Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O/T BEST WAY TO

What foghorn said

Holding a faithful companion while they lapse away painlessly is much more appropriate than their last thought is of you putting a bullet in their head...get a life...geez..

·
Registered
577 Posts
O/T BEST WAY TO

Bras, the guys obviously aren't in a helpful mood, so I'll oblige.

Use the same thing you'd use for a cat...just more of it.

Hope this helps,

buzz

·
Registered
254 Posts
O/T BEST WAY TO

When the time comes, I think that you may find it more difficult than you think since you've spent so much time in the field together. Many people have become isolated from having to deal with something like this because of agencies like the humane society. I do remember a time and place where it was pretty common. Sorry for the loss of your hunting companion.

all the best,
john

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
O/T BEST WAY TO

A lass the painful subject of the good friend that is in to much pain to even enjoy a warn blanket in front of the ___________ (fireplace, stove, heater, etc).

Is it more kind to let the old pal come on point one last time and .........

Or in a comfortable place queitly with the help of the vet pass on?

If you have ever watched the body language of a dog going to the vet, that is more pain then I would ever want a good friend to suffer!

If with the vet coming to the dogs home the pain might end, or if the vet will provide the meds for a gentle end that would be the best way!

Al

·
Registered
72 Posts
O/T BEST WAY TO

I would suggest you take that old worn out dog to the field and sit down with the dogs head against your chest. Take your pistol and stick it in the dogs ear and pull the trigger. 357 would be good. Report back and let us know how it went.

·
Registered
21 Posts
O/T BEST WAY TO

Wow, what a way to get needed attention. When you think you'er ready to go, please ask here again. I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions. Wow.

Mike

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
O/T BEST WAY TO

Geez, you'd think none of you folks live in the country and don't use vets to do your job for you. People have been putting their own pets and livestock down for centuries. Looks like self reliance is a thing of the past. Most city people don't have the gonads to put their beloved pet down these days- they've watched too much Oprah.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
O/T BEST WAY TO

Personally Bruce, given your crass description of your relationship with your dog I believe you should have preceded your beloved pet. Anyone who might read your post should realize that there is a humane choice offered by your veterinarian. I have had to make this difficult decision multiple times in the past and have respectfully declined the offer to wait in the other room. Respectfully, I will not abandom them in life or death. Your indecision illustrates your cowadice. Incidentally, if your only relationship was in the fields, you missed out on a lot.

Robert

·
Registered
247 Posts
O/T BEST WAY TO

Robert, what did you find to be crass about what Bruce wrote?

I never thought it was cruel to shoot a pheasant or a rabbit, so why would it be cruel to shoot a dog?

To answer Bruce's question, I think a load of 7 1/2 from about 15 or 20 yards should put your dog out of its misery quite humanely.

·
Registered
156 Posts
O/T BEST WAY TO

Harold, from a hunters point of view, 7 1/2 shot at that distance would not garantee death and would be very painful for a large animal, not humanely at all.

The diffenrence is that Pheasants or rabbits make a good dish, a good friend does not. You eat chicken not dog in this part of the world.

Raff

·
Registered
577 Posts
O/T BEST WAY TO

(Foggy: these are the guys who wanted to *waste* illegal aliens on sight...let's let the guy have a little fun with them)

·
Registered
225 Posts
O/T BEST WAY TO

Why don't you just run the car in the garage for a couple of hours,That way you can watch your dog go to sleep painlessly on your lap.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
O/T BEST WAY TO

"Sorry to have miscommunicated; language is not always clear." How true! You did quite well in the idiotic department though, congrats. Hap

·
Registered
527 Posts
O/T BEST WAY TO

This is a true story. A friend of mine felt he wanted to put his dog down. The dog was old , had cancer bad and vet said he should be put down. His brother told him not to try it himself but he insisted he wanted to do it. First get a bottle of boose and some beer, put the dog in the pickup and drive around the county roads where you hunted together, after enough beer you pick the "spot" and do the "deed", now you put the dead retriever in the back and drive around drinking the boose and feeling sorry for yourself and the dog, then you miss a curve hit a tree about half as wide as the pickup , total out the truck and go to the county jail for the night. Cost at vet $35 , cost to do it my buddy's way about $1,000 plus 3 years risk insurance plus no truck. Take the dog to the vet. glenn

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.