Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to work up an unleaded load for my 25-06 and was wondering if anyone else has already done some homework to help me out. I am shooting a Ruger M77 target rifle with a 1 in 10 twist . I know every rifle shoots differently but I want some opinions from other 25-06 shooters.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Start with a Barnes x bullet in the 110 grain range and see how it shoots. You can also buy a box of these in factory loaded form from Federal and others just to try the bullet out.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
I have a 280 rem in the Ruger M77 mark 11 that i shoot 140 gr. Barnes TTSX BT
By far the best bullet I've reloaded for this rifle. In terms of accuracy out performed
Hornady and nosler. Tack driver at 200 yds. I also shoot the barnes 250gr. PTBT
In my CVA Accura, again the best Muzzleloader built I've shot. Copper fouling has not been a problem.
Excellent bullets.

·
Premium Member
12,003 Posts
He lives in COMMIEfornia... no lead allowed for hunting because condors might find a shard of it in a carcass and eat it and die of lead poisoning...

I kid you not.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I live where the Wardens are called Environmental Police!!!!!!!! In the past I spent day's working up accurate loads for all my rifles and I thought I would never have to do it again but in 2019 I will have to comply. I really don't want to buy all the options that are available in unleaded and there has to be other's out there dragging their feet on this one. I already bought some Barnes bullet's to try but was hoping some one else had started to do some homework. From what I have read it seems the larger caliber's with more weight work better so I may also get some 7 Mag bullets. But not untill I get the results on the 25-06.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Great caliber, I've got one in a bull barrel, tang safety M77. Shoots a load of IMR 4350 with a 120gr Speer Hot Core bullet. Also likes IMR 4831 and Reloader-19. I know this doesn't answer your question, but I would bet that it would be a good place to start. Also got a mailer from Midway USA and they have Hornaday GMX 90gr which is mono-metal and California compatible.

·
Registered
767 Posts
May I suggest you start with H-4350 with the Barnes 100 gr TTSX (tipped bullet). Try a starting load of 51.0 to 53.0 grains of H=4350 in 1/2 grain increments. Set the setting depth at .5 off the lands and once you have a decent group adjust the setting depth to tweek the load for accuracy.

Now how to find the amount of free bore in "Your Barrel" to set you seating depth using Barnes Bullets. With your bolt installed, place a cleaning rod down the bore until it stops against the bolt face. Place a piece of tape on the cleaning rod at the end of your barrel..this gives you the over all length. Remove the cleaning rod and place a .25 cal 100 gr TTSX into the chamber tapping the bullet into the free bore area of your chamber. Be sure the bullet stays in place and importantly your cleaning rod had to touch the tip of the bullet and not glance off the buulet tip.

Now re-insert the cleaning rod slowly down the barrel until the tip of the rod touches the tip of the TTSX. Now place a tape on the cleaning rod. Measure the distance between the TWO tape marks on the cleaning rod and this gives you the MAX loading length. Now subtract .05 from your measure max length is your starting point for the 25-06 cartridge loaded length.

I generally take 3 to 4 measurements using this method to be sure I have the correct over all cartridge length.

Scoutmaster.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I can't offer any help on the 25/06..

I'm only using a .308 in CA and Barnes non-toxic, all my other guns will remain lead shooters until I'm on the ranch in Idaho next year.

Nothing wrong with shooting non-lead other than the cost and finding a suitable load for your rifle.

Big exodus from California currently and we will be among them.

·
Premium Member
12,003 Posts
FREEBORE

Just take a re-sized cartridge - with a Dremel cut two vertical cuts in the neck (like slicing a pizza in half).

Squeeze the neck together a bit and insert a bullet into the empty case with your fingers - insert into chamber and close the bolt - now GENTLY open it and slowly extract it. You now can measure the round for exact length and free-bore...

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I used some of my Cabelas bonus points and purchased the barnes manual and some bullets now the work begins. Scoutmaster and HSLDS I use the hornady Lock-n-load OAL case gauges with the bullet comparator to get accurate results . I still cover the tip with a black marker to see the contact on the lands. I have been told these bullets don't like to be set close! They Need more throw . Anyway's I will work up the loads and give anyone that's interested the results. Thanks for the advice. Now if I could just win powerball and get the hell out of this state!?!?Unleaded BS

·
Registered
767 Posts
Well I used some of my Cabelas bonus points and purchased the barnes manual and some bullets now the work begins. Scoutmaster and HSLDS I use the hornady Lock-n-load OAL case gauges with the bullet comparator to get accurate results . I still cover the tip with a black marker to see the contact on the lands. I have been told these bullets don't like to be set close! They Need more throw . Anyway's I will work up the loads and give anyone that's interested the results. Thanks for the advice. Now if I could just win powerball and get the hell out of this state!?!?Unleaded BS
Poacherjoe,

You hunters is Kalfuckistan really have it bad, I have a load using the Barnes ,257 TTSX 110 gr for my 25-06 and have yet to use. The Hornady .257 120 gr HP ( now-discontinued) just slams deer to the ground. I am a Hornady slut.....the bullets just perform.

SM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts