Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got in a really nicely written and condensed book by Clyde Martz titled "TRAPSHOOTING TECHNIQUES". Clyde won the Senior Vet Singles Champion of Champions at the Grand in 2005. So his pedigree seems sound.

The book is a paperback book and contains the bare essentials written in a clear and straight forward manner. If you are a beginning trapshooter or a seasoned vet, there are some pearls of wisdom to be gleaned for sure. Martz writes and organizes the book as an technical writer would... (later I was to find that he was a Phyisics Professor).

I got my copy from Amazon.

If Clyde is here, please accept my compliments.... if he has Completed His Career... well I wish I would have been able to meet him and discuss some concepts with him. He apparently did a lot of shooting in Penn at the West Penn Trapshooting Club and started shooting trap in 1991 at the age of 57 (which would make Clyde about 79 or so now).

In these cold Northeastern days, when you cannot get out and shoot, I sometimes find reading about Trap to be of some comfort. Clyde's little book is just that.

Kudos....

Any of you know him?

Art

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Senior Veterans in ATA must be 70 years old or older. It is a special sub classification and must be declared
by the shooter during meet registration and also can be specified on your ATA average card. Not all shoots have senior vet categories (usually the smaller local meets do not from what I have seen).

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would like to comment on this. I happen to shoot with Clyde quite often at his home club in Western PA. Clyde is a GREAT singles shooter! Other than that, not very many trophies to speak of. I think that someone writing a book about trapshooting should be able to speak about all three events. Ask him what his doubles average is, Oh....he doesn't bother to shoot those. Ask him how he shoots the 27 yard line......oops don't think he's ever gotten that pin. Guess if I win an event at a big shoot I should start selling books? I know I'm not good enough to give advice, so I won't. Please leave the book writing to the experts who excel in trap shooting as a whole. Don't get me wrong, Clyde is a great person but he is not an expert by any stretch. When he starts bringing home HOAs' I'll buy the book.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've known Clyde for many years and the advice and personal support he has given me over time have only helped me. The book he wrote gives sound advice to a new trapshooter or even to help remind a seasoned shooter of the importance of good solid fundamental skills we often overlook.I don't see why you wouldn't listen to someone just because they don't shoot for a living or are considered a " expert "??? Andy Z.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Clyde has not completed his career.
I look forward to his advice and friendship.
Clyde has very good fundamentals which he describes in his book. A very good read for any shooter.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a copy of Clyde's "Trapshooting Techniques" book and find it very informative. He gave me some shooting advice a number of years ago, and I still apply that advice today. I shoot with Clyde in a couple of leagues and just talked to him yesterday, 1-12-14. He told me that since the postings on Trapshooters.com have started, sales of his book have increased considerably. It couldn't happen to a nicer person. I am proud to call him a friend and fellow shooter. Dick

·
Registered
15 Posts
I started shooting trap a few years ago, at 29 yrs old. I met Clyde my first summer of trap shooting at club near his home here in SW PA. I currently shoot with him in our winter league .Clyde has given me plenty of great advice on my shooting. He's a heck of a guy and would be happy to give advice to anybody. His book gives great advice and tips. Clyde is a great guy that I'm happy I got to know and get to shoot with.
Scott K

1 - 10 of 10 Posts