Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Tomorrow I will be taking advantage of Graf's offer........ I make sure I DO NOT run our of Vectan AS.
14°F outside right now...... Tomorrow I will also be taking advantage of the fact AS simply does not care what the outside temperature is...... just pour it in the tube with a primer, wad, and shot and go have fun while your fingers freeze.........
You think A1 would be a good go for 1 1/8? Seems it requires a powder charge about like my Green Dot.............. Larry

·
Banned
853 Posts
Tomorrow I will be taking advantage of Graf's offer........ I make sure I DO NOT run our of Vectan AS.
14°F outside right now...... Tomorrow I will also be taking advantage of the fact AS simply does not care what the outside temperature is...... just pour it in the tube with a primer, wad, and shot and go have fun while your fingers freeze.........
You think A1 would be a good go for 1 1/8? Seems it requires a powder charge about like my Green Dot.............. Larry
Well ya know Lar, - you and I have talked a lot about this Vectan AS over the years, and especially your use of it in 1-1/8th ounce (where there is no published data).

Turns out you were right. As you know, various people have paid to get AS pressure tested in 1-1/8th ounce, and it was just fine.

But as you night have heard, I'm completely out of AS, and trying to survive with the other powders, but I have to admit, - I'm having 'AS' withdraw, and I gonna just have to buy more of it so that I don't run out of it.

The Graf and Sons special going on right now isn't "free" HAZMAT, but 'reduced' HAZMAT ($10), and fixed, flat-rate shippinbg of $7.95.

So this thread isn't in the 'reloading' forum, - how do we go about getting it in (or linked?) to the "reloading" forum (where it really belongs) ?

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
I suspect a PM or just this post might get it moved if George MT views it.
Last week I found 3 boxes of "White Box" Estates...... 1200 fps......... different wad than last ones I had, this one is probably the RS21 or a clone but still loaded with Vectan AS and had 19.3 grains........ the testing folks have done here show velocities and pressures are fine at 18.??? in tapered cases.......
The bad thing about the Vectan AS is that it keeps me from using the other powders I have... I have a load I use for tapered hulls with titegroup, absolute butt kicker using a 1oz wad to get proper crimp.... but its not quite as clean and has more felt recoil....... but its not AS.
I suspect all the BS about firearms right now may cause issues with even our Trap activities... I am sure at some point its going to hit us....... powder on hand is never a bad thing........ Larry

·
Registered
54 Posts
Pete... I agree. I'm pretty sold on this powder for now. Great stuff. Burns clean, is consistent, and meters through my 9000H as good, or better, than any other powder I have used. Time will tell, but, I now have 22lbs of it to carry me through the Green Dot shortage. If this powder continues to be what I hope it will be, my Green Dot days may be coming to an end....
Powder valley and midsouth shooters supply have green dot

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Do I dare bring this up in that other forum in hopes of stimulating meaningful, "civil" debate? - not on a bet !
It's not the forum; too may people are not able to do civil debates. Just look at many of Neil Winston's threads that present evidence contradicting widely held trapshooting "beliefs".

·
Banned
853 Posts
the testing folks have done here show velocities and pressures are fine at 18.??? in tapered cases.......
Negative!

18.0 grains of AS in a Remington hull with a W209 primer is OVER PRESSURE (I have copes of the pressure test sheets).

With 1-1/8th ounce in a STS hull, 17.7 grains is dangerously on the edge at 11,275 PSI (@ 1,183 FPS), and 17.0 is also on the upper edge at 11,090 PSI (@1170 fps).

If people like Green dot, they are simply not going to find a more clean, and cheaper drop-in replacement than Vectan's 'A1' :

·
Banned
853 Posts
I'm completely out of Vectan AS, and have a bunch of Vectan Prima-V that I need to use up, so I'm going to re-visit this load, and re-test it tomorrow, and start making up some of these loads (from test string 1 above at is).
Update: I re-tested these loads today, and did some shooting with them :

My MEC #27 bushing doesn't drop ~17.7 grains of Prima V anymore (from the same lot # of powder even), - it drops ~17.5 gains.

So I also went up to a MEC #28 bushing, and that drops about ~18.0 grains of the same lot # Prima V, so I tested both of them.

Not stellar EV's, and SD's, and a little bit off the mark of the Neil Winston's suggested EV=35 fps, and SD=11 fps, but that's Ok.

Here is a raw data, as well as the EV's/SD's with the "high and low" removed :

They shoot awesome out of my 32-inch Browning XT Trap (with MOD + IM chokes).

I shot 2 rounds of Continental trap with each load (4 total) after my chrono session. I can't tell which one I like better !

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have been using Prima V for a wile now and I like it. I load 1 oz. in a Remington GC hull, Chedite primer, 17.2 gr. Prima V, CB8100 wad and Eagle shot. It works great if I do my part.
I made a correction on the powder charge.

·
Banned
853 Posts
I have been using Prima V for a wile now and I like it. I load 1 oz. in a Remington GC hull, Chedite primer, 19.9 gr. Prima V, CB8100 wad and Eagle shot. It works great if I do my part.
That's just nuts. That load is listed at 1,300 fps. If my 18 grains is producing 1,247 fps. 19.9's gotta be pushing 1,350 fps.

Seems like a waste of powder to me, - why so much velocity ?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I thought that is what the chart called for. My press is MT and off the bench right now so I can't check to weight one. It may be less than what the chart called for, I just don't remember now.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Moman

It was bugging me that I couldn’t remember the powder charge so I took one of my 7.5 trap shells apart and the Prima V weighed in at 17.2 gr. Boy was I way off.

·
Banned
853 Posts
Moman

It was bugging me that I couldn’t remember the powder charge so I took one of my 7.5 trap shells apart and the Prima V weighed in at 17.2 gr. Boy was I way off.
Gosh dang it, - you scare me sometimes Terry ... :)

But hey, thanks for taking the time to do that, - I appreciate it.

I think I'm going to go ahead and green-light mass production on these two loads, even with their slightly higher EV's and SD's.

The loads I tested above were a mix of multi-fired Gunclubs, some of which were pretty crispy, so I'm hoping that's where the high EV's/SD's came from.

I don't normally reload Gunclub hulls of such varying mileage, - they are usually "grouped" by mileage fairly closely.

The only think that I forgot to do the other day (when chrono testing) was to bring the Benelli Cordoba to test them in to see if it would cycle with the 17.5 grain loads.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My 1 oz load will cycle my Benelli Super Black Eagle with out any problem. I tried some 7/8 oz in it and not every one would cycle. I got a lot of fail to cycle.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts