Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all new to the group and reloading shotshell. I have Hodgdon Universal Clays powder, Winchester w209 primers, federal gold medal hulls, and Remington rxp 12 wads. I cannot seem to find a recipe using those exact components. I have the Lyman 5th edition book. I also tried hodgdon website. Closest I can find doesn't list my Rem rxp12 wads. Next question. Is The Lyman book I have lists universal powder, is that referring to the hodgdon universal clays technology powder that I have? Sorry for the noob questions and thanks for your help.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I take it your halls are plastic, and 1&1/8oz shot.

best thing to do would be to Email Hodgdon and ask if that combination can be used. Gary

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
You have wads for tapered hulls, and have straight wall hulls. Not a good combination.

Universal is Universal.

The Remington wads are good for Remington hulls. See if you can sell them, or trade them for more appropriate wads. Wads are cheap, use the right ones.

·
Premium Member
5,416 Posts
Wads may be cheap but hulls are free. You can pick them up off the ground at most any range. You can use that wad with 1 1/8 oz of shot in any of the Rem hulls but in a Win AAHS hull, you probably are limited to 1 oz. Just out of curiosity, what do you plan to shoot your reloads at? The reason I ask is Universal Clays is not ideal for use in light target loads as it's a slower burning powder more suited to heavier field loads in 12 ga. For target loads, faster burning powders, like Clays, Red Dot, Titewad, Promo and 700X, are better. Universal is good for target loads in 20 and 28 ga.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Target loads for sporting clays. The powder was given to me for free as we're the hulls (about 2000 federal gold) and the Remington wads.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Good hulls are about $.05 each.
500 hulls = $25
500 wads = $10
Stick with your GM hulls and get some Federal clone wads.
Federal Style
Stick with 1 1/8 oz loads until you use up your Universal, then consider loading 1 oz, with a different powder and wad. You will save on the cost of lead, and have less recoil.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Target loads for sporting clays. The powder was given to me for free as we're the hulls (about 2000 federal gold) and the Remington wads.
As Oregunner stated above, wads are not very expensive. Claybuster wads are very popular and make just about all of the name brand replacement wads. I would try a bag and see how it goes.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Hello all new to the group and reloading shotshell. I have Hodgdon Universal Clays powder, Winchester w209 primers, federal gold medal hulls, and Remington rxp 12 wads. I cannot seem to find a recipe using those exact components.
USMA36,

Nothing wrong with being a "noob"...we all were at one time.

When you can't find published data for a load, there is a reason for it! Always follow listed "recipes" for loading shotgun shells.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts