Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question on replacing a lost N.J. Firearms ID card .. Is it law now to fill out application as you are first time ID holder ? As in application , mental health , and fingerprint again ? The problem being without an ID card for probably 2months .. Any opinions , and thanks in advance ..

·
Registered
235 Posts
Must complete the whole process again - application, reference checks, background check and mental health records check. Basically the same process for getting a handgun permit. I am pretty sure no re-fingerprinting though.

You must do this if you change your address as well.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've lived in the same house in NJ since 1980 and have gone through the process, paying the fees, background & mental checks three times due to my address being changed.

The authorities should accept your NJ Firearms ID and make a new one on the spot.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The same process as a new applicant except no fingerprints. Expect the same wait times as the others too.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
In NJ your fingerprints are good for 5 years then must be retaken if replacing FID card or obtaining handgun purchase permits.

·
Registered
263 Posts
While you are waiting for the new card, ask the police to give you a letter stating that you are in the process of getting a valid card replaced. You won't be able to purchase, but should be able to transport.
When I moved a fews years ago and applied for the new card, I had to surrender the old one and they gave me the letter in the interim.
Doc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts