Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Will you be covering any SCTP activities as well as other junior shooters? Everyone loves seeing what the future of this sport is coming out to be!
-Trappy

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
You can tell who the trapshooters are and who the rest proclaim to be. Just like this site which has been weaken by the non-trapshooters who don't have their own site so they bring their crap here.

2tall: Do you think Leo is the complate mag.?

Don

·
Registered
297 Posts
Let's face it. Most of the magazine offerings currently available are a joke. Trap & Field is terrible. Clay Shooting USA is probably the stand alone publication in this segment. Very high quality and great articles. Plus it's not 1/16th of an inch thick like many magazines. A lot of content.

Nick Sisley and Tom Ceretto are two of the best writers in the clay target segment. Having Leo as a contributor is fantastic. I think he qualifies as an ATA shooter.

I applaud anyone who is willing to invest in a venture as big as this that centers itself on trap shooting. Our sport.

Thank you Trap Shooting USA. I look forward to a fresh voice in anotherwise stale conversation.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Well, I've stayed out of it so far, but I'm going to come right out and say what most of us suspect. Here is what the business model of this magazine appears to be:

1. Take one already-established "clays magazine" with an existing, paid staff.

2. Re-cycle that existing staff, add one (1) additional columnist with actual trapshooting credentials (Leo)...then call it a whole "new" magazine.

3. Charge a bazillion bucks per issue (but make subscriptions relatively cheap)...then don't give out any free trial copies. If people want to read "Leo," they have no choice but to subscribe.

4. Subscribers provide the bait to get more advertisers, et Voila! You have now created a whole new stream of revenue out of the same resources.

...in short, this looks to me like they're trying to spread their existing sporting magazine's overhead costs across an additional product, and draw some more revenue off it.

I'll be very surprised if within 8 months, they aren't recycling article after article about "Chokes 'n Loads for 16 yards," or "Chokes 'n Loads for 24 yard handicap"...etc. (and, of course, "The Mental Game"...which - surprise, surprise - just happens to be eerily similar to the mental game for Sporting!).

But hey, I could be all wet...so prove me wrong. (But I ain't buying an issue at that price).

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
This new Trapshooting Magazine should offer a no risk subscription offer to all the cutting edge and dare I say, influential, trap shooters on TScom something like this. Posted on our site. "Risk free trial offer, sign up and you won't be billed until you have received the first issue. If you don't want to continue, just write cancel on the bill and send it back to us." My 2 dollars worth. They need us more than we need them. gyrine

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hey Buzzy, sounds like sour grapes to me and you're just jealous that you didn't do it of it first.

I remember you saying that there is a demand for “how to” books and magazines for every recreational pursuit you can think of. If nobody is meeting that need...somebody will “step in” and fill it, if you know what I mean.

Maybe you have some Trap Shooting Secrets that you would like to share with them to help them out?

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
I'm not at all surprised that almost no one here thinks they can learn anything from reading, or that the price of about a box of shells or two is too much to risk to find out. Or that they think someone owes it to them to provide something free.

I plan to take a chance on at least an issue and see if I like it. Its sister magazine has an on-line article search (link above) which I've used a lot and I figure I owe them something for that.

Neil

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Like I said in the last sentence, Rodge...I could be all wet, so feel free to prove me wrong. Till then, I stand by my prediction. Somehow, I think that other publication and its existing writer base will exert a strong "gravitational pull" on the content of this new mag...but hey, we shall see.

If they succeed in pulling off something better, I will be in the cheering section. And I'm sure the others here will be, too.

·
Strong Supporter of Trapshooting
4,727 Posts
I'd like a complimentary issue before I decide to subscribe. I also see it is ublished in Willshire, England, so does that mean it would be more slanted to European shooting?

I believe ShotgunSports magazine may still have this offer right here with their banner ad, up-left. I've not seen it flash by for a while, however.

They DO have a free issue link on their wegsite.

Whiz White

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I,for one, will never subscribe to a bi-monthly magazine of any kind. If you can't publish monthly,don't bother. I've subscribed to many mags published less than 12 times /year and have never got ALL the issues promised.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
jcl,

I remember Shootin' Trap. That was a good magazine! I still have my issues tucked away somewhere. I remember they did a test article on the 870 comp., which was new at the time. They kept costs reasonable by not making it overly "glossy," and the balance was just about right.

And I agree with the above negative comment about bi-monthlies. I subscribed to a magazine called Fingerstyle Guitar. It's fairly glossy & expensive at $8.95 per issue newsstand price, but I believed it to be worth the price, because each issue contained a CD with about 8 songs from big name artists, plus articles from each artist talking about their approach to the song, and the sheet music for each song is included in .PDF form on the included multimedia disk. So in other words, you get some _major_ added value for the $8.95 asking price, beyond just the text and pictures of the magazine. 12 issues were something like $53 (bi-monthly over 2 years).

Well, I never got all the issues that were promised. They would delay shipping the mag because the CD wasn't ready, kept missing production deadlines, etc. I got tired of having to email the publisher and hassle him to get my magazine, and finally got fed up with it. It's a great magazine, if you can get it...but I will not renew my subscription. It's not worth the hassle.

So I'm an example of someone who has subscribed to several niche magazines, and am willing to pay premium prices if the added value justifies it. I'm passionate about my pastimes & will gladly pony up the cash and support a worthy product. But based on the writer list of the proposed magazine above, I strongly suspect there will be much recycling of content from their other sporting publication, and I just can't see the justification for the per-issue price. Maybe if I was a serious sporting shooter also. Or maybe if they had Kiner, Harrison, and Campbell or 3 people of that caliber lined up for every issue.

But 1 page of Q&A with Leo, mixed with recycled sporting stuff for the remainder? Nah. I've seen that movie before, and I know how it turns out.

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Why is an English company doing an American Trap mag. Aren't some of you always preaching "Buy American".

How long are questions for Leo going to last??? T & F has ask the All Americans, much broader spectrum.

Not all great shooters are brainiacs.

Don

·
Registered
148 Posts
I spend more than $5.33 on soda at the club in one day. To spend that for a issue of a magazine that's going to report on MY sport and perhaps give me some little tidbit of information that may come in handy all while reporting on OUR local clubs and possibly increase the business at them doesn't even require a single second thought. And I know they are reporting on the local clubs as they have already been to mine and have taken pics of me and my son.

My subscription has already been paid for and I eagerly await my first subscription.

Bill Yost

·
Registered
102 Posts
Big Don, this is late, but I'm addressing this anyway. Are you addressing this to me? "You can tell who the trapshooters are and who the rest proclaim to be. Just like this site which has been weaken by the non-trapshooters who don't have their own site so they bring their crap here."

2tall: Do you think Leo is the complate mag.?

Don

What kind of stupid question is this? The Literalist didn't ask if Leo is the "whole" magazine. As if someone can be a whole magazine, he asked if ANY of the mentioned contributors trapshooters and I responded Leo Harrison. Leo is a trapshooter isn't he?. And I do shoot trap and am ATA member.

Robert H.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Whiz White wrote "I'd like a complimentary issue before I decide to subscribe."

Not a bad idea you have there, so how about some complimentary Perazzi parts before we buy your new after market parts?

21 - 40 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.