Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shoot a MX 8 and I have been having no fire from Noble primers, not all but enough to throw my game off. Just a sligh dent in the primer cap.
In the past I have had no problem with Chedite or Winchester.
Anyone had problems like this with these Noble primers.
Read farther down that both of these primers are made of steel. I suppose that is the problem with my MX 8 not enough striking force.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I bought 1000 of them on the internet. Loaded some up and 5 out of every hundred will no go off. I usually use win 209 of federal 209 and they work fine,go back & try the nobel and same problem all over again.

I have about 500 left and will not use them.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I shoot a k-80 and it fires everything else that I use, winchester and federals, but trouble with nobel only-it's get regular service at ottsville. Firing pins/springs not the issue. I have a bad batch of nobel primers. It can happen with any brand.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I have shot a lot of them and never had a problem in hot weather however I can not use them in cold weather. You can clearly see the strikes on the primers but they will usually fire on the the second try. This is at temperatures lower than forty degrees. At first I thought it was my gun but I put my old 390 down and grabbed a new one and same results. Funny but I have never had a FTF in the summer with Noble's. Jackie B.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I have shot a bunch in a 1100 and Beretta 682 with no issues.

I was messing around in my shop a few days ago and disassembled some primers. I was surprised to see that several brands use steel primer cups.

Michael

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
OK, When you guys put these primers in your presses look them over very well. I pull the ones without any priming mixture in them out of the press. The way to tell if there is no priming mixture in them is if they do not have the red (pink) in the center (see the previous picture). Then you will not have the misfire problem.

Chuck

·
Registered
934 Posts
Chuck,

the priming mixture is in the cup, the silver part in the picture. The red disk is just to keep the powder out of the primer. You may well be correct about the ones missing the disk mis-firing. They may be missing priming mixture too.

Michael

·
Registered
163 Posts
A shooter at my club, has quite a few no fires the first time, then the second time he ttys it, it will fire.

Two or three times out of every 25 will fail to go off the first time.

His firing pin hits on the primer look good, plenty deep to make it go bang, and usually does on the second hit.

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
Had lots of off-sounding shots when using NS primers in cold weather; but no FTF. Won't use them again until summer is here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have replaced my firing spring, and the pin looks fine and moves properly, so my thinking it is not my P gun. Thanks for all input. Traded them back and will start using Chedeites or Winchesters from now on. No reasone to take any chances of a failure. Embarassing to say the least.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Hard primers. Fiocchi are hard too. My 90T misfires both of them and works 100% with all others.

I have some and I save them for my 1100 which digests anything.

HM

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I have shot several thousand and had no fail to fire. I shoot mostly 1100 and 870 but have shot some occasional SX1, which I believe has a tendency to light hammer falls, never a fail to fire on any, and I sure am glad because
when I bought them, I bought as many as I could get with one haz-mat charge, and that is a large bunch of primers, I have several years supply left. I bought them because I could not get Fiocchi, which is slightly oversized and once you use them, you can't then go back to the smaller sized ones like Win 209. The Nobel is also slightly oversized, so I could use them in my thousands of cases I had already used Fiocchi in. So far no problems with them for the past year or so.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I have shot well over 20,000 out of an 870, 1100 or 11/87 Trap with absolutely no issues. I like them as well as any primer out there. If I notice a primer missing the red/pink disk, I sort those out for practice loads. Even these primers seem to fire all the time.

I load them with Green Dot or Red Dot in Federal paper and plastic hulls.

When primers were short two years ago, the Nobel sport primers were available and at a good price. I keep at least 5,000 on hand at all times. When my supply drops below 5,000, I buy another pack of 5000.

Ed Ward

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have shot thousands of them with no problems. Only in the last year or so have I started having ftf's with them, mainly in my Browning guns. Light strikes especially in my BT100. This gun has a new firing pin and new springs so I was surprised. Upon closer inspection, I found that the unfired shells that produced the ftf and light strikes on the primer cap (slightly dented) had the primer seated fairly deep in the primer pocket. They were shells that had 5/6 reloads on them and I guess the pocket was getting deeper. In any case, these shell would fire in my other guns, 1100 and 390. You might take a machinists ruler and check the primer depth on some of your ftf's and see thats the case with yours. The reason they fire in my 1100 and 390 is that the pin sticks through the breach face farther than the pin doe's on my BT100.

·
Premium Member
11,725 Posts
I had enough ftf's with Nobel to know that I would probably not buy them again.

For whatever reason, they seemed to work fine in my .410 loads, but in 12 gauge, I would get maybe 1 ftf in 500 or so.

Never had an ftf with Winchester.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts