Trapshooters Forum banner

NSSA Temp Rule Change for 2021

4761 Views 54 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  ThatsTrap
Got an email from the NSSA that says they will allow 4 FTF's per round when shooting reloads due to the ammo shortage. Any thoughts on if the ATA will go that route?
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
Son: Browning Citori CXT Trap / 32" / Country Gentleman comb and adjustable butt plate added
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sure hope not.

Most guys will tell you their reloads are as good or better then factory.

2 FTF's are plenty.

Its All Good
West
It wouldn't hurt my feeling if they did allow it. Currently my sun shoots factory - but if we have to go the reload route then that is something else. We are new to the reloading game so going through that learning curve. Either way it is what it is.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
I sure hope not.

Most guys will tell you their reloads are as good or better then factory.

2 FTF's are plenty.

Its All Good
West
I reloaded around 100,000 shells and shot them without a single ftf or blooper. I shot 25,000 factory shells and had 3 bloopers and 1ftf. The ftf was a federal gold medal plastic. The bloopers were Winchester AA. So I switched to all Remington. But with the state of my health and the shortage….. I sold all my stock to a friend.

· Registered
15,243 Posts
Got an email from the NSSA that says they will allow 4 FTF's per round when shooting reloads due to the ammo shortage. Any thoughts on if the ATA will go that route?
That's not what the NSSA temporary rule states:

"NOTE for 2021 ONLY: If factory ammunition is not readily available at the shoot location, and a shooter has had two instances of defective ammunition, the shooter may obtain a different box of reloads and then is allowed two additional instances of defective ammunition. But the shooter is capped at 4 malfunctions a round with reloads. "

· Registered
Son: Browning Citori CXT Trap / 32" / Country Gentleman comb and adjustable butt plate added
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's not what the NSSA temporary rule states:

"NOTE for 2021 ONLY: If factory ammunition is not readily available at the shoot location, and a shooter has had two instances of defective ammunition, the shooter may obtain a different box of reloads and then is allowed two additional instances of defective ammunition. But the shooter is capped at 4 malfunctions a round with reloads. "
I was close at least. :) Still allows for four with reloads if you have two in one box of reloads.

· Registered
15,243 Posts
I was close at least. :) Still allows for four with reloads if you have two in one box of reloads.
Interestingly this highlights a larger issue. Before the change the rule stated you had to get a box of factory shells after two malfunctions in order to not have your next malfunction be scored as a loss. Many clubs don't carry ammo any more period, regardless of the shortage, esp here in NYS. Guess it might be a good idea to start carrying a box or two of factory ammo in the car, although I've had more issues with factory ammo in the past 10 years then I have with my handloads.

· Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interestingly this highlights a larger issue. Before the change the rule stated you had to get a box of factory shells after two malfunctions in order to not have your next malfunction be scored as a loss. Many clubs don't carry ammo any more period, regardless of the shortage, esp here in NYS. Guess it might be a good idea to start carrying a box or two of factory ammo in the car, although I've had more issues with factory ammo in the past 10 years then I have with my handloads.
I didn't know that was even an option regarding the 2nd box of factory. Will have to look up and see what the ATA says about that. Right now I think after 2 it is a miss.

· Banned
9,591 Posts
It wouldn't hurt my feeling if they did allow it. Currently my sun shoots factory - but if we have to go the reload route then that is something else. We are new to the reloading game so going through that learning curve. Either way it is what it is.
There is absolutely NO reason to have Failure To Fire from your reloads.
Take it from me, I load 50,000+ shells per year. In the last 3 years, I had exactly ONE failure to fire. It was a bad primer. If your having that many issues with your reloads, I would suggest figuring out what YOUR doing wrong.
I feel much better about shooting my reloads, than ANY factory ammunition.

· Registered
212 Posts
Four FTF's per round of 25 registered skeet? Pat
In pre-2020/2021 ammo shortage BS crap....you get two FTF's and then have to get a new factory box or additional FTF's are counted loss. Now, for now, "IF" the hosting Club does NOT have factory ammo available you have the opportunity to have two FTF's from your reloaded stash. If you have two, you now have the opportunity go get another stash of reloaded ammo and get to start over on your count - one more time.

· Registered
2,614 Posts
Most of the FTF's that I see are due to the gun and not due to the ammo (or a flinch by the shooter). Firing pins worn out or trigger spring issues. Some people blame it on the ammo but that same ammo works fine in another gun. Almost every FTF that I have ever had that was ammo related was with Nobel Sport shells/primers and the firing pin would not even scratch the surface the primers they were so hard (never shoot nobel primers).

· Registered
2,399 Posts
As the post asked above...Round of 25??
Personally I think 2 FTF's are generous. And yes, I have had two with reloads AND factory in years past.
Reloads..my bad, New shells, Remington Gun Clubs several years back.

Maybe we should use the NSSA rule for "off sounding" shells that don't break a target.
Maybe we should count bloopers that the wad clears the barrel as a FTF for a while....NOT!!!!
Jim

· Registered
1,169 Posts
Uh... why would you encourage people to continue reloading when they obviously don't know how to do it?

I wonder how they would ever get better at reloading if we stopped them from doing it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.