Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...my first post. I'm likely not the first to ask this so sorry for redundancy. I have a high school son who would like to start shooting trap. Our small high school has a quality shooting team that shoots trap...singles only. The majority of the team shoots BT-99's...I currently own no trap guns just field guns and then rifles and pistols. I have no experience yet so we are just begining what looks to be an exciting journey.

I am wondering if I should just jump in with a BT-99 and learn as we go etc...or should I consider an O/U just for the flexibility of eventually shooting something other than trap singles only. I am not strapped to buy the least expensivie gun, but I also hate to just spend money when I don't really know what I'm doing yet.

If I were to buy a Bt-99, is it worth buying used...new ones seem to be reasonably priced as well? Also, should I just buy a conventional stock and then use a fitter to add adjustable comb if needed...or go ahead and buy the adjustable comb version up front? Or for that matter look for a Plus model or an older Max model...etc.

Thanks for any advice and shared experiences....

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Trap gun is best for shooting trap. Gun fit is critical. Aftermarket comb hardware is better than Browning hardware. BT-99s are good guns. Browning O/U trap guns are also good choices.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Browning have good re-sale value, an investment in your son is priceless. Oregonner is correct on gun fit, find a good coach who knows how to make the gun fit the shooter. Up front an adjustable comb is great as long as once it is set correctly you leave it alone! Length of pull will change as your son grows.

·
Administrator
8,663 Posts
Oregunner is giving you good advice. There are many trap guns out there both new and used,ultimately take the time to look at as many as you can to find what ultimately fits your son and your budjet.There are many trap shooter out there who would not have a problem with letting your son shoot one of thiers or shoot something that they have for sale.The BT-99 is a great value for the money and easy to maintain ect. along with being a great single bl. trap gun I like the idea of one Point of Impact as opposed to getting a over under right away and then from that point having to work with putting both bls. on a pattern board ect. If you are shooting just singles and handicap the single bl. is a great way to go.If planning on shooting doubles is in the future there are the options of buying a Beretta 682 series shotgun as a single bl. and adding a O/U set later or finding a Beretta combo out there used for a fair price and then you have the doubles part taken care of. Having a adjustable comb and if at all possible a tail-pc. that is a adjustable length of pull such as a gracoil or RAD would be a real asset as your son grows. Having adjustability on the shotgun is important,keep things simple and consistent with shells and get quality eye and ear protection and your son will be set up to concentrate on enjoying and growing as a trapshooter. Shoot well George

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Yes we have a good coach and we have a highly respected fitter that is relatively close by...less than an hour. If I go with the BT-99 would you recommend getting an older well cared for gun or a new one...question is relative to quality more than price...

Oregunner, sounds like you would recommend getting a conventional stock and modify with aftermarket comb...which aftermarket comb is well thought of?

Are there any other Trap guns you think I should consider in this entry range?

Thx.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oregunner is giving you good advice. There are many trap guns out there both new and used,ultimately take the time to look at as many as you can to find what ultimately fits your son and your budjet.There are many trap shooter out there who would not have a problem with letting your son shoot one of thiers or shoot something that they have for sale.The BT-99 is a great value for the money and easy to maintain ect. along with being a great single bl. trap gun I like the idea of one Point of Impact as opposed to getting a over under right away and then from that point having to work with putting both bls. on a pattern board ect. If you are shooting just singles and handicap the single bl. is a great way to go.If planning on shooting doubles is in the future there are the options of buying a Beretta 682 series shotgun as a single bl. and adding a O/U set later or finding a Beretta combo out there used for a fair price and then you have the doubles part taken care of. Having a adjustable comb and if at all possible a tail-pc. that is a adjustable length of pull such as a gracoil or RAD would be a real asset as your son grows. Having adjustability on the shotgun is important,keep things simple and consistent with shells and get quality eye and ear protection and your son will be set up to concentrate on enjoying and growing as a trapshooter. Shoot well George
Thanks George....I agree with that and think I should focus on starting with a single bl gun to start as well. I beleive with a good condition one we could use it for a long time regardless if we buy something else down the road as we learn more.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Aubie, congrats on being involved with your son. This is such a great sport filled with many wonderful people.
Oregunner gave great advise on gun fit. Brownings are great guns. You can get into a BT-99 new or used or I would suggest even looking at an over under or even a combo set if your son would like to experience the other disciplines.

Not too sure where home is for you but if you ever get through the Rapid City area we would be glad to work with your son. We also work with parents on how to help their youth shooters. Please PM us with any questions.

The Bartholows

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Grace makes quality adjustable comb hardware, that a gunsmith could use to install an adjustable comb, and they also make replacement hardware for a number of factory adjustable combs.

Gun choice depends on budget.
Remington 870 Trap
Remington 1100 Trap or Synthetic Competition
Beretta 3xx Trap
Browning BT-99
Browning Citori Trap
Beretta 6xx O/U Trap
B gun Trap Combos
There are other brands that are not as popular, but are quality guns.
There are also other choices, P & K guns, as the budget increases.

·
Administrator
8,663 Posts
Aubie, I understand everyone operates on a different budjet but if it is within reach take a look at the BT offerings by Gun Unlimited.They do a BT that is complete with a adjustable comb(which uses Gracoil Hardware which is very good and easy to work with) and a Recoil Reduction device by Gracoil that is also adjustable length of pull so would be a great gun fit asset for your son.If you are close to where you could meet with the SD Trap Trap family they would get you dialed in extremely well.There is one thing that I learned from owning/shooting and competing with pretty much every major and a lot of the minor brands of trap shotguns out there is to really get something that is adjustable and quality from the start as opposed to having a continuous work in progress and your son is constantly having to adjust to both physically and mentally(yes changes in gun set up--ammunition ect. does effect your mind set) Again looking at budjet there are many choices out there but I would not compromise on having the adjustable comb and if at all possible a adjustable tail-pc.

·
Administrator
8,663 Posts
I understand that Im off topic here a bit and you might already have these items but I end up working with some many new shooters/people getting into the clay target sports that I mention this out of habit. In reference to your equipment have a system/method to your trapshooting set-up. What I mean by this is have a shooting bag to carry your gear and make sure it is organized and ready to go including basic tools to make adjustments to what you are shooting for a trap gun.Have good eye protection/clay target shooting glasses that are able to ride high on your nose so as you get your face on the comb your are looking thru the lens and not having the frame of the shooting glasses obstruct your view and if possible interchangeable lenses for different backgrounds and take care of them,your glasses are what you are viewing the targets thru. Get some good hearing protection and a good vest or belt pouch, these items will help you have a equipment foundation that will be consistent and allow you to concentrate on your shooting as opposed to messing with equipment.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the inputs. Much appreciated. We are in N. Alabama. We have plans to get some training as well as the team starts shooting registered rounds in the next couple of weeks...so he will get instruction from his coach as well.

Hate to rush getting a gun, but would also like to get him going with a trap gun sooner than later since the season is starting. I will do some more homework with the suggestions made in this thread. I have mostly read about the BT-99 so far.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I understand that Im off topic here a bit and you might already have these items but I end up working with some many new shooters/people getting into the clay target sports that I mention this out of habit. In reference to your equipment have a system/method to your trapshooting set-up. What I mean by this is have a shooting bag to carry your gear and make sure it is organized and ready to go including basic tools to make adjustments to what you are shooting for a trap gun.Have good eye protection/clay target shooting glasses that are able to ride high on your nose so as you get your face on the comb your are looking thru the lens and not having the frame of the shooting glasses obstruct your view and if possible interchangeable lenses for different backgrounds and take care of them,your glasses are what you are viewing the targets thru. Get some good hearing protection and a good vest or belt pouch, these items will help you have a equipment foundation that will be consistent and allow you to concentrate on your shooting as opposed to messing with equipment.
Thanks George....will follow that advice.

·
Registered
80 Posts
We started my daughter off with a BT99 at the beginning of last season (March). That gun was an excellent starting point and she still loves shooting it for trap singles. Half way through the season she did take an interest in sporting clays and sket so we ended up buying an OU. That journey hasn't been as easy as the BT and we're most likely in for a trade on that one. The nice thing about buying quality guns (especially if you buy good used) is that you won't lose much money if you sell or trade for something else as he changes (both physically and in what games he shots).
Either way, buy something of good quality that fits him well and he'll have a great start to lifelong enjoyment.

·
Registered
11,141 Posts
First off Hello and Welcome to TS.com!!!!!
The BT-99 is a very good starter gun for a new Trap shooter!!! To get a better made BT-99 than current production, you have to back about 30 years to get the good hand made quality guns. Its a toss up as well. These older guns have fixed chokes w/the old standard size barrels w/ hard forcing cones. The newer guns all have removeable chokes, overbored barrels w/ reduced forcing cones and ported barrels to reduce muzzle jump. All good things!!! Plus these older guns are getting pretty hard to find these days, but are out there if you look real hard, but do you want the old standard sized barrels???

My next question is does your son ever want to shoot any other clay target games??? The BT-99 locks him into shooting only single shot Trap shooting. The new Remington 1100 competition syn. gun is a great gun with like $500 dollars worth of adj. comb's and butt plates, priced at a $1,000 brand new (newer overbored barrels as well) in the box today. Both the same adj.'s on a BT-99 will cost you like $1,700 brand new today. And you have a one game gun!!! Something to think about??? A decent used O/U will cost about $1,700 for a browning (more for others), then you have to add in, the adj. comb and the adj. butt plate to that price if need be. The FNH SC1 is also a nice O/U shotgun for the money. --DO-- have your son shoot as many different guns as he can!!!! ---- --BEFORE-- You go and buy him anything. Try to take your time and have your son shoot some Brownings and some Beretta's and see what brand of guns fit him the best. I see lots of auto's and O/U's out there being shot for trap singles. Something to think about. Best of Luck and break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
554 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Yes we have a good coach and we have a highly respected fitter that is relatively close by...less than an hour. If I go with the BT-99 would you recommend getting an older well cared for gun or a new one...question is relative to quality more than price...

Oregunner, sounds like you would recommend getting a conventional stock and modify with aftermarket comb...which aftermarket comb is well thought of?

Are there any other Trap guns you think I should consider in this entry range?

Thx.
I'd recommend if you decide on getting a bt-99, make sure it has screw in chokes, don't just settle for a fixed full because they're a bit cheaper.. It's good to have options.
This past week I purchased a 34" bt-99 white satin grade 1 w/ adjustable comb that was in good shape other than the mid-bead being broken without my knowledge. It came with a full, imp. Mod, mod. Extended chokes & a flush invector plus mod. Choke as well.
Tomorrow will be the first time shooting it as I'm getting anxious. Can't wait!

-ithaca

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The BT-99 is a very good starter gun for a new Trap shooter!!! To get a better made BT-99 than current production, you have to back about 30 years to get the good hand made quality guns. Its a toss up as well. These older guns have fixed chokes w/the old standard size barrels w/ hard forcing cones. The newer guns all have removeable chokes, overbored barrels w/ reduced forcing cones and ported barrels to reduce muzzle jump. All good things!!! Plus these older guns are getting pretty hard to find these days, but are out there if you look real hard, but do you want the old standard sized barrels???

My next question is does your son ever want to shoot any other clay target games??? The BT-99 locks him into shooting only single shot Trap shooting. The new Remington 1100 competition syn. gun is a great gun with like $500 dollars worth of adj. comb's and butt plates, priced at a $1,000 brand new (newer overbored barrels as well) in the box today. Both the same adj.'s on a BT-99 will cost you like $1,700 brand new today. Any you have a one game gun!!! Something to think about??? A decent used O/U will cost about $1,700 for a browning (more for others), then you have to add in, the adj. comb and the adj. butt plate to that price if need be. The FNH SC1 is also a nice O/U shotgun for the money. --DO-- have your son shoot as many different guns as he can!!!! ---- --BEFORE-- You go and buy him anything. Try to take your time and have your son shoot some Brownings and some Beretta's and see what brand of guns fit him the best. I see lots of auto's and O/U's out there being shot for trap singles. Something to think about. Best of Luck and break em all. Jeff
Hi Jeff, thanks. You bring up good points. Some of the very things that made me ask. Our high school team shoots trap singles. They primarily shoot Bt-99...the coach is recommending a BT-99 as well. But I have the same thoughts as you raise here. We will likely want to expand and try other games as well over time. What I am thinking now is to go ahead and get the BT-99 now and get immersed in the sport and once we learn more and get a feel for what we are doing we will be able to make a more informed decision next time we purchase. It's not like it is a bad thing to have a BT-99 :) Worst case we sell it later for not much less likely than we will have in it...or we love it and add an additional gun for other aspects of clay sports and have two good guns :) I really like the idea of adding a combo later...something like the XT or 725 combo...

What do you think?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd recommend if you decide on getting a bt-99, make sure it has screw in chokes, don't just settle for a fixed full because they're a bit cheaper.. It's good to have options.
This past week I purchased a 34" bt-99 white satin grade 1 w/ adjustable comb that was in good shape other than the mid-bead being broken without my knowledge. It came with a full, imp. Mod, mod. Extended chokes & a flush invector plus mod. Choke as well.
Tomorrow will be the first time shooting it as I'm getting anxious. Can't wait!

-ithaca
I totally agree. I think I may go ahead and purchase new with aftermarket adjustable comb and tail pc. Definitedly want to be able to have multiple options for chokes as well...congrats on your new gun! A new gun is exciting every time!!

·
Administrator
8,663 Posts
You would be surprised by how many shooters have a gun for singles and caps and a separate differently set up shotgun for doubles.I have shot both combinations from a combo to various Single bl. trap guns and O/Us for doubles. There are advantages to both types of set ups.Having a combo allows for the same trigger feel/stock feel ect. where having a separate shotgun for the single targets and doubles allows you for expanded options in fine tuning your set up for the separate events.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Grace makes quality adjustable comb hardware, that a gunsmith could use to install an adjustable comb, and they also make replacement hardware for a number of factory adjustable combs.

Gun choice depends on budget.
Remington 870 Trap
Remington 1100 Trap or Synthetic Competition
Beretta 3xx Trap
Browning BT-99
Browning Citori Trap
Beretta 6xx O/U Trap
B gun Trap Combos
There are other brands that are not as popular, but are quality guns.
There are also other choices, P & K guns, as the budget increases.
Based on this comment, lets say I would like to stay under $2000 for this purchase...where do you guys think I should focus. I am going to search out getting a chance for him to shoot a few guns first, but I have no idea what or which ones we will get to shoot. We have a shoot with the team next Sunday the 13th afternoon, but I believe they will all have the BT's. He will get to see and try one of those for sure.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

My next question is does your son ever want to shoot any other clay target games??? The BT-99 locks him into shooting only single shot Trap shooting. The new Remington 1100 competition syn. gun is a great gun with like $500 dollars worth of adj. comb's and butt plates, priced at a $1,000 brand new (newer overbored barrels as well) in the box today. Both the same adj.'s on a BT-99 will cost you like $1,700 brand new today. Any you have a one game gun!!! Something to think about??? A decent used O/U will cost about $1,700 for a browning (more for others), then you have to add in, the adj. comb and the adj. butt plate to that price if need be. The FNH SC1 is also a nice O/U shotgun for the money. --DO-- have your son shoot as many different guns as he can!!!! ---- --BEFORE-- You go and buy him anything. Try to take your time and have your son shoot some Brownings and some Beretta's and see what brand of guns fit him the best. I see lots of auto's and O/U's out there being shot for trap singles. Something to think about. Best of Luck and break em all. Jeff
Hi Jeff, how do you think the 1100 Syn Comp would compare to the BT just for Trap Singles? I know he will get to try the BT before we make a purchase, but I am not sure if we could sample the 1100 comp beforehand.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts