Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
How does this liner stuff work on the lower edge of the body panels. I'm beginning to chip the paint off around the wheel wells and lower areas.

I live on a dirt/sand road, my shop is on the same, my girlfriend, lives on the same. I hunt and fish dirt/sand roads. It really sucks driving, especially after a rain. I do have flaps on all four wheels, so right behind the flaps, the paint is good.

Doug

·
Registered
303 Posts
We use to spray the rocker panels and it works well. It's more of a custom job and our technicians didn't like them as it required more work. We use to charge about twice what a bedliner would cost and they took about 3 times as long so it wasn't a real winner. My guess is they will be more expensive than you think, and if you do have them done make certain to have them UV protected, or color to match.

Dan

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
Dan, apparently a lot of 4x4 owners disagree with you. DIY bedliners are commonly used to line the tubs of Jeeps as well as seal the undersides of fenders. The results look good and from what I've seen locally, they take quite a beating. My Jeep trailer is not worth spending hundreds on, nor do I want a super thick coat as most shops put on (like Rhino). Also, you infer that bedliners require special spray equipment. Well, the spray on type does. But the DIY bedliners require a brush or roller. They are not designed to be sprayed.<br>
<br>
It's obvious that the results can vary depending on how well someone does the prepwork and application with DIY bedliners. But, this also applies to shops as well, as is pointed out in a previous post about a new employee at a shop not doing as good a job as a skilled employee.<br>
<br>
I posted wanting feedback on a specific BIY bedliner - Herculiner. I'm still interested in hearing from anyone who has DIY with that or another product.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Brian

I gave my opinion based on my experience having invested about $30,000 x 2 for the equipment necessary to install spray in bedliners like a Linex at two locations. I believe the equipment for spraying Rhinos is similar as I priced out their system also. Do it yourself liners are rolled on and are not as thick. One of my employees has a truck parked right outside my office with a herculiner rolled onto the bed. It has wore off in spots and in my humble opinion does not look very good. For a truck bed it is not as tough as the spray on liner I am familiar with.

I'm not trying to trash herculiner or any other roll on liner. Depending on the application it may work fine. I can only speak for my experience and give my advice based on it.

Dan

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Got Rhino 5 years ago....should have had Line-X...I think it's a bit tougher. Just got my first tear and need to find a repair kit to fix it before winter.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have a Rhino liner. As far as the comments about it fading, I live in Yuma County Arizona, the liner is 5 yrs old and has not faded at all. If it won’t fade here it just will not fade, unless the seller cuts corners that is. The 1st guy that was in town doing these lost his franchise agreement because he was cutting corners and not applying them as thick as he was suppose to. So if you have a fading problem, maybe it the person doing the application. I can’t say anything bad about any other brands because I haven’t had any others but I’m happy with the one I have. No sliding and everything washes right out.

·
Registered
303 Posts
CD
I don't want to beat this one to death but as I know a lot about spray in liners, I'd like to share what I know. The chemical make up of the material used for Rhino and Linex was such that if it was exposed to sunlight without UV protection, all the spray in liners I encountered would fade. Fading may be a subjective thing to different people. For most, if the liner turns from black to a dark gray, it looks fine and they don't care. If you own a black truck and you want the liner to match the truck color, in time it won't without protection. If the truck has a topper or cover it will block the sun and the material won't fade. Depending on use, all liners are vulnerable to gouging. We used a black filler material to repair them.

I'm 2 years removed from the business, as I sold the shops with the spray in business to a dealer in 04. But as I stated in an earlier post, the standard UV protection we used was a clear coat or paint. My guess CD is that yours may have the protection. When the liners are installed, the truck is completely bagged off and actually spraying them with the UV material at that point is pretty easy to do. If you have a liner and want to UV protect it yourself, a flat clear coat that you spray, brush or roll on will do the trick.

Dan

·
Registered
482 Posts
Anyone here ever have Arma Coat bed liner installed, and what is your opinion? Thanks.

Chris Morris

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just a small correction about Herculiner. It can be sprayed on and the directions which come with it tell you how to do that. I used the product on the bed of my UTV because the the Rhino folks wanted $300 to spray that tiny 2.5x3.5 bed. I used the roller and brush that came with Herculiner and it worked OK, however it needs far more than the 2 coats that Herculiner recommends. I put on 3 and it's still thin.

While I'm happy with the Herculiner for the application I used it for, I wouldn't ever use it for the bed of my expensive truck. JMO

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Line-X here. Life Time Warranty in writing, good at any authorized Line-X dealer

A tailgate sprayed with Line-X makes a great platform to assemble guns etc. Won't scratch wood or metal.

Paid $425 Six 1/2 foot bed including the tailgate but not over the top of the quarter panel. Eight foot bed might be more

Line-X has a new coating called Line-X Extra (Kevlar filled)

·
Registered
271 Posts
SELF spray on Worked great on several of our trucks $160 4 qts.gun came with at that price it 2qts covers 8' bed 4 is thicker 2 part epoxy mix the two and spray. One truck was used to check gas wells beat threw the brush he pop rivited new panels on the sides and I shot the whole side of his truck. Regular paint looked bad after a few weeks of his abuse. 2 years later this stuff looked good, and some of the metal rusted away under it and the spray liner still covered it. My trucks have taken a beaten and sale time buy 2 qts and freshen it up and still under half the price.
This was bought at a auto body store name not sure have used 3 diffrent kinds all have been good. As Dan said poor prep work and nothing holds up.
DON"T BUY OLD STUFF check the manufacures date

·
Registered
271 Posts
RE: to the last post Raptor was the last brand I used and it worked great.
Sprayed a bike rack, trailer frame, under the mower deck too.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.