Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at Promo powder loads on the Alliant on line loaders guide and could not find a load listed for AA, Promo W209 , 1 oz shot listed. Yet they have plenty for 7/8 and 1 1/8 ?
I submitted a question using their email system.
I wonder why?
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
804 Posts
...because Alliant uses Red Dot data to load Promo weight for weight.
Alliant formulates Promo to use its Red Dot numbers. Doing so gives the same pressure and velocity for both.
BUT...the powder bushing sizes will be somewhat different; you will be dropping Promo by weight and NOT by volume and it's generally denser than Red Dot.
You must check the Promo drop weight each and every time your Promo changes to a different batch number.

Reactions: mg1polo

·
Registered
198 Posts
Choose Red Dot in the guide instead, and drop the equivalent number of grains of Promo. Measure your powder charges because Promo will drop a different amount than Red Dot for a given bushing. You also need to re-measure after every jug with Promo.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Alliant formulates Promo to use its Red Dot numbers. Doing so gives the same pressure and velocity for both.
The bushing sizes will be somewhat different; you will be dropping Promo by weight and NOT by volume. You must check the Promo drop weight each and every time your Promo changes to a different batch number.
You beat me by two minutes.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BUT...the powder bushing sizes will be somewhat different; you will be dropping Promo by weight and NOT by volume and it's generally denser than Red Dot.
You must check the Promo drop weight each and every time your Promo changes to a different batch number.
I did not see where Alliant recommends using Promo weight for weight for Red Dot. Can you show me where that is recommended.?

I ask this because I see many other listed loads for Promo in many other hulls and primer and wad choices. They just have 0 listed for the AA in 1 oz.

And I already weigh, often......

·
Registered
804 Posts
Guess you'll have to call Alliant and ask THEM.

·
Registered
804 Posts
As I STATED in the original post I EMAILED them the question.......
...and as I suggested, a call is faster than an email.

Note to self: put this guy on IGNORE!

Reactions: mg1polo

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Promo and Red Dot LOAD the same grain for grain ( BUT) They do not drop the same WEIGHT VOLUME ! --PROMO is more dense and you will need to drop a bushing ( maybe 2) to get the same drop in GRAINS as Red Dot. Promo is also a little less consistent . I use a scale to check my drops with each new lot of power.

·
Registered
165 Posts
With Hornady bushings, and my can of Promo, I am getting 18.4 grains of Promo with a 450 bushing. 456 bushing is 19.3 grains. I just got a 453 bushing, I should be just under 19.0 grains, where I want to be with a Winchester primer for a 1200 fps load. This should be a good starting point for you.

·
Registered
768 Posts
18.0 grains of Promo or Red Dot works great for singles and first shot of doubles with a Mod choke. I got 32 pounds of Promo about a month ago if you need some more.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
18.0 grains of Promo or Red Dot works great for singles and first shot of doubles with a Mod choke. I got 32 pounds of Promo about a month ago if you need some more.
Loaded some at 17.5/ 10z and went and shot them at INGC. hit 24/25 with them.
I think I will load lots now.
Bought 24lbs of Promo from CAC several weeks ago. Might hit you up this spring.

Bought 5 bottles of shot from Bill too. I need to make a trip up to MI. To get about 15/20 bags some time.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Promo is just Red Dot swept off the floor. The red dots are all dirty.

Reactions: acorange

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
If this were true, then Alliant is dropping enough Red Dot on the floor to make an entire separate product line out of it what they sweep up. And, they have a bunch of leaks in their system.

·
Banned
3,990 Posts
I understand that it is a blend of floor sweeping, and canister powder that is used in Herter's dove and quail.....

·
Banned
3,990 Posts
I was looking at Promo powder loads on the Alliant on line loaders guide and could not find a load listed for AA, Promo W209 , 1 oz shot listed. Yet they have plenty for 7/8 and 1 1/8 ?
I submitted a question using their email system.
I wonder why?
Any suggestions?
Don't be upset if they don't have any loading's....There response to me in the past have not been "gee, thanks" moments!.........

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Promo is Red Dot's dirty little sister. After using 2x 8 pounders I just could not warm up to the stuff. After using Red Dot uninterrupted for 35 years and not being able to buy it during the latest powder drought, I like many others I found other powders that were more than acceptable. But it seems almost sacrilege to load Federal papers with any powder other than Red/Green Dot or PB.
17gr. in a 1oz. load in a WW or Rem hull is about as close to perfection in a 16yd. load as there is.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts