Trapshooters Forum banner

Newby observation

5055 Views 53 Replies 39 Participants Last post by  spitter
Watch a lot of different shooters in a lot of different matches yesterday at the Grand. Noticed alot just dropped their empties on the ground and some put them in their bag like I do. Then after match the staff would pick them up .I for one don't want someone to pick up after me, Someday do to circumstances in life that may change and that is totally understandable. But until that time I am not to good to clean up my mess JMO
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
I recently ought a bag to keep from dropping them on the ground. My last registered shoot, there were only 3 of us shooting doubles. The other 2 guys shot so fast that I didnt have time to catch my hulls, drop them in the bag and reload b4 it was my turn again. I just ejected them on the ground and came back after round was over and picked up.

· Premium Member
882 Posts
I use to reload for years and years, so it’s essentially habit for me. My gun is also an extractor, so no choice but to touch the shell and then why not just use a bag / pouch.

Honestly though - I’m always envious of the ejectors and wish I could just let them fly. One less thing to think about.

· What squad am I on?
TriStar TT15
8,770 Posts
Here's something new 🙄
You were at the Grand and that's what you're writing about?!?
Where do you think most hulls we reload come from? The thing that gets me is that we wouldn't throw hundreds of nickels on the ground, if they're worth it, sell em... otherwise, let em fly, to each his own. I've said it before, picking up hulls means shooters. Any club large or small should be glad there's hulls to be picked up.

· Premium Member
4,508 Posts
If you reload catch your hulls and bag them. Most large shoots/club it is posted that any hulls that hit the ground belong to the club, its a revenue source.
It used to be a revenue source but it’s not anymore at any of the clubs I go to. Everything goes in the garbage, the vast majority of the halls now are your Estates, Gun Clubs, Fiochi, Challengers, etc.

· Registered
36,891 Posts
It is a debate talked about many times over. Before the time of trash hulls, clubs welcomed the tossed empties to sell for revenue and or provide empties for youth members. People bought target boxes of hulls at the Grand for a couple bucks. Many clubs and public facilities now ask you pick up your hulls. The way I look at it, I don’t trash other peoples homes when I visit, I don’t toss trash from car, while walking down the street or visiting a National Park, but that is me. Hulls should not be scrounged during an event, because it can cause delay.

· Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now to hijack my own thread .If I read it correctly and remember it correctly at the ATA museum, John Phillips Sousa was the founder of ATA and first president .I did not know that and his marching music has always stirred me.

· Registered
36,891 Posts
Now to hijack my own thread .If I read it correctly and remember it correctly at the ATA museum, John Phillips Sousa was the founder of ATA and first president .I did not know that and his marching music has always stirred me.
One of the icon trap guns, the Ithaca 4E SBT named a grade after him, the Sousa grade.

Reactions: Storeman

· Registered
7,249 Posts
The shooting experience is to crack open your gun and let them fly while you begin preparation for your next shot. If the rules permitted, I would stay after the round and pick them up. But alas, that is prohibited at The Grand, and just about all competitions. It has nothing to do with being good about cleaning up your mess. The shoot doesn't want people dawdling and picking up hulls after the round is over, it makes the shoot run longer. I suppose you feel semi-auto shooters are also inconsiderate for not modifying their gun so it jams after every shot?

· Premium Member
3,671 Posts
I recently ought a bag to keep from dropping them on the ground. My last registered shoot, there were only 3 of us shooting doubles. The other 2 guys shot so fast that I didnt have time to catch my hulls, drop them in the bag and reload b4 it was my turn again. I just ejected them on the ground and came back after round was over and picked up.
Exactly why I DON'T shoot doubles. Not fun to load, shoot, reload, shoot...as fast as humanly possible. Just not for me, but some like it...and that's okay.

Dumping empties on the ground is just plain sloppy.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.