Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So . . . I don't shoot competitive trap - nor competitive skeet for that matter - just casual rounds with friends on the weekends. A few of my friends have been trying to coerce me into shooting sporting clays. On the trap or skeet range the goal it seems, for the most part, is to break 100 x 100. And there are countless numbers of shooters that do in either trap or skeet. But from what I can tell there aren't many, if any, perfect scores on sporting courses. Since each course is different and even though you may beat your friends, how do you judge how "good" you are if you break 50 one course and 80 on a different ? There's enough of the Type A in me that if I do something I like to think I am improving - how do you tell as a sporting clays shooter ?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Its kinda like golf meaning each course is different and has its degree of difficultly from station to station and no perferct scores.See what the pack is scoring and judge yorself from that.
Jim

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Whatever you do, don't shoot sporting clays. It's a highly addictive game that'll teach you a lot about shot placement and how over-choked most trapshooting guns are.

ss

·
Registered
495 Posts
grnberetcj wrote: "Sporting clays is for those people that cannot (for a myriad of reasons) be competitive in trapshooting."

Let me fix that statement for you. "Sporting clays is for those people that do not wish to fall asleep from repetition and boredom."

or

"Sporting clays is for those people that want the challenge of a shotgun game where 100 straight is the exception, rather than the rule."

I could go on but personally, I am just glad to see folks having fun and shooting, no matter which discipline they prefer.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
The National Sporting Clay Association is testing a system of using averages
to classify shooters. The current systems of using "punches" has resulted
in too many shooters in AA and Master class.
The realignment of shooters based on "normalized" scoring will result in most shooters dropping down in class.
Like many 27 yard shooters who aren't competive at that yardage but don't want a reduction, this will piss off a lot of the Master shooters.
It will, however, be a compulsory reduction in class.

·
Registered
106 Posts
"Sporting clays is for those people that want the challenge of a shotgun game where 100 straight is the exception, rather than the rule."

Prairieviper nailed it!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Am a life member of both ATA and more recently NSCA. The NSCA
performs circles around the ATA. That said shooters are great people
in both sports. 100's are not as common in trap doubles and less in
sporting clays. SC targets vari in difficulty. Joe Kennedy (NSCA direct-
tor) has come up with what I think is a very good idea (take Your Score/HOA score of that shoot). EX. you shoot 80, HOA was 91 your comparitive score is 88.
Next shoot your score 80/HOA98=82 comparitive score. This gives a feel of how you actually shot. It is experimental this year, but may be used in class-
ification in future. The state, zone, and other large shoots have very diff-
icult targets and your score may be alot better than you thought.

Have fun with both sports, Gary Owen

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.