Trapshooters Forum banner

No Recoil Pad

4752 Views 27 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  jdsfarms
I've been watching ISSF World Cups the last few years, and noticed several people not shooting with recoil pads (especially Chinese Team)....this young woman won Gold and it seems she's always in the top 5.
I know that gun fit is extremely important, but ...this woman probably weighs 95 lbs soaking wet...can someone explain ? ...she shoots a DT11 btw

Sky Vision care Gesture Flash photography Eyewear
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
547 Posts
I was able to watch the Rio 2016 Olympics and they showed Kim Rhode in her shootoff against a Chinese woman, may be the same one. Got to see Kim win her first Gold medal in Atlanta in 96. Anyhow the Chinese woman she was in the shootoff with didn't have a recoil pad on her gun and I couldn't help but to keep looking at it. Wonder if it is part psychological warfare. Didn't seem to matter to Kim, she pulled it off and medaled. Again.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Wonder if those shooters have a significant recoil pad in the shoulder of the shooting vest?
I've seen a vest fitted with a special pad that was made for an antique muzzle loading shotgun with a steel butt plate. But good Lord it's 2021. You would think modern technology would have trumped this problem by now.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,353 Posts
When I'm recreational shooting with my 18.5" bbl I tend to keep the recoil pad removed simply to give me easy access to the stock bolt so I can easily switch between stock or pistol grip without having to waste time unscrewing the 2 recoil pad screws.

· Registered
547 Posts
That’s got nothing on an 870 Field gun with a plastic/steel butt plate.
Phfft! Damascus steel with a checkered butt plate makes Rudy Etchen 870's look like child's play.

Wait Rudy used a recoil pad. Especially on his pigeon guns which were SxS guns. Personally I like 37's.

Such as a 37 Trap. Prewar. With Sunburst pad.

Have a lot of pre '55 with hard rubber pads on them. Replace them with modern recoil pads to increase LOP. And because they work.

Shrinkage of those old hard rubber pads in the AZ. low humidity is ugly.

As is the wood color change of someone that put a slip on recoil pad and discolored the wood. Bastages...

None of the above are even in the ball park of someone shooting without a finished pad on a gun.

Have worked with the blue shirts to pass off to the white shirts Chinese that do intellectual theft since I retied from the military more than 25 years ago. And they are treated like heros for stealing when they get back to China. Going to go with my original thought. Physiological warfare. Looking for an edge, advantage. It is in their makeup and how they think.

On the other hand we have now have half of this Country telling the other half how we are "Not" Woke. ie: communist.

Wish we could ship them to China for a few years and see how they feel then.

· Registered
8,719 Posts
I had two English double rifles in .416 Rigby and 500 NE that both came with engraved silver skeleton butt plate and checkered wood, as beautiful as the guns were.

I only fired two shots (only because I loaded two cartridges) each, and that took cared of my curiosity. And I never fired any of my other double rifles without folded towel on my shoulder at the range.

· Registered
547 Posts
I had two English double rifles in .416 Rigby and 500 NE that both came with engraved silver skeleton butt plate and checkered wood, as beautiful as the guns were.

I only fired two shots (only because I loaded two cartridges) each, and that took cared of my curiosity. And I never fired any of my other double rifles without folded towel on my shoulder at the range.
Grew up with an Ithaca 37 that my Grandfather took to the factory on my 16th birthday to have a deerslayer fitted. It had a Mod bbl. and killed so much game with it that it almost embarasses me to this day. Picture is with my grandpa's Winchester 94 in 30-30 that I used for reference, but most people aren't aware of a 37 for reference. Wish I would have taken it with the 16 deerslayer and some day may.

When Ithaca came out with the Ultralight 20 they did a limited run of the deerslayer 20 UL. With the Sid Bell grip cap, they didn't make many of them.

5 pound gun. 20 ga. slug. 2 rounds was more than enough to say no thank you LOL.

Long story short but ended up selling it to a guy in Horseheads, NY on gunbroker. Turned out his son married the daughter of a farmer that I used to babysit for in the 60's in Chemung. The farmer and friend introduced me to Herters in a far off place in Waseca Mn. and their catalogs. He taught Air Force survival SERE school in (Western) Wa. State during Nam. After I would put his girls to bed would look through his Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape flashcards. And the Herters catalogs.

Tested on 5 continents, guaranteed not to rust. But their traps sucked compared to Oneida Victor traps LOL.

Thank you for the memories Steve.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.