Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime it gets cold, my shells seem very light and slower than normal. If I use federal primers it is ok but the ones loaded with Nobel primers seem to be the problem. Has anyone experienced this also??

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
I would seem that the Nobel primers are not as hot as the Federals. At low temperatures all powders burn a bit slower, some more than others, and a hotter primer can compensate for this.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I have had the same trouble...when I began playing around with NobleSpt. primers it took about 1.5 grains more of powder to equal the same velocity as my Remington STS primer loads.

I have about 1200 NS primers left that I would sell if someone locally (Grant Co. Indiana) wants them. 15.00 for all.

Bryan

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am talking anywhere under 35 degress, not all that cold but last year when it was in the teens it happened even more

·
Registered
544 Posts
Here in Western NY we have cold winters. There have been 'bloopers' and off sounding shells experienced by many. When the temp goes below 40 degrees, I do not keep shells in my truck, but rather keep them inside until it is time to shoot. In other words, keep the shells warm and you will have no more weak sounding shells.

Chris

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
I've had some problems with them as well. It seems to me if I keep the pressures up to the higher end they work very well. If the pressures are at the lower end of PSI end they seem weak. Even in nicer weather. Maybe its just my loads. How many of you are loading on the low end of pressure like in the low 8,000's to 8,300 range. If I keep on the upper end of pressure over 9,300 or so seem to work OK. Does anyone else out there notice this as well??? Maybe this might be a key to the problem!!! Break-em all. Jeff

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just got home from a shoot and had loads with noblesport primers in them. The temp outside is 32. I use a load that is around 10,000 psi and every shell I shot was fine. I couldn't tell any difference at all from 32 degrees to 90 degrees.

Mike

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Jeff- Many powders do not burn consistently at low chamber pressures. Low chamber pressure does not directly relate to low recoil. Look for a good powder/shot load that has higher pressure and the same velocity as you low pressure load.

Remember, all loads in a good reloading manual are safe, but they might not be very good.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
CC2000, there are many reasons why loads can sound bad unrelated to the primers. Candidates are straight-walled cases (Estate and Federal, for example) and wads intended for tapered hulls when one-ounce shells are loaded. These are always a bad idea, based on my and trap4ever's testing.

Powder can be a concern. If anything is going to work, it's Red Dot. Pair that powder with Federal 209A primers and matching hull/wad choices and your troubles will go away.

Neil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.