Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last year for the 409 1964.in 1965 came out with the 396 big block.to my knowlege only used in full size impalas an biscaynes.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
64 Impala I believe. If you can find a 63 with the Z11 option you can get one in 427 c.i. and 430 hp. in the 409 configuration most Z11 cars in 63 were alum. front clipped. Enough tourqe to move the earth. Awesome h.p. l.g.

I've got a 63 SS 4 speed 409 barn car that is going to under go a complete resto one of these days...................

·
Registered
417 Posts
65 was the last year for the 409, along side the 396, but replaced by the 427 in 66.

Ever seen a Z16 65 Chevelle? Different platform in 66.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
In cars it was in a few early '65 Impala's. Part way through that model year the MarkIV series of engines, beginning with the 396 made it's debut. Last year on the TV show Overhaulin', they did a '65 Impala SS 409 hardtop. Chip Foose made a point of keeping the original 409 which was a dual quad engine. He talked about how rare they are now and especially in a '65 and the motor got the full meal deal with the finned aluminum valve covers really dressing up the old "W" series engine.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
texas and lijutic are correct. chevy high performance had a '65 imp in it last yr. that was an original 09 x 09. the ownwer was smart though, he put the matching numbers heads away. here's my '65 biscuit before it was completed last yr.

brett d.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
i've really got to get some updated pics, the car looks alot different with the wheelwells and assembly finished. here's the .060 over 327. it's all comp/ keith black/ weiand/ etc. actually just got the new carb for it today. heads are 2.02 camel humps with an unbeleivable port and polish job.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
Sweet ride, Brett!!.....I have a '66 BelAir 2-door in my shop...just getting started on it...it's got a worn out 283/glide that I just pulled out of it...I've got a 462 BB/Turbo 400 I may put in it but I'm leaning towards a 350 Ramjet/700R4 combo for the drivability and gas mileage....

Ron Burr

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Them days are gone.

I remember when Fred Gibb Chevy. ordered 40 Chevys special order with the big engines in them.

Them were the days. Now all they want is a $300.00 car and a $1,200 Boom Box.

How times change.

Bo

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
lijutic73,

i have alot of stuff left over. if you need anything, ASK! that ones got a 400th with about a 2800 stahl and 4.10 12 bolt. i don't know if the tranny and rear end need out, or a big block needs in! it is fun though. definitely turns heads. especially going into 2nd.

brett d.

·
Premium Member
3,905 Posts
Texas ton is correct the last year of the 409 was 1965. It was still available in 65 in the Impala for sure had a buddy in high school that had one. Not much of a engine in stock form, would not take much of a beating. Bill

·
Registered
417 Posts
I should have known to be more specific, the car was a Malibu SS 396 in 65 with an RPO option, Z16, though I know few people who refer to it anything other than a Z16.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If anyone is interested a friend of mine has a 64 Impala convertible 409 2x4 425 h.p.for sale. 4 speed white top black interior. Asking $49.000.00. Also has a Nickey Camero under restoration for sale.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
one of our locals here in Lethbridge, Alberta has a '61 Impala "bubbletop" 409 and a '61 Impala 409 convertable....WAY too much of a good thing, that!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I know you are talking about The Chevy 409 but I have to mention this. My friend who passed away here a couple years ago had and now his brother has it a Ford Mustang Convertable Shelby/Cobra. I don't remember the size of the engin but I know one thing it would go and you could hear it commin a mile away. You know how the Cobra (Built by Shelby also) sounded when it was on the move. This one sounded just like it. I'm thinking, but I might be wrong that the engin was a 427 Shelby Cobra. This was all original. Built and designed by Shelby for Ford. He and his brother now has it, does not take it out unless it's nice and warm and sunny. I have ridden in some fast cars in my life because I used to race them on the Drag Strip a couple years, many years ago. But I never seen a street machine as fast as this one was and being a stock from the factory if thats what it might be called. rich. (inPeoria, Az.)

·
Registered
163 Posts
In reality it wont be fair to compare Dyno Dons Pro built cars to the street 409 cars. But your right he probably had more success than most.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.