Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend just had a hit and run on his parked vehicle, his insurance deductible is $1000. That sucks.

But since he is a well to do fanatical planer, managing a lots of monies for customers, I start to think maybe there's a reason for the high deductible. He never had any claim in the past 20 years.

Since my agent is on holiday vacation, I don't want to call her in Hawaii for this.

Here's my question: Any one knows how much savings on auto premium if the same "Full coverage/Comprehensive" policy change from $500 deductible to $1000?

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
For me, the difference between $250 deductible with full glass and $1000 deductible with full glass was pretty small. Of course my car is a 1996 Honda Accord (comp is somewhat important to me since my car amazingly enough is one of the most stolen cars in america).

I would think it would vary depending on the value of the car.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The difference in deductible from my agent was minimal at best. $100.00 vs 500.00 is $3.00 every 6 months. 100.00 vs 1000.00 was $3.85 every 6 months

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Steve, Everybody should have Uninsured motorist coverage which would take care of it. Have him check

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
Tom, I have had three accidents caused by uninsured drivers and I got paid for all of them and there were no injuries, except for the vehicle

It probably does vary from state to state, I am in Texas

·
Registered
888 Posts
Catpower,

Yes, it would vary by state, and by company.

I know the specialty truck markets I work with don't offer UM-PD in any state.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
My deductible is waived, if my car is struck by another when parked. I've had that happen twice in the last ten years. Nothing out-of-pocket.

PS - I have AAA Michigan auto insurance.

Best, Dennis

·
Registered
16,612 Posts
Be sure and get a zero deductible comprehensive.

A windshield will be totally paid by you if you don't. I won't say how I know this.

They sneak the 500 deduct in when you aren't looking.

HM

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
The insurance does vary by state and somewhat by insurance company. Some states require Uninsured motorist (UM) but it only covers Bodily Injury. UMPD (uninsured motorist property damage) is available is some states with some insurance companies. Also there are coverages such as Underinsured motorist BI and PD so if someone that is insured hits you but they have something like $25,000 coverage and they put you in the hospital for $120,000 or smash your new car/truck that cost $50,000 it will get paid for. Otherwise you get the $25,000 their insurance pays and you would have to sue to get anything else (if they have anything).

Of course there are some states that your insurance company picks up the entire tab regardless of who's fault it is so if you don't have collision and someone hits you, your out a car or they might figure that you are X% responsible and only pay for part of your car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts