Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,491 Posts
Three Quarter Style Target
three-quarter-style-target
From left to right – all orange, orange dome and “Three Quarter” Style
Now available from all of the White Flyer Target Plants across the U.S. is the “Three Quarter” Style Target, which is also called the “NY Style Target” or “DOP Target”. The same target structurally and design wise as the “White Flyer AA”, the “Three Quarter” Style Target differs from the all orange top or orange domed targets in its paint scheme only.
For years the debate has continued over whether gun clubs should use all orange or orange domed targets. Equally divided are shooters that favor one over the other. Based on the types of backgrounds that are dark or where tree lines are prevalent, many clubs prefer the all orange! Some facilities with unobstructed backgrounds favor the orange domed version. Many factors such as clouds in the background affect the visibility of either – hence, many feel that the “Three Quarter” Style Target serves as a great compromise target. It shows contrast with a black edge in cloudy conditions and still provides a lot of orange on the top of the target to be seen.
For more information on White Flyer’s “Three Quarter” Style Target please contact your nearest distributor.

· Registered
605 Posts
My absolute favorite
I have never shot them but they look great. Like to try them. I always liked the black rimmed targets. An all orange or green target is just a blur coming out of the house. The black rim seems to give the target better definition. This seems like a good compromise. More orange but good definition.

· Premium Member
12,772 Posts
I have shot them from time to time at the Wyandotte County range in Kansas City, KS.

I haven't decided if I like them, but judging by my scores there...I don't.

· Registered
220 Posts
Some people complain that all orange targets tend to streak or have a tail, my experience is the black rim helps with the streaking, they are also better when you go from a dark background such as trees to a sky background, because all orange tend to get very hard to see in the sky, the black rim is not very visible, but I still think it helps with the definition, compared to an all orange. Ray Charles said he couldn't tell any difference.

· Registered
6,201 Posts
You can make your own New Yorks by painting stacks of all-orange targets with flat black paint - only the sides of the rims will be painted - just like a New York - except for the top one but you just move that one to the other stacks. Then have a weekly money game under the lights with that now all-black target

Back in 2001, the PSSA was considering switching to New York targets from all-orange and held a test day for all Pennsylvania gun club delegates to the PSSA. They had a trap loaded with alternating stacks of all-orange and New York targets and required all of us to shoot at least 25 targets on that trap. Seeing them in alternating fashion like that, the difference was remarkable! At the following meeting, the vote to change was nearly unanimous - it might even have been unanimous.

Here is indisputable proof that the New York offers a better visual presentation. In 2000 under bright skies with a gentle breeze, 15 of the 1,536 shooters in the 200-target Singles Championship recorded 200s on all-orange targets. In 2001, under dark skies, off and on rain and a gusting wind, 26 of the 1,529 shooters registered 200s on New York targets. For obvious reasons, the PSSA has seen no reason to change back.

Ed

· Registered
3,901 Posts
They used them at the Grand several years ago. Didn't like them then, and don't want to shoot them now. If they were going to be at the Grand, I wouldn't go.

Reactions: Doc!

· Registered
2,615 Posts
Sorry FLIP - the NY Style, or Black Rim or what is called 3/4 Style above have a painted black rim. They start life painted all orange and then the rim is painted black It is the orange dome targets (what the ATA has been shooting at the Grand) that have zero black paint. The black seen on the Orange Dome targets is the natural color of the pitch.

Reactions: vatrap

· Registered
2,615 Posts
Gary I call BS !! I’m looking at one now from 125th PA state shoot no paint on rim, why would they paint it twice ? I will bet you a beer behind bank 9
Good one - we always have beer (after shooting) behind bank 9 !!

· Registered
2,762 Posts
Many of those ads are programed way ahead of circumstances due to prep time for the ads, and allotment of inventory. Inventories change, especially right now. Shells are especially scarce right now. Fleet Farm is a great store and has everything you would ever need with competitive pricing, along with sale pricing. If you look at it this way, you pretty much may as well sit at home in the recliner for the next six months. All store shelves are missing inventory due to the pandemic interruptions.

· Registered
2,762 Posts
Sorry wrong thread last post.

I do like the 3/4 style, and wish they made them in green.

· Registered
968 Posts
I like all orange targets, but I am happy on any given day to shoot what is presented as long as its the same for all the layouts. Over the years I have shot all the colours and when I started shooting they were always black.
Devonian.

· Premium Member
6,124 Posts
To each there own - everyone's eyes are a little different.
I prefer the Orange Dome (as has been thrown at the Grand). The extra black gives me a more definitive line and makes the target a little clearer to me - even in low light. In bright sunlight, all orange targets, and even the New York targets, appear as a fuzzy ball to me. If I own the trap or if I control the shoot -- it is WF Orange Dome. requires very subdued light for the all orange not to appear like a fuzz ball.
Your mileage may vary..............

· Registered
2,414 Posts
So think of this. We have a difficult back ground so we switched to black ring but not just because of that, we where coaching kids and that black ring target looks smaller to the eye.
So when the kids shoot on a range that had a decent background and all orange targets those birds look like trashcan lids to them and they won tournament after tournament.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.