Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was advised by the local Kriegoff sp that the last shot making facility was shut down by the EPA. They were supposably fined millions of dollars for failure to comply. Anyone else heard this. It was surely news to me. Jackie B.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,258 Posts
Kriegoff rep is wacko and wrong. Or you misunderstood him. Terry

·
Supporting Vendor
5,510 Posts
I believe he may be refering to the last lead smelter being shut down.

Mayco Industries makes Lawrence Brand shot near Saint Louis and West Coast Magnum shot in Carson City, Nevada.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
skeeljc When did West Coast Shot move to California from Carson City, Nevada?

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was not trying to start a rumor, just ask a question, based on a local K gun repairman. If it was founded to be true I intended on setting out to buy all the lead and wheel weights I could find. Oh well, I think I will buy the wheel weights anyway. LOL Jackie B.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Google, EPA closure of last lead smelting plant to impact Ammunition production. Obviously, this cannot help our ammo shortage.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
It's a real shame when a re selling high dollar shotguns doesn't know the difference between lead smelting and manufacturing shot.

Maybe he can solve all the K80 blowups recently reported, LOL.

HM

·
Registered
201 Posts
Jackie, It was on the NRA News a few days ago. I think somewhere in Missouri about the last lead smelting plant in the US closing. According to what I have read it shouldn't affect the production of shot or bullets. At most it produced less than 10% of the need.

MC

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone. I decided to buy the wheel weights anyway. Five buckets averaging over 150 lbs for twenty dollars a bucket. Hope most of them will be lead anyway. I still have a brand new Stewart shot maker that I guess I need to put to work after all I have only had it five years. LOL
Jackie B.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Here in Commiefornia it(lead weights) is now considered hazardous waste and can only be picked up by the properly licensed company. (so I have been told)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Now that we can no longer manufacture ammunition domestically we have the UN Arms Trade Treaty to stop the importation of ammunition, just saying...

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Must be something up. Military is phasing in "Green" bullets without lead. That should take some of the load off of the lead producers, but watch copper and similar metals.

There are shot makers in the US, but the actual lead production is mostly being done overseas. Recycling is another thing entirely.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts