Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TIME TO LET GO OF THINGS I DO NOT NEED HAD THIS IN THE SAFE FOR YEARS JUST LIKED IT SO MUCH BUT IT NEEDS TO GO IT IS A OLDER ONE A DASH 1 IN 2 1/2 INCH WHICH IS DESIREABLE FFL NEEDED 795.00 PLUS SHIPPING
66 - 1.jpg
66 - 2.jpg
66 - 3.jpg
66 - 4.jpg
66 - 5.jpg
66 - 6.jpg
66 - 7.jpg
66 - 8.jpg
66 - 9.jpg
66 - 10.jpg

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
One of my carry guns is a Mod. 19 in the same configuration. I can see that it is pinned, but can't tell if the cylinder is recessed.

Steve

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Rebel Sympathy: It was those chamber marks and the line around the cylinder that led me to my question and now it appears, my false conclusion. Mea culpa! Apologies to Old One Eye!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
What does recessed cylinder mean ?

Thanks.
It means the rear of each chamber is counter-bored; thus, the rim portion of the cartridge case will not protrude beyond the rear surface of the cylinder - allowing the cylinder to be longer and much closer to the recoil shield of the revolver frame. S&W quit making guns with recessed cylinders quite a few years ago. (At least most models.) It saved on manufacturing costs. The reason was, they said cartridge cases are strong enough today that it is no longer necessary. Probably true, but S&W enthusiasts sure like the older models with recessed cylinders - myself included. They are neat as heck and bring a premium over the newer non-counter-bored versions of the same revolver.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a Smith model 66-2, not pinned but the cylinder is recessed. This has a 3" bbl, RB, adj sights and came
from Lew Horton Dist. under contract w/ Smith. IMHO Smith did not make a 3" bbl with adj sights before
Lew Horton ordered these. (comments welcome). Also IMHO this was the first handgun issued to Customs
Inspectors in the late 1970s or early 80s.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I have a Smith model 66-2, not pinned but the cylinder is recessed. This has a 3" bbl, RB, adj sights and came
from Lew Horton Dist. under contract w/ Smith. IMHO Smith did not make a 3" bbl with adj sights before
Lew Horton ordered these. (comments welcome). Also IMHO this was the first handgun issued to Customs
Inspectors in the late 1970s or early 80s.
I've also seen them pinned and not recessed. Most likely in transition.

Steve

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I've also seen them pinned and not recessed. Most likely in transition.

Steve
And I've got a 66-4 with 3" barrel, round butt, rubber grips, box, tools, etc. - that is neither pinned nor recessed. The 3" barrel is definitely the rare version in the model 66 lineage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts