Trapshooters Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Curious... how much time did you spend at Ft. Benning ?
Not too much. First stint was 3 weeks for Airborne school as a cadet. After I commissioned about 9 months for IOBC and Ranger School. The last time was January to June 2003 for the Infantry Captains Career Course. Other than a year in Newport, RI to attend the Naval War College in 2009 - 2010 I was stationed at Fort Bragg.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Very light yellow.

NVD's are not allowed. :sneaky:
Seriously, yellow is best.
Thank you for the recommendations. I’ve been using Oakley yellow lenses but actually shot better with clear glasses. I just compared the Oakleys to an old pair of Wiley X and they were definitely darker. Next time I’ll give the Wiley’s a go and see if that helps.

·
Registered
21,634 Posts
Thank you very much for the generous offer Mrs. Harrison! I’m in Dallas, TX and will definitely take you up on the offer the next time I’m in your part of the world
Call her. She ships the DVD’s to you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
You might go on line to U Tube and watch a Video called "Trap Shooting with D.Lee Braun" . It was made by Remington pros years ago but, gives some good views of basic Trapshooting fundamentals. Again Welcome and good shooting !
I'm sure he's got the subconscious thing down, or he'd have never earned those patches. Once you've developed muscle memory of your mount, starting point, soft focus in the distance, Sugah_B, The instincts developed from a thousand days on the square range, and the two-way range, will kick in. Maybe "Scan your Sector" could be your pre-shot routine mantra. ;)

In the mean time, I offer you this:

It's old, but the fundamentals never change.
Thank you both for the video. It‘s a great intro and review of the fundamentals. Assuming trap shooting is like everything else in life, if you can master the basics the rest will follow

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thank you to everyone for the advice and recommendations. I sincerely appreciate it!

I will definitely get the gun fitted ASAP considering the number of suggestions to do so.

I can honestly say this is the friendliest group of internet people I’ve ever interacted with!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
My youngest daughter lives in Dallas. I’ll be visiting quite often this year since she just had twin boys 2 weeks ago.
Texas is a great state for shooters.
Make plans to attend some of the big shoots especially the Grand American.
The best part of trapshooting is the friendships you will find.
Good shooting

·
Registered
560 Posts
First of all, Welcome and thank you for your service. A lot of good advice here and good luck with your trap shooting journey.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Thank you to everyone for the advice and recommendations. I sincerely appreciate it!

I will definitely get the gun fitted ASAP considering the number of suggestions to do so.

I can honestly say this is the friendliest group of internet people I’ve ever interacted with!
Friendliest group? Well now! Just ask the right questions and you will see the knives come out.

Ponder the deep questions such as "Is Tri Star a good buy?" Or "should I use 7.5s or 8s" or basically anything related to ammunition or reloading components availability".

I'm also totally shocked no one has told you to do a search. That is the usual new poster hazing. Probably scared of you. If you read enough, you will find we don't talk about much that is truly new...but it's still fun. Even this shortage isn't new. It's all happened before and will happen again.

Also, I meant to say thank you for your service earlier but my phone crapped out and it didn't get saved with the post. So I will say it now. Thank you for your service.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Howdy!

I wanted to introduce myself to the board and solicit advice anyone may have for someone new to the sport. Browsing the various threads it is clear there is a ton of knowledge on the board.

I am new to competitive trap but have a lot of shooting experience. I love bird hunting (dove, ducks, quail, pheasant) and I was in the Army for 15 years. For 12 of the 15 years I was privileged to serve in Special Forces (AKA the Green Berets) and attended several shooting schools. So lots of trigger time but outside of bird hunting my experience has been rifle and pistol shooting.

Thinking back to when you were brand new to the sport, what is the one thing you know now that you wish you knew when you first started? E.g. a technique, best practice, equipment, ammo choice, etc.
I took a clinic after a year! I wish I have taken one right out of the box.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Thank you for your US Army service. You come from a great community. Our paths probably crossed at Fort Bragg (Nasty Nick).

Enjoy your trigger time in trapshooting.

Jon Reitz
Command Sergeant Major
US Army (Ret.)

·
Premium Member
5,881 Posts
Howdy!

I wanted to introduce myself to the board and solicit advice anyone may have for someone new to the sport. Browsing the various threads it is clear there is a ton of knowledge on the board.

I am new to competitive trap but have a lot of shooting experience. I love bird hunting (dove, ducks, quail, pheasant) and I was in the Army for 15 years. For 12 of the 15 years I was privileged to serve in Special Forces (AKA the Green Berets) and attended several shooting schools. So lots of trigger time but outside of bird hunting my experience has been rifle and pistol shooting.

Thinking back to when you were brand new to the sport, what is the one thing you know now that you wish you knew when you first started? E.g. a technique, best practice, equipment, ammo choice, etc.
A gun that doesn't hurt your face and shoulder after 3-4 hundred target days is essential.

Finding the correct Point of Impact for your style of shooting (this will change as you evolve).

Your background and training have taught you a considerable amount of fundamentals that you will naturally apply. But acquire the DVD's stated as they will give you information that you can understand and increase the speed at which you mature in the game.

If you've never been, head over to Texas Best restaurant in Wichita Falls. Ask to speak to the owner and tell him I sent you. He is one salty shooter and grew up around and was schooled by two Texas trapshooting legends, Britt Robinson and Larry Gravestock. I think you'd enjoy the visit.

Thank for your service and sacrifices for our country.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you are serious about being competitive, seek out a proven instructor. Take lessons and be able to contact them with questions moving forward. Instructional videos are a great start but in my experience they are not a substitute for in person learning. Be cognizant that the good shooter at your local club may not always be your best source of information or training. Not all good shooters are good instructors.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Thank you for your US Army service. You come from a great community. Our paths probably crossed at Fort Bragg (Nasty Nick).

Enjoy your trigger time in trapshooting.

Jon Reitz
Command Sergeant Major
US Army (Ret.)
I'm fairly certain we have. I was in 1/7 from 2004 - 2007. Commanded 713 and was the battalion Assistant S-3/S-3. Was an 18A SGI from '07-'09. After ILE I changed Groups and joined 3/3. Commanded AOB 3330 from '10 - '12.

MAJ Brian Mosley

·
Premium Member
19,259 Posts
Thanks for your service and welcome to TS.com.

Reactions: Sugah_b

·
Registered
70 Posts
Check your eye dominance. I always had to shoot with an eye closed because I found out I was left eye dominant, right handed. Now I use a Champion ez hit sight on all my shotguns so I only see I bead in my peripheral vision. Shoot with both eyes open!!

41 - 60 of 85 Posts