Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over a 300 point drop today--spin doctors have already turned it around to read"Market drop attributed to bank worries". YEAH, RIGHT . It's worries, alright but not about banks. Can NO ONE tell the truth in print or on TV anymore???????

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
snap....and what did we expect for the mainstream media?

The money people weren't amused by the Big O's speech.....all rhetoric and no substance....

All those people that stood out in the weather and got cold...well, when the change reality hits 'em...they're gonna be hot!!

Curt

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
The stock market has been collapsing every since it became apparent that Hussein Obama was going to win the election. I keep putting money in but it never gains in value. It is like sinking money in a hole.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
waterhouse . . . seriously, do you think gold is still a good investment? I am not trolling, just looking for your honest opinion about investing in gold for the gains it could produce or just a safe place to put some money. I am not sure banks are safe anymore. What does $100K or $250K federally insured accounts mean if our paper money is worthless? John E.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Luvs2shoot......I am no expert. I believe one needs diversification in their asset allocation. It is similar to having more sources of income. The more sources one has the better off one is. Holding some gold or silver wouldn't hurt. The negative is, that it draws no interest or dividend income and there is a premium or commission to figure in the equation. I have seen a couple articles speculating that gold will hit $2000 an ounce at years end. Will that happen? I don't know. I do know that cash is the worst asset one can possess because it loses purchasing power over time. On the flip side, inflated money pays off debt easier. Some are actually predicting 10-15% inflation in the next couple years. Real estate is still probably the best investment over time. Stocks with real assets are attractive to me. At present I like RR's, oil companies, some mining companies. The latter are stocks that deal in commodities that should be a good inflation hedge. Look no further than ammo prices. Lead and brass are commodities. That greenback is good only as long as someone is willing to accept it. Worst case scenario, what do you possess that you could barter with? Will we get to that point? I don't know. But it wouldn't hurt to be prepared to some degree.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Good Advice and booyah to you waterhouse. Any thoughts on preferred stocks heavily invested in commercial real estate like Duke Realty L, M, or O? They pay a sizeable dividend and are callable at $25.00 currently trading around $11 to $12 per share. John E.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Stay away from REIT's.....

Commodities are worth looking at. Be careful. Last year, actually Sept. '07, I bought into oil at $80.00 per barrel, had to hold for 6 months....kept it until May '08 and sold at $132.00 per. But you now see it selling below $41.00, it's a gamble.

Gold is always good. May not be the best money maker, but it's fairly stable and with inflation looming close by, it's a good bet.

Curt

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
To anyone thinking of investing in GOLD. Buy from reputable dealers and take delivery for keeping in YOUR local bank safe deposit box. ( Remember Madoff ? )
Buy US gold coins in 2-1/2, 5, 10 & 20 dollar denominations. I would strongly advise buying a lot of US Silver coins. Think of this!! If the dollar goes completely to hell, how are you going to buy necessary items. A silver quarter or half dollar may work , but how will you get change back from a 10 dollar gold coin when buying 5 gallons of gas? ( just my 2 cents on the subject ) Larry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.