Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NYS Safe Act

Expanded definition of “assault weapons”-

Includes rifles, shotguns and handguns with certain characteristics are defined to be assault weapons, including semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines and one military style feature. NYS previously used a two feature test patterned after the expired federal ban. The NY SAFE Act also expands the definition to include pistols and shotguns with certain proscribed features.
Bans the in state acquisition of assault weapons, effective as of Jan. 15, 2013.
Grandfathers prior ownership but requires registration by April 15, 2014 and recertified every five years. Registration and recertification of grandfathered ownership will be subject to review by the NYS police for “disqualifiers” which are not yet defined.
Grandfathered weapons may only be sold out of state or a in state licensed dealer. AWs can not be inherited.
Does not affect the exemptions for the possession of an assault weapon for certain persons and entities including police officers, manufacturers and licensed dealers.
Effective April 15, 2013, only magazines that can accept seven rounds or less may be sold in NY. Currently possessed magazines that can accept 10 rounds may be possessed but only load 7 rounds unless on an incorporated range.
By Jan. 15, 2014, magazines that have over a 10 round capacity must be discarded, sold to a dealer, or sold out of state. Exception for large capacity magazines that are curios or relics (over 50 years old.
Effective Jan. 15, 2014, sellers of ammunition must (1) register with the NYSP; (2) run buyer through a state created database of disqualifiers; keep records of sales that are electronically accessible to the state. Bans direct internet sales of ammo from that date on.
Effective Jan. 15, 2014,mandates a statewide license and record database to be run by the NYSP. Require individuals who own a handgun or AW to recertify their permit every five years through their county of residence.
Requires notification to police of the theft of ammunition or firearms within 24 hours of discovery.
Increased penalties for certain firearms crimes including murder of a first responder or possession of a firearm on school grounds or school bus.

Important Dates
Jan. 15, 2013- AW sales ban and new AW definition (one defined feature)
March 15, 2013- NICS check on all gun sales except between immediate family members (spouses, domestic partners, children and step-children)
April 15, 2013 – only magazines that have a capacity of 7 rounds or less can be sold in NY, 10 round magazines can only be loaded with 7 rounds unless on an incorporated range
Jan. 15, 2014- magazines that hold more than 10 rounds become illegal to possess, ammunition sellers must be registered, background check for all ammunition sales, no direct internet sales
April 15, 2014 All AWs must be registered

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am disgusted to live in this state. Thumb hole stocks make it a military characteristic. I have a few old timers in my club with thumb hole BT100's. I guess they will have to register them. I for one will not comply or register my weapons. All this will do is drive our buying power out of state.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Magazines with a capacity exceeding seven rounds are illegal - most newer .45ACP magazines for 1911s hold eight rounds.

Ed

·
Registered
304 Posts
Federal judge in Buffalo struck down the 7 round requirement. Still limited to 10 round magazines.
It still sucks to live in NY. Upstate NY residents have to suffer because of the idiot lawmakers down state.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Trapshooters all over the country have assisted in bringing these kind of laws about for DECADES. 30 yrs ago when Ted Kennedy and Howard Metzenbaum (look'em up if you don't know who I'm talking about) were proposing all kinds of "special" controls on firearms they judged to be offensive...I can't tell you how often I heard fellow Trapshooters make inane statements to the effect of "I don't care if they ban THOSE...________(fill in the blank...with "other" firearms, not used in Trapshooting). Usually followed by something like "Who NEEDS one of those anyway".
We allowed ourselves to get into this mess, over many years of sitting back 'cause they weren't coming after OUR favorite.
If there's any way to turn them back...we are going to have to unite and refuse to allow the left to divide and (continue) conquering people who enjoy firearms..ANY firearms, for ANY legal purpose.
Thank you for reading...Rant over.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Don, no need to apologize for that rant. I felt the same way when Klinton wanted to ban assault weapons. Pennsylvania requires all hunting rifles and handguns to be manually operated and most of the users of "black guns" I saw at our local clubs seemed more intent on determining how quickly they could empty a magazine than how close to one another the holes were appearing in their targets, so I wasn't too concerned. But I woke up when that ban was passed and he proceeded to go after handguns.

Now, I don't care what kind of gun it is, if some lawmaker wants to ban or otherwise control it, I will stand right beside the owners of that gun in protest. Just because shotguns might be your only interest, don't get too comfortable. If that Klinton assault weapons ban had been passed in its original form, our beloved 1100s would have been relegated to curio status.

Ed

·
Banned
2,758 Posts
I asked a customer to leave my shop when he came in and started telling me what kind of guns "WE" didn't need, Semi auto anything, rifles,shotguns & handguns. Then no one needed an 870 with a magazine extension, full metal jacket bullets.laser sights and a couple others I didn't pay attention to. I told him a gun is a tool in any configuration one is no more lethal then any other and people like him are not needed by other gun owners. He was still babbling on when I asked who he voted for in 08. When he said he didn't vote. I asked(TOLD) him to leave. He said all those if banned would not effect the guns he owned.

I am in NY but don't know how much longer. My customers are saying they won't buy ammo in NY after the check starts. NYS will know every caliber gun you own with the ammo data base. Its backdoor registration.

Loading components are not included, I guess they figure criminals don't reload.

Our eleceted elite say 90% of the gun related crimes are commited by guns coming into NY from other states so how in hell are these BS laws going to stop anything?

P.S. Cuomo is at the bottom of the list for possible Presidential candidate in 2016 with 4% Sorry for the rant but every gun law in NY put me closer to having to close my shop.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
There will be an election this November. There are enough gun owners in NY to change politicians. ( Politicians are like diapers and should be changed often and usually for the same reason). The trouble is that many gun owners do not vote and what is worse is that many are not registered to vote but they will blame people like me who are outspoken, make many calls to the guilty parties and donate money to the NRA and S.C.O.P.E. SCOPE is a NY organization, (Shooters Committee On Political Education)with chapters in many Upstate counties. The SAFE act was passed behind closed doors in 3 days with NO public opinions or discussion. I am quite sure that most of the SAFE Act rules,regulations, etc, were written many months earlier and the Democrats were waiting for the right opportunity to present itself, ie: Sandy Hook. On Dec.31, a Federal Judge ruled the 7 round limit was unconstitutional for the Western Zone of NY. Larry Evans

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
The best man in a NY office FOR the gun owner on NY is Assembly Minority Leader Brian Kolb. This fellow has worked tirelessly for us gun owners.

Although I am no longer a resident of that over rated State of NY, I do keep in contact with Brian on issues of the state.

Anyone in the 130th Assembly District of NY should look to keep this fellow in office.

Dave in SC

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
The ammunition sales part of the ACT is up in the air, with buyer checks postponed, as the state police don't have a system in place to track such sales.

The ammunition sales part of the ACT had virtually been ignored by gun groups in NY and nationally, and much has not been written about it in the news either.

When I asked about the impact (or not) on clubs, no one could give me an answer that would standup in court.

I suspect many stores will stop selling ammo if they have to stop what there are doing and run your name through the system for a box of 22 shells or a value pack. 10 minute wait, 15 minutes, 30 minutes?

Many will be making buys in adjoining states.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Most laws are poorly written by government officials and complicated. It makes them difficult to enact and write the regulations for. Some of this may be intentional to allow police and government bureaucrats to interpret these laws as they see fit. Many citizens can't afford the legal costs to fight these rules, so they give up and go underground or quit the game. The only ones left are the criminals, who don't abide by the law anyway.

The other area that causes problems is the assumption that computers and software can solve all the problems that they have created. Case in point would be the Obamacare system ... did they get it working yet?

The other problem for government is that they are quickly running out of our money to spend. These laws and the resulting costs of systems and software eat up huge piles of cash. Then government officials pull the plug on some of the more costly parts which can be delayed until they can steal some more money from us.

Sorry, rant over. Bill Malcolm

·
Registered
452 Posts
To my fellow shooters and club members from N Y S. I live in Western NY and we have been vigoursly fighting for a halt on the N Y safe act. One thing we have done is start to support the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association. These people do more in Albany than the NRA and scope for us firearms people. The NRA as great as it is, has its hands full Nationally and probably doesnt have the personel or finances to fight our fight. We need to stand together as gun owners of all types from muzzleloader to shotgun to that evil little black rifle. Stand up educate yourselves a little spread the word to friends and family. Dont be beat down by the constant rhetoric of how NY sucks. Remember Nov. is coming these politicians will be hard at work already trying to get your vote,we should be to, trying to get them out. I wish we could make NYC another state so the whole country could enjoy it. I wont apologize for my rant beni

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Bill and Beni...your rants are not rants. They are the truth shared by the majority. Politicians who voted this act in are probably not gun owners and never have been. Isn't it amazing that if you are are convicted felon you cannot own a firearm but you can be elected to some public offices? Many of the nyc area politicians who voted in favor of the unsafe act have been charged with influence peddling in the nyc mayoral race. Alleged criminals making law abiding gun owners criminals. ed

·
Registered
9,707 Posts
First of I admire AveragEd for having courage enough to admit he was wrong about the so calle assualt weapons bans. He has since come alongside all of us to fight the uncalled for and unreasonable "feel good" gun restrictions that are being pushed by the leftist, and I appreciate that! The liberal mind is about CONTROL! Gun control is not about GUNS, CRIME, or VILOENCE! It is about "CONTROL"! The left HATES the fact there are people in the world who do not submit to their Marxist ideas, and see legislation as the way to impose them! I am glad I live in the south where, although we are not completely immune to this idiotic madness,we do not have the problems they do in the N.E. in pockets of liberalism like Colo., or the Left Coast! The only way to defeat the leftist gun grabbers is to VOTE! Candidates need to be made aware that gun control is a LOSING issue! Hopefully more candidates can be recalled or voted out like the morons in Colo.!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
If I misspoke about the law I apologize. I will make another one though. It was said earlier that the upstate people are being hurt by downstate politicians ( I'm paraphrasing) who make the laws. I live in the communist county of Suffolk. Yes we have very little gun friendly politicians here. But their are more upstate politicians who just want to make the emperor happy and agree with these laws. Sorry but the facts are there.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If anyone wants to know where King Cuomo got the provisions of the SAFE Act, just look at New York City's Bloomberg gun laws. It's almost a carbon copy! I'm afraid the time may have come for all of New York north of Westchester (maybe even further north) to become the 51st State. As for the previous post, check the facts as for where the votes were - New York City and Long Island. This November, Upstaters will take care of the few of our legislators who supported this Act. Watch and see! -----

1 - 20 of 36 Posts