Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new to reloading and with supplies being difficult to find right now I had to make due with what was available. I’m trying to load 12 gauge shells for bunker trap so I bought Eagle #7.5 shot and I’m loading 7/8 oz loads. I’m using Winchester AA once fired hulls and Cheddite 209 primers. I’m using Clay buster CB4100-12B wads for 7/8-1 oz and Alliant Green Dot powder (couldn’t find a faster burning powder). I want to get these to 1325-1350 FPS and based on all that Alliant told me to lid 21grains of powder. This was their recommendation based on a similar wad from a different company because they had no recipes with my wad. I’m a little skeptical about hitting those velocities with Green Dot so I want to chronograph them to verify velocity before I start to load them in large quantities but I can’t seem to find anyone know who has a working shotgun chronograph. I may just have to break down and buy one. Anyway, can anyone please help with my recipe? I’m open to any comments, recommendations or feedback you might have. Thanks a lot.

· Registered
Perazzi MX3 combo, Browning 725 combo.
85 Posts
I am new to reloading and with supplies being difficult to find right now I had to make due with what was available. I’m trying to lid 12 gauge shells for bunker trap so I bought Eagle #7.5 shot and I’m loading 7/8 oz loads. I’m using Winchester AA once fired hulls and Cheddite 209 primers. I’m using Clay surer CB4100-12B wads for 7/8-1 oz and Alliant Green Dot powder (couldn’t find a faster burning powder). I want to get these to 1325-1350 FPS and based on all that Alliant told me to lid 21grains of powder. This was their recommendation based on a similar wad from a different company because they had no recipes with my wad. I’m a little skeptical about hitting those velocities with Green Dot so I want to chronograph them to verify velocity before I start to load them in large quantities but I can’t seem to find anyone know who has a working shotgun chronograph. I may just have to break down and buy one. Anyway, can anyone please help with my recipe? I’m open to any comments, recommendations or feedback you might have. Thanks a lot.
Green Dot is one of my favorite powders, especially for my Handicap loads.
It will work fine for the load your intending on making.
I would use your cheddite primers with Alliants load recipes below.
I load a similar low recoil 7/8 oz. load for my wife.
Several times I've used Cheddite primers in the place of Win 209's especially lately with the primer extinction. They work great and we notice no differences.
I have also verified that Cheddite primers are considered swappable with Win 209.
There's an article in the March 2015 NSSA magazine that states the same thing.

I'm not familiar with your CB4100 wads
I use the gray CB WAA12L 7/8 oz. That are listed on the Alliant load recipes below, the WAA12L 's are not to hard to find right now.
I bought some at our local Scheels for 9.99 a bag on the shelf two weeks ago.

Its showing green dot powder close to the load you are desiring.
All of these loads shown are under 9,000 psi
So even if the Cheddite was a "hotter" primer which I understand that it is not, you still have plenty of headroom before you approach the SAAMI max of 11,500 psi
Good Luck, and turn on your Dam spill checker LMAO!

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Green Dot is one of my favorite powders, especially for my Handicap loads.
It will work fine for the load your intending on making.
I would use your cheddite primers with Alliants load recipes below.
I load a similar low recoil 7/8 oz. load for my wife.
Several times I've used Cheddite primers in the place of Win 209's especially lately with the primer extinction. They work great and we notice no differences.
I have also verified that Cheddite primers are considered swappable with Win 209.
There's an article in the March 2015 NSSA magazine that states the same thing.

I'm not familiar with your CB4100 wads
I use the gray CB WAA12L 7/8 oz. That are listed on the Alliant load recipes below, the WAA12L 's are not to hard to find right now.
I bought some at our local Scheels for 9.99 a bag on the shelf two weeks ago.

Its showing green dot powder close to the load you are desiring.
All of these loads shown are under 9,000 psi
So even if the Cheddite was a "hotter" primer which I understand that it is not, you still have plenty of headroom before you approach the SAAMI max of 11,500 psi
View attachment 1742510
Thanks Nomads. You have been very helpful.

· Premium Member
8,105 Posts
Thanks Nomads. You have been very helpful.
Nomads has no idea what he's talking about. You should pay no attention to what he says. Omitted from his post is the pressure column from the cart, an essential segment of information. He does say "All of these loads shown are under 9,000 psi," which is key. Lower pressure loads will be inconsistent and dirty. Green Dot is a very poor choice for 7/8 oz. loads in 12 ga. Will it work; yes. If you want it to go that fast with 7/8 oz., a faster burning powder is indicated.

That part about "I have also verified that Cheddite primers are considered swappable with Win 209" is complete BS. Where is mg1polo when we need him...

· Registered
6,256 Posts
Not to mention once you use Cheddite primers in WIn. AA hulls, you must use Cheddite primers in those hulls going forward. They are larger than the WIn. and Remington primers, and when swaged into those hulls, with widen the primer pocket to the point that Win. and Remington primers will come out upon firing, (and sometimes before firing) unless they are shimmed.

:ROFLMAO:

· Registered
2,394 Posts
Green Dot really isn't a good powder for light 12 gauge loads. Great for the 1 1/8 oz. loads though. Red Dot, Extra Lite, or E3 would be great. Keep your eye out for those. Another problem you could run into would be stack height. You need to use a lot of Green Dot compared to the others to make your load work.

· Registered
461 Posts
I am new to reloading and with supplies being difficult to find right now I had to make due with what was available. I’m trying to lid 12 gauge shells for bunker trap so I bought Eagle #7.5 shot and I’m loading 7/8 oz loads. I’m using Winchester AA once fired hulls and Cheddite 209 primers. I’m using Clay surer CB4100-12B wads for 7/8-1 oz and Alliant Green Dot powder (couldn’t find a faster burning powder). I want to get these to 1325-1350 FPS and based on all that Alliant told me to lid 21grains of powder. This was their recommendation based on a similar wad from a different company because they had no recipes with my wad. I’m a little skeptical about hitting those velocities with Green Dot so I want to chronograph them to verify velocity before I start to load them in large quantities but I can’t seem to find anyone know who has a working shotgun chronograph. I may just have to break down and buy one. Anyway, can anyone please help with my recipe? I’m open to any comments, recommendations or feedback you might have. Thanks a lot.

· Registered
461 Posts
Technically speaking that is a pile of dirt. It was only a load of dirt when it was in the truck.
My apologies to all for my autocorrect mistakes in my original post.
Thank god. I was beginning to think you shouldn't be messing with explosives. You have passed the test. Proceed.

· Registered
Perazzi MX3 combo, Browning 725 combo.
85 Posts
Nomads has no idea what he's talking about. You should pay no attention to what he says. Omitted from his post is the pressure column from the cart, an essential segment of information. He does say "All of these loads shown are under 9,000 psi," which is key. Lower pressure loads will be inconsistent and dirty. Green Dot is a very poor choice for 7/8 oz. loads in 12 ga. Will it work; yes. If you want it to go that fast with 7/8 oz., a faster burning powder is indicated.

That part about "I have also verified that Cheddite primers are considered swappable with Win 209" is complete BS. Where is mg1polo when we need him...
Well here it is Captain Obvious! The Pressure chart that wouldn't fit on my phone screen.
The original OP stated that he only has green dot. I said it was my favorite "Handicap" Load.
I also said that it will work fine for his desired load. I never said it was the best choice! The Op knows it, he stated he was looking for a faster burning powder but hasn't had any luck.
Green dot is a published load on Alliants web site and who cares if its a little dirty and leaves a few burnt flakes in your barrel. The next shot cleans it out..
Cheddite primers are slightly "cooler" & get used for Win 209's all the time, especially when the load recipe we are talking about has over 2,000 psi in head room.
I normally never suggest a load that isn't in a reloading hand book or from a powder manufacturer web site , but in this case he is fine.
You know it & I know it.
And bye the way you're the one who doesn't know what he's talking about.
Other Primers dont just fall out after Cheddites have been used!
Maybe cheap steel based economy shells they fall out of, IDK.
They work Great in every AA, STS or Nitro that I have loaded.
I just prefer Win 209's over the French made Cheddites.
Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern Number

· Banned
9,591 Posts
Well here it is Captain Obvious! The Pressure chart that wouldn't fit on my phone screen.
The original OP stated that he only has green dot. I said it was my favorite "Handicap" Load.
I also said that it will work fine for his desired load. I never said it was the best choice! The Op knows it, he stated he was looking for a faster burning powder but hasn't had any luck.
Green dot is a published load on Alliants web site and who cares if its a little dirty and leaves a few burnt flakes in your barrel. The next shot cleans it out..
Cheddite primers are slightly "cooler" & get used for Win 209's all the time, especially when the load recipe we are talking about has over 2,000 psi in head room.
I normally never suggest a load that isn't in a reloading hand book or from a powder manufacturer web site , but in this case he is fine.
You know it & I know it.
And bye the way you're the one who doesn't know what he's talking about.
Other Primers dont just fall out after Cheddites have been used!
Maybe cheap steel based economy shells they fall out of, IDK.
They work Great in every AA, STS or Nitro that I have loaded.
I just prefer Win 209's over the French made Cheddites.
View attachment 1742770
THOSE PRESSURES ARE PATHETIC!
Far to low for any consistency.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.