Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a real nice case of Poison Ivy. First time I ever got it. I was dressed in clothes covering my entire body when cutting and pulling a ton of vines and crap out from the back yard. There were so many vines and crap I must have never realized i was into it pretty good. The way it looks the Ivy must have got on my skin while I was taking them off to get into the shower.

Shower must not have gotten it off I guess.

Anyway, i am on Prednisone for the last 3 days and it seems to be working but it took two weeks for me to call the Dr. about it.

How long should the rash be around? Its been almost 3 weeks now since I came in contact.

Its my first case of it and I can not believe it. I have been in and around Poison Ivy tons of times and thought I was immune to it. I guess not.

i was jsut about to throw some kerosene on the mess and light it up. After reading up on it, I found buring Poison Ivy is a major no no as the oils will only up out with the smoke and just cover you head to toe, and down the lungs and make a real dangerous mess. i was so close, i guess a little angel changed my mind for the best.
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Log onto the "Gempler's" web site (above) and order a bottle or 2 of Tecnu skin cleanser. It's the only stuff available that will actually remove the resins that cause the reaction. The stuff was available to the US Forest Service for decades before it was made available commercially. It will prevent an allergic reaction if used properly up to 8 hours after exposure and can be used to wash clothing and gear as well.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
91% Isopropyl Alcohol will dissolve the urushiol off, too...don't wait too long. Immediate scrub-off with alcohol has always prevented the reaction for me, assuming you actually saw where it contacted your skin.

Yep, removing clothing that has been in contact with cut vines is a heckuva transmission route if you don't watch it. The worst case I ever got was during November one year, when I got it on the back of my legs - which had been covered by jeans...(until I took them off).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
729 Posts
YEAH YEAH thats what they all say. We know you and your girl were out in nature having some fun. Good luck with it. At times you have to let it run its course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts
I seem to be immune to poison oak -- no idea about poison ivy.

Did have a buddy who was a suburbia-slicker who went camping for the first time, got it on his hands and took a wee. He claimed it transfered from his hand to his pecker and tormented him he had to go to the doctor and was completely embarrassed -- I guess he thought the doc would figure he was trying to have his way with some plants???

OUCH!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,928 Posts
My college roommate and his girlfriend decided to have a roll in the hay...only they rolled into some poison ivey. They both had rashes and itches where you don't want rashes and itches. As I recall the romance dwindled out shortly thereafter ss well. He did, however, gain the nickname "P.I." for the rest of his college carreer! Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't even remember what I had on that day as it was 3 weeks ago. i know the clothes were washed but unfortunatly, nothing flared up for about 4-5 days.

I guess i may still have a problem.

Is there anything i can wash all of our clothes with? The last thing we need it to keep reaffecting ourselves with this shit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,529 Posts
southpark- If you are not sensitive to Poison Ivy, you will not be sensitive to Poison Oak. They are the same plant (Toxicodendron radicans aka Rhus radicans)

The oil from poison ivy is one of the few substances that can pass through the upper layer of skin. Once this happens, it can not be washed off with anything.

Avoidance is the best prevention. Some of the creams with cortisone/cortisone are fairly good at helping to heal the ulcerations. There are several homeopathic remedies that work as well as doing nothing.

I can lay down and sleep in the stuff with no affect. My wife only has to get near the stuff and she will have a reaction.

Pat Ireland
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
The best thing I have found once you have it is Fels Naptha soap. It is an old lye style soap that will dry out the rash. It works well to stop the itching and will usually stop the poison ivy rash from spreading.
Get wet in the shower, turn off the water and let the lather dry on the rash for 10 - 15 minutes. Rinse off with cold water. It keeps you from itching for 6 - 8 hours, as long as you don't get hot and start sweating.

The soap feels like it has pumice in it and will scratch your skin, especially the rash area. It seems like the abrading action helps dry the rash afterwards, but it does hurt a little. After 5 - 7 days, your skin in the rash area will start to flake and peel. After the peel, the rash is usually gone.

Link to Fels Naptha soap.
http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/Fels_Naptha_Soap_p/d1001.htm
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Anyone who isn't sensitive to these plant poisons has an immune system deficiency ( a medical fact).

You're not normal!!!

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
Make sure that your doctor explains the "addiction" problem of Prednisone. It works great, then you have to ween your way off of it. Gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts
Thanks Pat and Mike, I always knew I wasn't normal.

I also have no reaction to bee stings other than a little tenderness when you poke the site of the sting, but no swelling, itching, or pain.

On the other hand I have a hyper reaction to mosquito bites.

Just so everyone is clear, there is Poison Ivy, Toxicodendron radicans; Atlantic Poison Oak, Toxicodendron pubescens; and Western Poison Oak, Toxicodendron diversilobum. They are different plants, but easily confused with others.

Pat does appear to be right, however, about being immune to one then you are immune to the other, as from what I can tell the toxic oil is the same on all three -- urushiol.

Apparently about 15% of folks are immune, though that can change, as it did for a poster above.

My wife and I are both allergy sufferers so we went to get the full prick test done at an allergist suggested by our regular doctor. This is a test where they get allergens under your skin. Interestingly, unlike my wife whose skin they never pierced, they would leave 40 blood drops on my arm each day we went in.

Anyway, I bragged to the allergist that I doubted I would have any plant reactions as the only time I could every breath well was out in nature in the mountains or forrests. He scoffed explaining that "everyone" has some "outdoor" allergens, as they call them, that they are affected by.

To his shock, I came back with zero reaction to any outdoor plant allergens. Thus, I guess it is not surprising that I get no reaction to urushiol in these poison oak and ivy plants.

As it turns out, the reaction folks get to urushiol is an ALLERGIC reaction. I had no idea this was the case before today. I guess I learn something new all the time.

Oh, I am allergic to our dogs. Looks like I'm going to continue to be an allergy sufferer as the dogs aren't going anywhere (though I'm considering the shots to build up immunity).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
I catch it sometimes and for me I use Lysol (concentrated) about a capfull in water as cool as you can stand in tub. It dries the rash right up. I have in some really bad cases mixed with water(ratio depends on how tough you are) and applied to rash and it works fast. Good luck. Jim W.
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
To all you poor guys who are using home remedies of Lysol and baking soda, corn starch, eye of newt and toe of toad, give Tecnu a try. You can find it in small 4 ounce bottles in most franchise pharmacies like CVS although it's more costly per ounce than a quart would be from Gemplers. I have seen what it can do for crews of park and highway maintenance workers who have to work chest deep in the poison ivy. I think you'll be impressed.

PS...I introduced my dermatologist to it several years ago. Now his practice not only recommends it to its patients but they supply them with a small bottle as well.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,727 Posts
We used to wash with grandma's home made soap. Apparently it had enough left over lye from the reaction that it would saponify (make soap) with the oils. WOrked for grandpa and me. Grandma has been dead for 20 years and so there is no more soap, but I suspect that a similar soap (naptha) might work well.

Good luck,

Mike
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top