Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be a good powder for .223? I've been using 4198, but it meters lousy. Just for plinking, nothing serious.
Thank you, gentlemen. And a very happy holiday season to everyone..
Bruce

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Look at Varget loads for So-Cal; very stable pressure with ambient temp variations...varmint hunt from cold in the am to hot midday.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
BLC-2 works for me with lighter bullets. 50gr and under. Like Reloader 15 for heavier 55gr. All of the forementioned will work as well. I had a load for 4198 that shot very well out of a Rem. 700 Varmint, but understand your metering problem.

Good shooting

Steve

·
Registered
10,304 Posts
If using a progressive press, you want a dense powder that does not fill up the case.

I have been using Accurate 2015 in my Precision and Patrol Rifle loads. It is superbly accurate, meters VERY well, and does not spill out of the case when using a progressive.

The above group was shot in a factory Browning barrel with non neck turned brass. The Browning has a Wylde chamber, and is marked 223/5.56mm.

Another plus for 2015 is the reduced muzzle flash in Patrol Rifles with shorter barrels.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm using a RCBS measure.

I've tried finding the powders listed at the local shop with no luck. Their selection is pretty limited. And they carry NO shot, which gives you an idea what they are like. I'll keep looking and thanks for all the help.

Bruce
[email protected]

·
Registered
10,304 Posts
NO SPEED? Accurate 2015 is very well suited for the 223. My load of 25 gr with a 60 gr Hornady V Max bullet is right at 3200 FPS out of my Browning's 22" heavy BOSS barrel. It is not a starting load, but is not at red line in my gun.

I load the same powder charge in Military brass with the Hornady 55 gr FMJBT in my Patrol Rifle. This one gets 3050 out of the 16" barrel. The accuracy of the Colt's LTWT Comp with its 1-9" twist 16" Heavy Barrel and Trijicon ACOG is better than one would think, when good bullets are used.

I started using 2015 in the Patrol Rifle so my Dillon 650 would not spill powder out of the hulls during loading.

I thought I would try it in the Browning. It outperforms Varget, RL-15, Accurate 2520, and 2230 (which was a surprise).

The Browning has a 1-12" twist, which is quicker than the average 223 bolt gun, and has a slight freebore, which might help velocity.

I had a Remington 700-V in the same caliber, but sold it because the Browning handed the Remington its behind at the range!

·
Registered
16,537 Posts
My prairie dog partner is using 2015 with 40 grain Vmax, as much as he can get in the case. I think about 27 grains.

I use Reloder 7 with 40 grain, Used a lot of 748 with 50 & 55 pills. If the gun doesn't shoot 748, get rid of it.

Varget and Benchmark are like sisters. If one doesn't perform the other will.

You can get most anything from Powder Valley.

HM

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.