Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have recently been introduced to the crack that is Trap Shooting. So much fun! I am hoping you all can help me with a few questions. I am right handed, and I know from prior shooting experience that I am strongly left eye dominant. And I wear progressive bifocals. How do I overcome all that to shoot well? I tried wearing my contacts this past weekend when I went and quickly learned that that was NOT the solution. :-(

Also, up until now I have been using trap guns that belong to my friend, her husband, father, son, daughter, etc (they all shoot). It's been nice because it had given me the chance to try break action, pump, semi auto, 12 gauge vs 20, etc. Now I am thinking of purchasing my own. I think I prefer 12 gauge, but don't think I have a strong preference for one style over another. Also, I have heard a lot about the shotgun firing correctly. I suspect none of these do, because I'm pretty petite, and they are all much bigger people. I'm used to handguns that only have to fit my hand.

So, where do I start? What do I look for? How do I know if it fits? I won't make a final decision without input from my friend and/or her dad, but I'd like to narrow down the choices.

Whew! I think that's enough questions for now!

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Ok, I'm guessing your a petite female.
Glasses, for shooting, dump the progressives. You will want glasses corrected for distance (infinity) with a small bifocal segment at the bottom of the lense. Look at the Decot web page. Randolph Rangers are also excellent.
Guns, depends on your budget. Generally for $1000 or less, your looking at Remington 1100 trap guns, Beretta 390-391 trap guns and Browning BT99-100's single barrel trap guns. Choose a 12 gauge as you can shoot low recoil 7/8 and 1 oz loads.

Find yourself a good stock fitter who can adjust your gun to fit you.

and finally, find a good coach who won't let family interfere....

Jim C

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a Browning Bt-99 32" adjustable comb and pad 3 choke tubes in an Americase for 1000.00 if interested

·
Registered
531 Posts
Remington 1100 cannot be beat for a 1st gun....Bullet proof...everybody works on them and parts are everywhere. I second that you will need to have the stock fitted by a professional.
Welcome to the sport....your screwed....its very addicting!!!

Smoke em all
Reap

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why are you directing me towards a semi auto? I was leaning towards a o&u, because of the simplicity. Not being critical, just looking for guidance.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Semi has the least amount of recoil...and the Rem 1100 will have the best pricing for it! Like I said they have been around forever and nothing ever goes wrong with them. I have an O/U and I love it. It is ultimately your choice and you have to be happy with it. Whatever gun you do choose...Fit will be the most important aspect!

Smoke em!
Reap

·
Registered
856 Posts
A gal at our club started shooting a Micro BT 99. I believe it was called a Micro, anyway, after a little experience, she is now consistently shooting some very good scores. Hope you find a gun that fits you. The 11-87 /1100 trap guns are also very good for the beginner or the seasoned vet. Keep us posted on what you find.

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
The ideal beginners gun-especially for a lady or child. Browning BT-99 with PFS recoil reducing stock. May cost a little more at first but it'll be a long time if ever you'll want to trade up. The rest are wannabees-especially autoloaders which need a dedicated cleaning by you or a significant other!!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
rf519. Welcome to a wonderful me addiction. The first thing your gonna find out is everyone is gonna have there own opinion! The biggest thing I would tell you is that you should definitely shoot the different styles of guns and find out which one you are most comfortable with. By the way what area of pa are you in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been shooting different styles of shotguns, and learned yesterday that I am only about 1/4 of my way through their collection, so I have more to try. :-D They probably have me covered through the rest of the summer then, hopefully, I will have had enough experience to at least know what I want.

I live in NW PA, not far from Erie.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Well, get back to us when you get the custom stocked Perazzi/Krieghoff/DeVault/Kolar/Seitz.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts