Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Until this component shortage became an issue I loaded only Winchester primers. With those becoming scarce I secured some Cheddite primers. I’ve loaded a couple thousand shells so far.

I was shooting my Remington 1100 on the skeet range. (Yeah, yeah, I know.). After shooting the singles I dropped a shell in the receiver and then tried to load one into the magazine for the doubles on station two. The shell wouldn’t load and I discovered there was a spent primer preventing the shell from going into the magazine tube. The same thing happened one more time the following round.

I was shooting Winchester AA CF 20 ga hulls that had probably been loaded 3-4 times. I don’t imagine this will become an issue while shooting the shells in an over an under, but I shoot a number of autoloaders and this could become problematic when I’m shooting games that require two shells. I‘ve read the various posts about the concern of Cheddite primers causing an issue with oversized primer pockets. As I shoot more of these reloads it will be interesting to see if the two occurrences are isolated or I will have additional issues.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Pretty sure I saw somewhere on the Cheddite packaging where it said "Now USA-sized". Will have to look again.

Reactions: Trap206

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have used Cheddites for years in many different hulls and have only had this loose primer problem with certain European hulls and US hulls that have previously been loaded with Rio or Noble Sport primers which are definitely oversized. With regards to size, current Cheddites should interchange with Winchesters in AA hulls.

The only other size/shape related problem I have had with cheddite (and Fiocchi) is extremely high seating force required to reprime Gun Club hulls. This is probably due to a number of factors and I try to avoid this combination.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
The newer Cheddites are sized for American hulls. As mentioned you'd have a problem if you used European primers, previous to using an American sized primer.

I've only used W209 prior to this shortage, I've loaded about 1000 Cheddites, they have a new customer, as long as they are in business, regardless how Winchester recovers.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Until this component shortage became an issue I loaded only Winchester primers. With those becoming scarce I secured some Cheddite primers. I’ve loaded a couple thousand shells so far.

I was shooting my Remington 1100 on the skeet range. (Yeah, yeah, I know.). After shooting the singles I dropped a shell in the receiver and then tried to load one into the magazine for the doubles on station two. The shell wouldn’t load and I discovered there was a spent primer preventing the shell from going into the magazine tube. The same thing happened one more time the following round.

I was shooting Winchester AA f20 ga hulls that had probably been loaded 3-4 times. I don’t imagine this will become an issue while shooting the shells in an over an under, but I shoot a number of autoloaders and this could become problematic when I’m shooting games that require two shells. I‘ve read the various posts about the concern of Cheddite primers causing an issue with oversized primer pockets. As I shoot more of these reloads it will be interesting to see if the two occurrences are isolated or I will have additional issues.
If you used Euro primers previously, it wouldn't make any difference if you used Cheddite or Win primers. They would fall out. I've used Cheddites without any problem whatsoever. Something else is going on with your loads.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
I have read on a Remington forum about primers getting blown out on the 1100, from worn locking lugs and excessive headspace. Just a thought.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You may want to pick up a primer pocket conditioner from BPI and resize your primer pockets.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I mic'd the new Cheddites. They are the same diameter as Winchester 209's and average about 10 thousands shorter.
A sporting clay load that chronyed at 1300 fps with Winchesters ran 1330/1340 with Cheddites. They run better threw my large Mec primer feeder. I have not pierced any with my Browning XT but there have been a few with a slight black ring around the primer dimple.

·
Registered
11,779 Posts
there have been a few with a slight black ring around the primer dimple.
That's what a pierced primer will look like. They are small holes with only a slight black residue left behind. I did not even notice any black rings or any indication of a problem. When I was reloading with Nobel Sports. Yet I had to replace the firing pins after reloading 10,000 of them. I looked at 20 or 30 hulls 3 or 4 times and never saw and indication I was getting any blowback. Yet I got damaged firing pins. I figure I was getting a couple of them every 100 shells or so. It was not really a problem for me. As the firing pins made it 10 years until I had all the springs and firing pins replaced. So I was lucky I guess. Since I do not work on my shotguns. I let gunsmiths do the work. break em all Jeff

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
load that chronyed at 1300 fps with Winchesters ran 1330/1340 with Cheddites. They run better threw my large Mec primer feeder.
This would appear to be consistent with the information provided by Hodgdon regarding 700X powder, which was to use the load data for Winchester 209 primers and reduce the powder charge by 0.7 grains when using the Cheddite primers.

I concur on these primers feeding better through my MEC primer tray - with Federal or Winchester primers I'd have 2 to5 fail to drop per 100 shells. It almost never happened with the Cheddites - perhaps one or two times while using more than 5000 of them. Sounds like hyperbole but it's true. I think it's because they are slightly shorter and the red lacquer coating is nice and slick and therefore they don't hang up while feeding.

Also concur on sooting. Any sign of soot or carbon means it has breached. Take your receiver apart and remove the firing pins to have a look for damage. Probably nothing yet, but keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Years ago I purchased and used Cheddites to save money. A few, but not all, were pierced bad enough to be completely black on the lower barrel of my XT especially. These new ones have only a trace of black. You really have to look close to see it. Replacing pins and springs on a Browning is no big deal. I keep a spare set on hand. Cheddites are the only game in town at present.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just started using cheddites and haven't had any issues yet. I've always used the win 209 and since the cheddites are a little hotter i'm saving half a grain of powder per shell. Everything helps during these times!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I’ve run at least 30,000 plus Cheddite primers over the years.
If you’re having issues, I’d be looking at other things, not the primers….

1 - 20 of 24 Posts