Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just moved to the North Virginia/DC area, Leesburg, VA to be exact. I moved out here from the west coast, Reno NV area. Id like to get back into trap shooting and was wondering if there were shooters in this area and where you all shot trap? thanks!

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Bull Run is public....IWLA is private are the others in the area.
Go to vatrap.com for Club listings and info about registered shoots.
Paul in (Fairfax) Virginia

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
If you are in Leesburg,VA go west on Rt.7 and over the bridge at Point of Rocks . You are in MD now & then make the first right , follow that road for about 2 miles or so . On your left side is Tuscarora GC , MD . ( adress is 4950 Tuscarora,Rd Tuscarora ,MD ) They are open Wednesday 5;30 PM till 9 or 10 and Saturdays 9 AM till 2 for Trap & Skeet and sometimes 5 Stand . On May 3. they have an ATA shoot . What ever Paul in post 3 said is for all VA clubs

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hi jeri534, as a fellow Leesburger or Leesburgite whichever you prefer, welcome to the area. I hope you brought some toilet paper with you because we have none here. Good news for you Virginia, especially Northern VA, has a lot of active gun clubs... for now. Our governor is trying to correct that...who would’ve thought it would happen here.

The best advice I can offer is to reach out to trapshooter5 (Paul) on this site he’s a SUPER guy who is always willing to help fellow trappers. Until then see the website link I pasted below for research options. Bull Run Shooting Center is nearby in Manassas and they have a bunch of different clay sports options. It’s a regional park run by the state, a pretty nice place and open to the public. Their website link is below also.

There’s an IWLA (Arlington/Fairfax) in Manassas VA that’s a very nice facility. There’s also one in Leesburg heading toward Hamilton but it’s pretty remote. Fairfax Rod & Gun is a private club that has a lot of dedicated Trap & Skeet shooters that you can connect with. They have a website you can see without being a member that shows what events are being held there.

Good luck and feel free to PM me anytime.

Virginia - Clay Targets Online

http://www.nvrpa.org/parks/bullrunshooting/index.php

·
Registered
775 Posts
If you are in Leesburg,VA go west on Rt.7 and over the bridge at Point of Rocks . You are in MD now & then make the first right , follow that road for about 2 miles or so . On your left side is Tuscarora GC , MD . ( adress is 4950 Tuscarora,Rd Tuscarora ,MD ) They are open Wednesday 5;30 PM till 9 or 10 and Saturdays 9 AM till 2 for Trap & Skeet and sometimes 5 Stand . On May 3. they have an ATA shoot . What ever Paul in post 3 said is for all VA clubs

A great club...highly recommended.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You best bet will be to join a club (Fairfax Rod and Gun - long wait list but great facilities), Northern VA Gun club (long Drive), IWLAF - much closer, very busy. Bull Run and PG county are very good but overflowing on the weekends. I am a member at these clubs and go for different reasons to each, depending on day, mood, weather.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Hi all, just moved to the North Virginia/DC area, Leesburg, VA to be exact. I moved out here from the west coast, Reno NV area. Id like to get back into trap shooting and was wondering if there were shooters in this area and where you all shot trap? thanks!

Welcome. jeri534. You are in a great location to take advantage of shooting opportunities.
Winchester also has an excellent facility for trap to your West. Maryland is right over the River up route 15. Please consider coming to Visit us at Fairfax Rod and Gun Club in Manassas Va. It is a private club, pm me if you wish to visit. We have our first ATA Shamrock Leather shoot on May 16. Fxrgc.org for more club info.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Welcome to the area. As H M mentioned, Tuscarora GC in Point of Rock MD and another one to check out is the Leetown IWLA in West Virginia. About a 45 minute drive from Leesburg but they have a several traps and open to the public on certain days for trap shooting as well as hold a few ATA events each year. Winchester GC is another not too far away and they host both the VA & the WV state shoots. A bit more of a drive for you, maybe an hour north, is Thurmont GC in MD that has a nice setup and right beside them is the MD State Trap Association home grounds where the MD state shoot is held.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I live just outside NOVA (Warrenton). Izaak Walton League's Arlington Fairfax chapter is good choice. But you need to join now as they close open season every year by about April. It's located in Centreville actually.

Fairfax Rod & Gun is very nice, but the registration fee is quite high, annual fees are higher, you need 2 sponsors, and the waiting list was 18 to 24 months last time I checked.

Bull Run not my personal fav.

BTW, all the libs moving into Loudoun County are trying to close gun ranges. It's only a matter of time. NOVA is the reason the pols in Richmond think they can take away our 2nd Amendment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts