Trapshooters Forum banner

O/U selection advice

6123 Views 79 Replies 43 Participants Last post by  Helix
I know good isn't cheap and cheap isn't good. With that said, money IS a factor. I'm trying to get my nephew into trap and I'm not going to spend $1k & up on a gun that he "might" use beyond a year or two. If that's all the gun lasts and he's still interested, we'll make a jump up to the $1k+ models. He understands this and has brought to me a few of the O/U he likes. Keep in mind he'll probably shoot 1-2 times a week and about 50-200'ish rounds per week, for now.

What he's found....

ATI Calvary SVE 12ga - $490
Stevens 555 - $600
Charles Daly 214E - $660
Pointer SCT - $671
CZ Upland Ultralight - $673

Since I'm fairly new to the sport as well, I'm not familiar with reliability or functionality of these guns. Any help, experience or knowledge would be much appreciated!
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

· Premium Member
2,328 Posts
This seams like a question asked on a weekly basis..
Check out some of the previous thsimilar threads at the bottom of the page.

If money is a factor consider the resale of it also. If you are lucky you might get 50% of your money back from any of them you listed. Don't limit him to an O/U. A nice uses beretta or 1100 can met that price range and you will get you investment back if ita taken care of.
Note sure how old your nephew is or his size but gun fit is about the most import aspect of getting a new shotgun. A gun with improper fit that just beats you up will cause a young kid to shy away and never be comfortable keeping wood on wood.
Go to the local club, most members will be there to help out possibly even have something that might interest him or you and you can shoot it before you buy.
Buying the gun is the one thing that only needs paid for once, yeah its the most up front but with the right one he will still be shooting it year down the road.

· Premium Member
93 Posts
For those on a budget, take a look or research the older Miroku Charles Daly guns. I have read they are essentially a Browning Citori. Miroku apparently made/makes the Citori for Browning and starting selling it themselves under the Charles Daly name. But they had to stop once Browning stipulated it.
These seem to be a great value in getting essentially an older Browning Citori. I have seen prices from $550-$950. Just learn how to assess a used O/U for excessive wear and good fit/function. I have read that one of the easy things to look for is the position of the thumb release lever when the gun is fully assembled and closed. For most makes of O/U, the lever should be well to the right of center for it to be considered "lightly used" with minimal wear from use (opening and closing).
Good luck!
Tall

· Registered
2,109 Posts
Since you were looking at O/U guns I'll add my support for used Browning or Beretta.
You'll get known reliability and resale value for a little more money.
If you really want inexpensive, a pump gun is a good starter for recreational Trap.

· Registered
13,538 Posts
I'll give a nod toward the M. Charles Daly as well. You might also want to look at Ithica SKB's, and Ruger Red Labels. The later two were inexpensive old guns that have proven themselves good dependable shotguns. There should be parts for both models left to keep them going on a budget as well.

The problem with todays cheap shotguns are Parts. Parts are just not available for many of the shotguns made overseas today. You have to know, that a inexpensive shotgun is going to break parts. If you can find parts cheaply, you can keep shooting the gun. If you have to pay someone to make a custom made part? The part would cost more than the gun is worth.

Good Luck in finding a shotgun. You can find 25 year old Browning Citori's out there for a grand or less if you look. These shotguns will last you a lifetime. You will never lose any money if you want to sell it in a couple of years as well. break em all jeff

· Premium Member
8,302 Posts
I know good isn't cheap and cheap isn't good. With that said, money IS a factor. I'm trying to get my nephew into trap and I'm not going to spend $1k & up on a gun that he "might" use beyond a year or two. If that's all the gun lasts and he's still interested, we'll make a jump up to the $1k+ models. He understands this and has brought to me a few of the O/U he likes. Keep in mind he'll probably shoot 1-2 times a week and about 50-200'ish rounds per week, for now.

What he's found....

Stevens 555 - $600
Charles Daly 214E - $660
Pointer SCT - $671

Since I'm fairly new to the sport as well, I'm not familiar with reliability or functionality of these guns. Any help, experience or knowledge would be much appreciated!
Those selections are not for repetitive shooting.

Those choices are not a trap gun. Yes it does and will make a difference with his success and enjoyment.

These choices will assure that your nephew will not be shooting trap next year at this time especially if he shot 100 or more rounds in succession.

I understand budget minded but use common sense with it. A good used 870 TB should set you back $550-$600. This is a gun that your nephew can actually accel with provided he is fitted and POI is correct.

If he has to have an O/U, then as someone mentioned, an older Charles Daly or Ithica SKB can be bought in the $600 range.

· Registered
134 Posts
Hi Scuba,
As mentioned, age and height/weight of your nephew would help the discussion. I understand the constraints of price in today's world, but the suggestions from your nephew are horrendous choices for trap. 26/28 o/u barrels, 7lb, flat shooting, field guns are not going to help your nephew shoot well in trap. And if he gets stung by recoil in his shoulder or especially cheek/faceslap, he wont make it past his second outing.

Sure, you can never go wrong with a used B gun, but you will be in that $1,000 range. I'd suggest you consider a 870 trap or 1100 trap. Both are around $700 or so, have ok resale, longer sight plane, and better momentum to keep the barrel moving versus a short o/u.

For new shooters the most important thing is to have fun. That means they have to break some targets, they have to notice improvement from outing to outing (positive reinforcement), and, in my opinion, as little recoil as possible for their first season.

· Registered
134 Posts
I understand budget minded but use common sense with it. A good used 870 TB should set you back $550-$600. This is a gun that your nephew can actually accel with provided he is fitted and POI is correct.

LoL. You type faster than I do!!

· Registered
920 Posts
My vote for that budget is a Remington 870 or 1100 Trap for the least amount of cost you can find it, if you can find one. If O/U is a must than go get the cheapest you can find with the longest barrel you can find and don't expect any resale value.

· Registered
670 Posts
I wood look for a good used Winchester Model 101 O/U in a trap Model, 30 inch barrels choke IM on the bottom barrel & Full choke on the top. Good for single, doubles and handicap to start with. You can pick up one for 600 to 1000 dollars. They also made a single barrel version at round the same money. Great to see people getting you people start in the shoting sports. With out then there is no future for the sport.
Sgoose

· Registered
91 Posts

What he's found....

Stevens 555 - $600
Charles Daly 214E - $660
Pointer SCT - $671

If he insists on an O/U look into a used Browning Citori or the Beretta 680 series, both are solid guns that will last a lifetime if properly cared for. If budget is a concern both the Remington 870 and 1100 trap guns are great choices that can be had for around the same amount that you'd spend on a cheap O/U and your getting a far better gun for your money.

· Banned
2,714 Posts
You are lighting dollar bills on fire if those guns are to be shot regularly at AIM or SCTP volume.

I'd buy quality pump or semi auto, new or used. Something you'd like to have regardless if he shoots. Or make a friend who will make you a sweetheart deal on a Browning or Beretta.

I understand your frustrations. There is no good, or really even "least worst" of your suggestions.

In your case you want to be into and possibly out of, the gun at the least damage to you financially. That's why you are getting the responses you are.

· Registered
91 Posts
If he insists on an O/U look into a used Browning Citori or the Beretta 680 series, both are solid guns that will last a lifetime if properly cared for and have excellent resale value if he looses interest in shooting down the road. If budget is a concern both the Remington 870 and 1100 trap guns are great choices that can be had for around the same amount that you'd spend on a cheap O/U and your getting a far better gun for your money.
Sorry double posted Mods if you can please delete.

· Registered
72 Posts
Of those listed I think the Charles Daly is the best from a quality perspective. However, a used 1100 should be at a similar price point and will be a far superior gun in the long run as well as retain resale value.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.