Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed the last few years in the larger cities you see a lot more people standing on street corners holding up cardboard signs, it's the economy I suppose? During the Reagan administration the mainstream media was always harping about "homelessness in America", why don't we hear a peep out'a them NOW?? Bunch'a rotten HIPPOCRITS! You see a whole bunch more bums and panhandlers now than you did back in the '80s.

Not so much a question as an observation.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Follow that "homeless vet" or whatever he/she claims to be back to their car after a long, hard day of begging. You may see the poor victim of circumstance get into a Lexus, Audi or Beemer for a ride back to the hotel...

·
Registered
204 Posts
John first off I will say that I have enjoyed your posts over the years. During my career with Ma Bell I was approached by panhandlers on a regular basis during my work day. I almost always always offered to take them in to the nearest establishment and buy them a 'hot' or a beverage. Typically only about 1 of 10 would take me up on the offer. In response to your observation I will say that I see the same faces at the same corners and off ramps week in and week out receiving their untaxed income. I realize that there are those in dire need but for some it appears to be more of a commercial enterprise. Happy Thanksgiving Sir, Steve.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I saw two old guys panhandling in Phila five years ago, one of them was in a wheelchair. I was heading North going home after a long day repaing heaters.I pull a u turn and wait in traffic to meet these guys at the red light. I pull up and hand them a sixpack of water, thats all I have in the way on consumables. The tells me to stick and rams it back thru my window. I did everthing I could not to get out on that guy.

Jim

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Bunch'a rotten HIPPOCRITS! You see a whole bunch more bums and panhandlers now than you did back in the '80s.

John Are you sure you should be talking about the politician's in Washington that way?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Guy in my town had sign telling us he had cancer... for at least 10 years and was a vet some other times. Probably higher income than me. AJ

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
I remember back at the height of the media outcry about the homeless during the Reagan administration a local newspaper did an expose' on a wheelchair bound panhandler with no legs. I recall seeing him, usually in front of the old Meier & Frank store. He wore a field jacket and had long hair, so the assumption by most people is he was a wounded vet. In reality, as a teenager his legs were cut off by a train and the railroad paid him a monthly settlement, which, if I recall correctly, combined with his social security disability, added up to more than what the average worker was making in Oregon. On top of that, he was bringing in a tidy sum from panhandling, presumably all under the table (tax free). The article ruined panhandling for him here and he moved to another city.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
This is the result of dimocrats (actually politicians in general)trying to solve a made up problem, welfare and homelessness. Johnson's "Great Society" should have taken eveyone off the welfare rolls and/or homelessness. Oooops, that plan kinda backfired didn't it, but the cost has gone up exponentially each year. And we still have people that think the dims can solve this healthcare issue for "FREE". Obama is gonna use that private stash of money these people think he has.

It ain't over yet, they are pushing for another tax with this climate change issue. Them people can solve anything with enough of our money, can't they?

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
The problem with taxes is that they are no longer used to just run government and pay for government infrastructure.

Taxes are used punitively to support a politically correct agenda.

Taxes are used to steal income in order to work towards the goal of eliminating the middle class.

·
Premium Member
18,773 Posts
Here in Amarillo, there is a station wagon that puts the panhandlers out on busy intersections, and then picks them up in the evening. I have seen it several times in the last few years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts