Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever heard of one of these? This one is pretty old. REALLLLLLY wide rib. Looks like a Winchester 101.
IMG_20151212_152056.jpg
IMG_20151212_152105.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,482 Posts
I think they came out somewhere around 1967. I remember seeing a picture of a Nikko Golden Eagle in a shooting magazine. Really liked the looks of that gun. Bulge.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Tim: Frostyman has had at least two of them and shoots them rather well for dbls .

Reactions: timb99

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
I have one. Nikko Shadow Trap. They were made by Kodensha of Japan. They are 101`s with a different name. Mine was made in 1971 and imported by Tradewinds of Tacoma Washington. Quite a history to them.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Golden Eagles were made by Nikko Limited in Tochigi Japan and were trade names used by Kodensha Co Ltd also of Tochigi who also produced Winchesters model 101 O/U and single barrel along with model 23 SXS and some other models. Niko also manufactured a slew of private label and standard branded shotguns and rifles for global customers, all rated above par in quality. The wide rib was pioneered by Winchesters FN produced "Broadway" which had a period of success causing a number of shotgun manufacturers to copy this feature.

Kodensha had a very jaded history eventually disappearing off the face of the earth. A Japanese friend claimed the Japanese mob was involved

Surfer

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
There were a few at our local club back in the 70's and 80's. Kinda fancy with very nice wood but were good shooters. I shot a few rounds of doubles with one.

Ron Burr

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
the triple layer was the nikko shadow indy. very soft alloy dented too easily. i had a skeet version. broader than a broadway trap.
high standard marketed the same gun as the hi standard shadow.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I think that Miroku was a manufacture of some of these shotguns.A lot of Browning shotguns are from Miroku.They are a excellent gun maker.The BT 99 from Olin in Japan were a great single barrel shotgun that was a revolution to the single barrel trap gun.A poor mans 4 E Ithaca.Most of the Japaneese shotguns were good quality.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I have several Nikko 5000's or Nikko Golden Eagles. The one in the picture is a Shadow model, it is an earlier and rougher version of the 5000's or the Golden Eagles. It does have a rib that is about an inch wide. Nikko 5000's and Golden Eagles (and a few other variations) were similar to the Winchester 101 pigeon grades but very few parts will actually interchange. They were made in the same factory as the Winchesters. I am not sure if the Shadow version was made in that factory or somewhere else at an earlier time.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
The BT-99 did not come from Olin Kodensha. The forerunner of the BT-99 was developed by BC Miroku for Charles Daly and I think there were two different models made a first and second generation. I have one of the later renditions, very few were produced before Browning took over Daly's production making a few minor changes naming it the BT-99

Surfer

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
yep...its the reason i sold all my dalys, nikkos, and 101's.
kick!

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
Does anyone remember anything about a certain production of (maybe) 101 or 1001 guns being recalled for structural issues? Seems like it was in the early 70's. I just cannot remember anymore.

·
Registered
642 Posts
When did Winchester ever have ownership/manufacture of the Belguin made broadway or the Browning owned Citori? Vice-versa is true I think w/ reintroduced 101 and select models.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts