
803 Posts
I'm with you Chief... love my Brownings. I have a bunch... from Bt99's to my BT99 Max and a bunch in between, including 99AR's and 99 pluses, a couple of CX's and my favorite 725 Combo.. had so many in between, shot them all very good.. just like buying guns. Had a couple of K guns, KX5, KX6 ... loved the 5 hated the 6, my last K gun I want is the KX6 Special.. maybe the deal will come along when I can swing it.. if not, I know I can shoot my Browning just as good on any given day. I won't name all the expensive guns I tried, but none of them did it for me..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.