Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably been posted a hundred times but here we go.
Looking to get close to the nitro speed.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tommy Nations

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Use the STS/N27 hull in good condition, use a Remington STS primer, use Remington TGT12 wads (normally a 1 Oz wad), use 1 1/8 Oz of magnum grade #7 1/2 or #8, use Titegroup powder. Get the specific powder charge wt. & velocity data from Hodgdons.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Tommy... You might want to double check the loading information that kenf, above, posted. Not a good idea subbing W209's for Remington 209's due to the fact that the Winchester primer is hotter that the Remmy's and will increase your pressures accordingly, especially with Titewad powder. Be safe now, not sorry later... Just sayin', ya know?.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Reactions: Garyd

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check into that. I just got a little of the
titegroup so i'm putting out feelers for a good
handicap load. I do most of loading with win 209
Thanks for the info so far.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
You can pretty much duplicate that load using about 22 grains of Green Dot if memory serves.

Reactions: Garyd

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Yes you can use other primers, most substitutions are going to use a bit less powder to get the desired velocity/pressure. Lots of data is available from Hodgdons for these substitutions. The op did ask for the clone and the clone includes the use of the STS primer.

FWIW, I much prefer Green Dot for making HC type loads. Titegroup is such a dense powder that it is very possible to drop a short or zero powder charge and not be able to see that by looking at the finished crimp. And this does happen quite a bit. With Green Dot you are dropping a lot more volume and using wads designed for the 1 1/8 Oz shot charges. Any powder drop problem is very noticable by looking at the finished crimp, but the drop problems are minimal with Green Dot in my experience.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
22 gr. greendot, figure 8 clone, cheddite primer,1.125 oz. hard shot, works for me....

tony kennedy

·
Registered
16,612 Posts
I use Titegroup and a DR chartreuse wad. 18.2 is the dose, 18.5 gets it a little faster.

The wad has the characteristics of the Versalite, but it's a one ounce wad. A 1 & 1/8 oz load fits perfectly with the dense TG powder.

Other guys I know use the DR TGT clone with good results, same powder charge. I would use Remmy primers if they weren't priced higher than emeralds.

Using Win primers now. Cheddites OK in a pinch.

Great stuff.

HM

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
Titegroup doesn't meter constistanly enough to suit me, Like a couple of post above, my vote is 22 grains of Green Dot. I used that load at a lot of protection shoots. Works well!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The OP has Titegroup and wants to mimic a Nitro27 load.

The OP didn't specify Nitro27 - 1 ounce @ 1290 fps or Nitro27 - 1 & 1/8 ounce @ 1235 fps. The latter can only be done with a R209 since the pressure is right at max and a substitution is not warranted.

Hodgdon has data for 1 ounce @1290 with Rem hulls, TGT or WAA12SL wads, R209 or W209 primers and Titegroup.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Can Clays be used rather than titewad? Only because I have alot of clays.
Rem hull, Tgt 12 wad, Win 209, 1 1/8 7.5 mag shot & Clays powder ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
use a cheddite 209 primer with 19 grains of clays using the one ounce windjammer wad with an ounce of 8 shot in either an STS, nitro, or gun club hull ths will get you about 1250-1300 fps. Not to forget that these loads don't belt you like the nitro's allowing for a load that you can shoot all day.

·
Premium Member
11,728 Posts
You can use that combination (probably a Figure 8 wad though, since Clays is a bulky powder) but the pressure gets too high to get you to the advertised 1235 fps of the Nitro 27 factory shells. The max safe load with that combination is 1200 fps according to the Hodgdon data tables.

Reactions: losclay

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Use the STS/N27 hull in good condition, use a Remington STS primer, use Remington TGT12 wads (normally a 1 Oz wad), use 1 1/8 Oz of magnum grade #7 1/2 or #8, use Titegroup powder. Get the specific powder charge wt. & velocity data from Hodgdons.
I use the same recipe up to the powder. But I load for 1200 fps and not the 1245 Nitro load, by using 700x 17.5 gr. Nice soft load and not the hammer on the shoulder. I don't know why you need the extra 45 fps, but maybe that why I'm not an All American shooter. - Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
The Nitro 27 clone load uses Titegroup, not Titewad. They are completely different powders. Nitro 27 loads are either 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz and go at speeds in excess of 1200 fps. Clays, in 9/8 oz. loads, pretty much top out at 1200 fps. Clays is too fast of a powder for this application. Also, Titegroup is one of the densest of powders while Clays is one of the more bulky powders. There are just too many differences to make Clays an acceptable powder for the type of load Nitro 27 is.

·
Banned
3,990 Posts

·
Registered
16,612 Posts
The original post was for a Nitro clone.

I realize everyone has a pet load, and I'm sure they are all valid. However, Remington uses Titegroup and a TGT wad.

18 grains will get you as close as you want to be.

HM

1 - 20 of 27 Posts