Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question... I have a beretta silver snipe 12 guage that sometimes won't open after I fire a shot. This happens once every 20 shots or so. The lever can be pushed all the way to the right, with no extra force. If you try to break the gun open over your knee, it will open if you use enough force. On the next shot, it will work fine. Anyone else have this happen?? Thanks.. John....

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
You may have a firing pin stuck in a primer ?? Look at the next hull that sticks . Some have a firing pin return spring and yours may be broken . You did,t say if it only happens on one barrel or not .

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems like it only happens when I shoot doubles. When I shoot singles, I use the bottom barrel. Could be something with the top? This is on factory shells of different brands. 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Do as Alf suggests, replace your top firing pin spring and see if this solves the problem.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Remove the top barrel firing pin and clean and deburr it. Replace the firing pin return spring if broken or weak. Lube with a fine oil with teflon. HMB

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Sure sounds like the top barrel firing pin is not fully retracting. Could be a spring problem or something with the primers.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HI.. Thanks for all the tips. I checked the movement of the firing pins and they seem fine. I pushed the top one in about 100 times with no galling or hang-ups. I sprayed some Break-Free oil around the pins from the breech side with no noticeable difference. Everything seems fine. The pins seem easy to get to, only a staked in wedge holds them in place. I'm not gonna mess with that. Then next time it hangs up, I will take the stock off and see if I can find out what is going on in the firing pin area. John....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HI.. Thanks for all the tips. I checked the movement of the firing pins and they seem fine. I pushed the top one in about 100 times with no galling or hang-ups. I sprayed some Break-Free oil around the pins from the breech side with no noticeable difference. Everything seems fine. The pins seem easy to get to, only a staked in wedge holds them in place. I'm not gonna mess with that. Then next time it hangs up, I will take the stock off and see if I can find out what is going on in the firing pin area. John....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.