Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Gals

Planning a prairie dog hunt next year with 2 friends of mine. I wish for your comments on:

1- Ruger #1V with the American Walnut Stock in the 22-250 caliber. I can purchase one new for $739.00

2- Comments or suggestions on a prairie dog hunt in South Dakota or Montana. Any good outfitters that you know. Any places to stay.

Thanking You in advance and Good Shooting

Tony

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well, I think I would opt for a bolt gun rather than the #1-V. I have one in 223 and it was an absolute nightmare to get it to shoot. Replaced trigger, and added a competition hammer, spent untold time floating the barell. It will not shoot as good as my Savage 223 bolt gun or my Remington 223. I like the looks of them and have another in 223 and one in 22-250. They just will not shoot the groups the bolt guns will. I have only saw one #1 that would shoot honest 1/2 inch groups and that was in 22 ppc.............Roger

·
Registered
417 Posts
Go with a bolt gun - actually go with a pair of bolt guns. You need two so you can switch off when the barrel gets hot. If you get a .223 and a 22-250 with heavy barrels you'll be hooked up fairly well on the equipment side.

hubcap

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I have a Ruger 1 Varmint in 22-250 and also a 1B standard model in 30-06. Out of the box the 30-06 will outshoot the Varmint gun. Take the others advice and go with a bolt gun. Pretty guns but not consistant has been my experience with the Ruger#1 Varmint.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Forget the Ruger. They won't shoot as good as a Savage or Remington unless you have a lot of work done to them. We WERE happy with our Remington 700's until SAVAGE came out with the acu-trigger and now we are switching to the Savage. The Savage out of the box is the best value and the most accurate. Our group has them in .204, 223,.22-250 and .243 and every one of them is a great shooter. <br>
<br>
We have been going to South Dakota for over 20 years and if you post your e-mail, I can give you a few suggestions for outfitters. We'll make our spring trip for a full week in Mid May. (Already got some of my ammo ready to go. Only 2,500 rounds so far) Probably go back in September too.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sadly, I have to agree, I thought the #1 was going to be the end to all varmit guns. Looked for a year for that magic elixer and it just wasn't there, go with a bolt gun.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Marco

Here is my e-mail address. I am also taking a Remington 700 in the 22-250 caliber and a Rock River varmint model with a 18 inch stainless barrel. I just love the look of the Ruger #1v.

Thanks to all for your advise and comments. All will be taken into consideration. If you know of someone who does a nice job on the Ruger 1V to make it shoot better, I would appreciate their phone # so that I could get pricing from them.

Keep them coming

Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
16,537 Posts
For your first PD hunt to be successflu (my opinion) consider a few things:

I shot around 2500 rounds last year in 2 3day trips. Mostly .223. I would not hesitate to advise you - your first gun for sod poodles should be one. Brass is plentiful, less powder and they don't heat up so fast. A 22-250 is a fine caliber for the longer shots but if it's the only gun you have heat and recoil will be bothersome.

Savage is good, some issues here and there. I have a custom 700 at 14 lbs weight and a Remington XR-100 at around 9 lbs. I prefer the heavier gun.

IMPORTANt: THE FUN IS IN SEEING THE HIT. If the gun takes you out of the scope, your buddy who is spotting will enjoy your shooting more than you do.

A heavy .223 will let you see, just like watching TV if you set it up right.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">
</a>

If you want a good shooting rifle the XR-100 is capable of under .3 inch with a good load.

I use 40 grain bullets (V-max and Ballistic tip) for speed and whackpower, around 3800 FPS.

Before 40's were available we used Hornady SX, even at the lower velocities they came apart very well.

A good trip is when you can't wait to get home to load more shells for next time. Take at least a thousand rounds.

HM

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK Guys

All advise has been taken and acted upon.

1- For those Ruger Lovers I have purchased my #1-v (22-250)

2- For those bolt action lovers I have ordered a Cooper X-Treme Varmint (22-250) with the blue heavy barrel. It will take a few months to receive, giving me plenty of time to save for it.

3- For those concerned with me being attacked by a herd of prairie dog! I will have my Rock River Loaded and at the Ready

Thanks for all your help and the few laughs

Tony

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi again guys

Now that I have ordered the necessary armament needed to take on these aggressive and furious prairie dogs.

I need help in finding a good outfitter and place to stay so that I may do my duty to help rid us of this menace.

Any assistance you can give will be appreciated

Thanks Again

Tony

·
Registered
323 Posts
tm1 is right. I have a Model 21 Varminter and it is the finest shooter (out of the box) I have ever laid hands on. I tweaked the trigger and that was it..Pretty to........Roger

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi John

I am taking this shoot very seriously. I will order an aerial photo of the battle field. So that we can put together a decisive war plan

Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
No. 1's have a bit of a reputation for being finicky. I have one in 30-06 that I'm restocking and haven't shot yet so we'll see. Some I know have had thier barrels free floated and that seems to help. Some are tack drivers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.