Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone who has taken a Nora Ross clinic: Does she attempt to mold you to her style of shooting or does she work with your style and attempt to improve it ? I only ask because I understand a couple instructors attempt to totally change your style of shooting to mirror theirs.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
18,856 Posts
She works with you on your style. I took her clinic a couple of years ago at the El Reno gunclub. I took her clinic because she is a one eyed shooter, and I am also. It was money well spent for me. Her suggestions were good, and helpful, and she gave you choices to try. Charlie Henderson

·
Premium Member
3,069 Posts
I am a two eyed shooter and have known Nora for over 20 years. She is able to spot flaws in your game and she does not try to change everything about your shooting. I had just broken a 98 on singles shooting on a squad of one (everyone on the squad admired my shooting by the way) and when I was done , Nora asked me about my stance on station one where I've struggled for about 18 years. She suggested for me that I stand on one much like I do on 4 and 5. Much more comfortable and has helped me immeasurably. Also, she was filming my buddy who was getting very frustrated with his shooting and "Just could not figure out what he was doing wrong", and within 5 minutes she picked up his fatal flaw and corrected it within 1 minute. He broke 99 the next day. Nora is truly one of the GREAT teachers of shooting. I have seen her work with several shooters at our club with sage advice.

Great teacher, nice lady, and the " The First Lady of Trapshooting" in my opinion.

Charlie

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Nora will work with you to try and fix any problems. She has her way of shooting, but doesn't force it on you.

If any of my Grandkids develop an interest in shooting trap, I will pay for them to take Nora's clinic, early in their shooting career. Bill Malcolm

·
Registered
349 Posts
Nora is the best in my opinion, I had just started shooting and took a class, learned a lot and went back the next year my scores have only been going up. She is great for one or two eyed shooters. Nora is a great lady and I am glad she is back to shooting I really enjoy watching her shoot.

Deb Extine

·
Banned
279 Posts
I have participated in 2 of Nora's clinic's in SC and would be more than happy to sign up for another one. At the time I was primarily a Skeet shooter just messing around w/ Trap. Now that I shoot trap and very little skeet I would again benefit from her clinic. She is a great communicator and very good at analyzing her students method of shooting and offering positive instruction. She works hard at shooting and at teaching. If you have an opportunity to take one of clinics don't hesitate it will be money well spent.

Ernie Ashby

·
Registered
850 Posts
I took a clinic 6 or 7 years ago and remember things like hold points, gun elevation, filming while shooting to check staying in gun, basic fundamental stuff. Do not remember her trying to convert anyone to her style of shooting. I came away with several helpful things but as I remember there was around 8 of us in the class not much one on one even though she had an assistant helping. Sounds like from the posts she has improved her clinics over time. I will add that I have taken three other shooting clinics and the max number of shooters were 4 with more time for one on one. Before I signed up for a clinic I would know how many in the clinic and duration of clinic.

·
Administrator
8,523 Posts
It great to see all the positive feedback on Nora's teaching and clinics.One question that I have seeing all the postings on shooters who have taken her clinics is does she pattern your gun?Single Bl and O/U and does she have a specific POI that she likes to work with or does the work with the shooter on a POI that they are comfortable with?The reason I ask is that after seeing various clinicians work sometimes with a shooter who is established but wanting to refine some things making them change thier POI just because it is thier style that they teach sometimes sends the established shooter backwards a bit.Not meaning to hi-jack the thread George

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
George, I am reminded of a previous brief post by Randy Ross when he said he watches vertical gun movement of students on their clinics very closely. Randy noted that people like himself can shoot a high POI because they have little vertical movement where shooters like Nora can shoot a lower POI because they come through the target.

·
Administrator
8,523 Posts
Thanks Mike,good input.You know me always trying to evaluate and pick up on how various teachers/clinicians are doing things as with us guys in MT. we dont get out much!You staying warm up there or are you working on your tan?

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Hey George, it is still cold up here and I am hoping to ski at Big Mountain in January through March. You must know that Tafford and Bruce took the Nora Ross clinic in Spokane.

·
Administrator
8,523 Posts
Yes I did but have not had a chance to talk to either lately,work has been where I have been except for wen. eve when Im at FVCTC let me know when you are coming down to ski and maybey sneak in some shooting too.I will keep you posted and check the clubs website on who we might be bringing in for some clinics. George

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Of all the money that I have spent in this sport, by far the best investment was taking a 2 day Nora Ross clinic! Being a left eye dominant right hand shooter, I watched everyone's DVD's but saved my face time for Nora. She does not try to re-mold your style. She tries to improve your ability to break birds using your style as a baseline. She is very personable, down to earth and funny. I owe my improvements over the past 2 years entirely to her. She also remains a good friend.

blade819

·
Registered
268 Posts
To echo everyone else my wife and I took Nora's course back in Wisconsin could not have spent the money in a better way greatly helped both of us in our trap shooting. I would recommend it highly .

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Hosted a Nora/Randy clinic at our club with fifteen students signed up. They wanted two traps opened up. Nora started a squad then sent them to Randy while she started another. During the rotation there were 10 shooting and five getting ready to go out. It was a very busy two day clinic and everyone raved about the attention they got from the two instructors.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
I've had Nora in for one clinic and she and Randy in for two. They are a great tandem - she a one-eyed shooter and he a two-eyed shooter who specializes in handicap, everyone's Achilles heel.

Here are some shots taken on another foggy day at a clinic in 2008.

averaged_2008_030378.jpg

averaged_2008_030379.jpg

averaged_2008_030380.jpg

averaged_2008_030381.jpg

averaged_2008_030382.jpg

averaged_2008_030383.jpg

I call her "the hardest-working girl in the clinic business."

Ed

·
Registered
271 Posts
Best time and money I ever spent on trap shooting. We did get 1 on 1 time and she helped everyone in our clinic. My singles average went up 2 birds and I had a 90+ average in caps for the 1st time. Doubles average went up a bit but I need to put in more work and am getting my gun fit. I benefitted from the small things/ details she pointed out. She gave all of us constructive advice and never tried to change us to her style of shooting. I will take her clinic again in the future. Al Baker

1 - 20 of 29 Posts