Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats your opinions on these? The title of this thread is a statement from a trap coach.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Who cares what color your bead is....That is like saying that someone can't use colored shoe laces in their running shoes. The bead does not make the shooter.

·
Registered
69 Posts
all shooters are different. that's why we all have different types of guns and ammo we use. a coach that wants all shooters to have the same weapon systems is not allowing his students to use their full potential.

Rich Davis

·
Registered
142 Posts
My guess is that the coach is concerned about teaching the new shooters to look at and concentrate on the target and not look at the sights and try to aim the shotgun like a rifle. That can be a very difficult concept to teach especially if the new shooter is used to shooting a rifle at stationary targets and using the rifle sights to aim.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
It's the third leg of the three-legged stool of why targets today are too soft and scores are too high:

2-hole targets, faster shells, and neon light pipes at the ends of barrels.

Danny

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I black out my beads....

Tony

·
Registered
928 Posts
I think most OEM front beads are to "big" .... especially for handicap shooting. I like the precision afforded by the smallest diameter neon front sights.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Lot of folks don`t know that you can get different sized "Lightpipes."

I replaced my OEM neon green with a small white one.

REgards , Pete

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
I cannot shoot with both eyes open without a fiberoptic front sight that occludes vision of the bead to the non-shooting eye. Like the Uni-Dot.

To me that coach sounds like an ignorant jackass making blanket statements like that, because he obviously does not take things like the above into consideration. Find another coach who will HELP you and WORK with you, not try to make you fit to HIS preconceived biased opinion of how you should shoot.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Sounds like someone needs a new coach. The bead is a reference point and that's all. The target is the front sight and the eye is the rear sight. Head DOWN and Target,Target,Target. That's what breaks birds.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
I had a fiber optic front bead. I never thought it really gained anything. I was in an evening League in Texas where the sun was directly behind the shooters. That fiber really did it's job. It was like a bright red flare on the end of the barrel. The only problem was that it was brighter than the target. The bright sight made it difficult to find the target. I unscrewed it and put it in my pocket. Ended up shooting way better with no front bead at all.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
You folks that are using neon, what are you using for a power supply? How long of an extension cord do we need?

stokinpls_2008_0303272.jpg

Bob Falfa

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think Tim Earney has it right, but I do not like the coach banning them. It would be best IMO if they used words like "strongly discourage" and for "this reason" but to say no one is allowed is a bit harsh.

My son has been shooting there for several years, he shoots registered targets and got his first ticket punched at the last shoot. I really hope the coach does not try and enforce this on him.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Sort of a silly battle to fight. Maybe the guy is thinking that kids should learn to shoot with a white bead without becoming dependent upon a neon bead, but I still think this is s non-issue. Martinpicker

1 - 20 of 48 Posts