Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Williams county gun club has 3 calcuttas a year. They set the rules and are great unless you are a short yardage shooter and win. They advertise 2 yards off of your ATA and if you win the shoot you get 2 yards. My buddies and i went up and got lucky. 2 of us tied with a high score and the third buddie got a half of a yard because of being third. The friday after the shoot we got a letter thanking us for coming up and shooting. Congratulations on your winning score. You earned 2 yards for winning and the handicap commitee gives you 3 addittional yards because of known ability. This gives us 5 yards if we go back. My third place buddy got 1/;2 yard for third and was given 3 1/2 yards for third place. Look at my avg in the ATA web site. I broke a 99 and won the fall festival,. Other than that I am always out of the money at the big shoots even though I play all of the money. The bottom line is do not go to Wiliams county and beat them. They will change their rules. They want you to come and shoot. Put money in the shoot but uness you are a long yardage shooter, you will be penalized. Thanks for looking at my frustration.

Jerry Nickell

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Williams county gun club has 3 calcuttas a year. They set the rules and are great unless you are a short yardage shooter and win. They advertise 2 yards off of your ATA and if you win the shoot you get 2 yards. My buddies and i went up and got lucky. 2 of us tied with a high score and the third buddie got a half of a yard because of being third. The friday after the shoot we got a letter thanking us for coming up and shooting. Congratulations on your winning score. You earned 2 yards for winning and the handicap commitee gives you 3 addittional yards because of known ability. This gives us 5 yards if we go back. My third place buddy got 1/;2 yard for third and was given 3 1/2 yards for third place. Look at my avg in the ATA web site. I broke a 99 and won the fall festival,. Other than that I am always out of the money at the big shoots even though I play all of the money. The bottom line is do not go to Wiliams county and beat them. They will change their rules. They want you to come and shoot. Put money in the shoot but uness you are a long yardage shooter, you will be penalized. Thanks for looking at my frustration.

Jerry Nickell

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would you go back if they changed the rules on you? They give you 3 yards more than their rules. Would you go back?

Jerry

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would you go back if they changed the rules on you? They give you 3 yards more than their rules. Would you go back?

Jerry

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I really don't have a dog in this fight but have over a decade worth's experience running a gun club. If you want to have a long term successful shoot you must make the rules and stick to them. Changing rules in the middle of the stream is childish behavior that negatively reflects on the club management. Yes, you might appease some of the long yardage shooters in the short term, but in the long run the club will suffer. Most of the short yardage shooters will take pause when they found out 3 yards known ability was given. Period.

Phillip Nickell
formerly, Rowan County Sportsman's Club
Morehead, KY

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I really don't have a dog in this fight but have over a decade worth's experience running a gun club. If you want to have a long term successful shoot you must make the rules and stick to them. Changing rules in the middle of the stream is childish behavior that negatively reflects on the club management. Yes, you might appease some of the long yardage shooters in the short term, but in the long run the club will suffer. Most of the short yardage shooters will take pause when they found out 3 yards known ability was given. Period.

Phillip Nickell
formerly, Rowan County Sportsman's Club
Morehead, KY

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am sure Williams County would like to have as many shooters as possible attend their calcuttas. However, if some choose not to return I am sure there will be other shooters who will show up in their place. Apparently these three just happened to be lucky on the same day. That helps explain my streak of back luck too......these 3 apparently got all the good luck lately.

Rob

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am sure Williams County would like to have as many shooters as possible attend their calcuttas. However, if some choose not to return I am sure there will be other shooters who will show up in their place. Apparently these three just happened to be lucky on the same day. That helps explain my streak of back luck too......these 3 apparently got all the good luck lately.

Rob

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Gosh could the 3 be known baggers and got caught. You did it to them once and they said no more. The known ability rule kicked in. Lets see if you can put your big boy pants on and come and shoot from where you ought to.

If you got a reduction from the ATA I think you should re-read the rules. You were not elgilble if you got yardage after 9/1/2012 and you shot your 99 on 9/30. Also if you got 1 1/2 yds for the 99 that stays for at least 1 year and no reduction.

So maybe there is more to the story. By the way short yardage shooters have won in the past and have come back. Matter of fact one short yardage shooter has won it twice.

Mr. Philip Nickell you say you don't have a dog in this fight. Does it just happen that your last name is the same as the complainers. I think you should check the rules before complaining and giving advice. Being from Kentucky dosen't enter into this does it??

This shoot will do very well with out the Nickell family in attendance. Enjoy your winning and yes I contributed to it.

Don

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Gosh could the 3 be known baggers and got caught. You did it to them once and they said no more. The known ability rule kicked in. Lets see if you can put your big boy pants on and come and shoot from where you ought to.

If you got a reduction from the ATA I think you should re-read the rules. You were not elgilble if you got yardage after 9/1/2012 and you shot your 99 on 9/30. Also if you got 1 1/2 yds for the 99 that stays for at least 1 year and no reduction.

So maybe there is more to the story. By the way short yardage shooters have won in the past and have come back. Matter of fact one short yardage shooter has won it twice.

Mr. Philip Nickell you say you don't have a dog in this fight. Does it just happen that your last name is the same as the complainers. I think you should check the rules before complaining and giving advice. Being from Kentucky dosen't enter into this does it??

This shoot will do very well with out the Nickell family in attendance. Enjoy your winning and yes I contributed to it.

Don

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Jerry:

As I've posted many times in the past, some clubs are infected with a cancer I call "Club Geezers." These are a particularly nasty but sometimes influencial minority of old men who haven't gotten laid since Carter was President and they absolutely despise strangers - especially anyone under 50 who outshoots them. The growth of Sporting Clays was greatly due to trap clubs failing to control these angry jerks, and perhaps CG's were a factor in your situation.

In any case, if there's nothing else to the story, it sounds like Williams County might be a poorly run club - the kind I'd stop patronizing. "Vote with your feet," as they say.

-Gary

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Jerry:

As I've posted many times in the past, some clubs are infected with a cancer I call "Club Geezers." These are a particularly nasty but sometimes influencial minority of old men who haven't gotten laid since Carter was President and they absolutely despise strangers - especially anyone under 50 who outshoots them. The growth of Sporting Clays was greatly due to trap clubs failing to control these angry jerks, and perhaps CG's were a factor in your situation.

In any case, if there's nothing else to the story, it sounds like Williams County might be a poorly run club - the kind I'd stop patronizing. "Vote with your feet," as they say.

-Gary

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.