Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this stien at a flee market.It has guns on it so I bought it.

It says: Sichres Aug Die Hand on one side the other side says: Braucht Der Schutzein Dem Stand

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">
</a>

Ziggy

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
OK, it's a little poem about the hunter and the drinker, referring to the same person: or a hunter in two situations and/or his two requirements. When translated it's not going to rhyme.

The first picture: It starts with as best I can read it "Braucht der Schutze in dem (unknown) " That is, "the marksman/shooter/hunter needs (unknown)."

It's hard to read the second, call it (something) the eye, and solid (hard, tight, trustworthy) the hand.

I suppose this is some sort of "Weidmannsheil" that a German hunter would say at a post-hunt gathering, but I can't say I'm familiar with it.

Neil

·
Registered
726 Posts
Ziggy go to Google or Wikipedia and type in the words. It should come back with a translation. There are also several translation sites, just do a search for German or Dutch to English. Curious, so let us know. Jeff

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
OK, Chessy, I've re-read your post and here it is, interpreted rather than translated:

"The marksman needs be in his stand

Sure of eye and certain of hand."

It's a nice Stein besides. If I'd seen it I'd have bought it too.

Neil

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I couldn't pass it up @ $6.00 It has #'s on the bottom.I'm taking it to the Titonia (German) club next week.There is a old German guy there that is a collector of these things.I'm hoping he will tell me some history on it..Ziggy

·
Registered
16,537 Posts
Nice find. I would grab one if I saw it and put it in my trophy case, with a card bearing Neil's interpretation.

HM

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The funny thing is Iv'e tried some domestic beers in it.They taste kinda funny! But dem ice cold german beers poured by my "Froline" taste like they should !!!..Ziggy

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
O/T Update.. What this German Stein Say?

Update on the stein..I took the stein to the German Club on Sat. night. I showed it to the older gentleman who is a collector of these things.He showed great interest and was also aware of it's maker and origin..His estimated value of it was at least 100.00 maybe more. He is going to do some research and let me know..When I poured a beer in at the bar.He said if it was him he would put it in the car.....Ziggy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.