Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if you guys might be able to help me out? I'm loading Remington Nitro 27 hulls with 15.5 gr. of Alliant E3 powder and one ounce of shot. With a DownRange Spolar 1 oz. wad, the crimp is caving in. Zero wad pressure. I tried a Downrange XL1 green wad and experienced the same issue, caved in crimp. Then I tried a Claybuster 7/8 oz. wad (CB0178) and it causes the crimps to swell out. Do you guys have a recommendation on a wad that falls somewhere in the middle on stack heighth?

· Registered
36,900 Posts
Wondering if you guys might be able to help me out? I'm loading Remington Nitro 27 hulls with 15.5 gr. of Alliant E3 powder and one ounce of shot. With a DownRange Spolar 1 oz. wad, the crimp is caving in. Zero wad pressure. I tried a Downrange XL1 green wad and experienced the same issue, caved in crimp. Then I tried a Claybuster 7/8 oz. wad (CB0178) and it causes the crimps to swell out. Do you guys have a recommendation on a wad that falls somewhere in the middle on stack heighth?
Have you tried the Figure 8, one oz wad? I use the ClayBusters clone with excellant results.

· Registered
2,440 Posts
The first 1 oz 15.5 gr E3 powder 1 oz load that they show on Alliants web-site they show to use the Win 7/8 oz WAA12L wad and the very long Down Range DRXXL Pink wad. Most of the 1 oz E3 loads in the Nitro 27 hulls are showing more than 17 gr of E3 powder with the 1 oz wads..

· Registered
1,167 Posts
If you still have problems grab a bag of WAA12SL (The pink One Ounce load) or if you can find them Green Dusters. I used Green Dusters in the picture below. I had a similar problem with 700X powder, could not get a flat crimp. Per Kevin at Down Range the Green Duster is slight larger in diameter at the powder cup. It will wedge into the hull and stay above the powder only compressing enough on final crimp. I was just talking about this the other night with another member. I also just finished making some one ounce loads using TGT clones, that did not work well because they sat too low in the hull. I changed to Green Dusters and a perfect to slightly domes crimp. The picture below is of the two loads and then when the are next to each other. The Green Duster definitely sits higher in the hull. I have never loaded with E3 but this wad swap worked well with dense powders.

Good Luck
Hand Gesture Finger Line Thumb
Tobacco Finger Gesture Thumb Drink
Liquid Drinkware Tableware Fluid Solution

Here is a picture of the finished product. The new hulls at the top have Green Duster wads. The two lower ones have a TGT clone.

Attachments

· Registered
715 Posts
I love Niitro hulls and have loaded quite a few one ounce loads. Here is a photo of mine.

Recipe is
17.5 gr. Titewad (27 MEC bushing)
CB1100-12
Win 209 Primer

According to my Accurate manual, your load should also be a 27 bushing, so you should get similar results with that wad.

Good luck and all the best.

Toy Alcoholic beverage Beverage can Drink Beer

Reactions: recrowl

· Registered
7,252 Posts
View attachment 1755644
The first cartridge is with the E3 and Spolar wad, 2nd is with the E3 and Claybuster 7/8 oz. wad and the last is my favorite load with Clays powder and the Spolar wad. Just can't find any Clays right now.
I feel your pain- I have maybe half a Mec powder bottle of Clays left. I have some tightwad powder for stack height issues in AAHS hulls. The AAHS hull volume is a bit less so denser powders have better stack height with my wads for STS hulls. Got any AAHS hulls? Maybe your E3 would work with your wads in an AAHS? If a Nitro hull crimp dishes, and AAHS might be just right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I feel your pain- I have maybe half a Mec powder bottle of Clays left. I have some tightwad powder for stack height issues in AAHS hulls. The AAHS hull volume is a bit less so denser powders have better stack height with my wads for STS hulls. Got any AAHS hulls? Maybe your E3 would work with your wads in an AAHS? If a Nitro hull crimp dishes, and AAHS might be just right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes sir, I've got quite a few of the AAHS hulls and and my E3 load with the Spolar wad works great in them. I really prefer the Remington hulls, but I may just hold onto them until more Clays becomes available. I've got some TGT and SL wads coming from a friend to try in my Remington hulls.

· Premium Member
172 Posts
By the way, i load with Clays, Universal and International. I found International will give you less pressure with more speed. 22.3 grains of International, Windkammer, CCI 209 gives me 8300 LUP at 1255 feet per second. Clays and Universal are both higher pressure but you can get 1310 with Universal but it is 10200PSI.

· Registered
7,252 Posts
Yes sir, I've got quite a few of the AAHS hulls and and my E3 load with the Spolar wad works great in them. I really prefer the Remington hulls, but I may just hold onto them until more Clays becomes available. I've got some TGT and SL wads coming from a friend to try in my Remington hulls.
I found it interesting that you want to make the E3 work in the STS hull. I get it, kind of. Since I am running out of Clays, I briefly considered using my Tightwad in my STS hulls. But then I shook myself out of it..... I already have a wonderful combination of Tightwad, WAA12 wad, and ASHS hull. Why even bother trying Tightwad in an STS hull when it works great in the AAHS? When the Clays is gone, I will just crack open a garbage can full of AAHS and carry on with my Tightwad. When Clays is available again, I will crack open the STS garbage can full of hulls instead. Oh wait, I am also playing with federal paper hulls for the first time, so yeah, I get the whole "lets see how it works" thing. LOL.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.