Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!

I wanted to introduce myself to the board and solicit advice anyone may have for someone new to the sport. Browsing the various threads it is clear there is a ton of knowledge on the board.

I am new to competitive trap but have a lot of shooting experience. I love bird hunting (dove, ducks, quail, pheasant) and I was in the Army for 15 years. For 12 of the 15 years I was privileged to serve in Special Forces (AKA the Green Berets) and attended several shooting schools. So lots of trigger time but outside of bird hunting my experience has been rifle and pistol shooting.

Thinking back to when you were brand new to the sport, what is the one thing you know now that you wish you knew when you first started? E.g. a technique, best practice, equipment, ammo choice, etc.

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,975 Posts
...Thinking back to when you were brand new to the sport, what is the one thing you know now that you wish you knew when you first started?
To keep my eyes on the target and shoot when my gun goes through the target I'm looking at. Always look at the target. You'll see the gun approach it with your peripheral vision and then it all comes together and pow. Did I say to keep your eyes on the target?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
1st off thank you for your service. Things I learned. Don't take advise from short yardage shooters. Quality Glasses and colors DO make a difference. Buy a gun with an adjustable comb. .Shoot a full choke, and shells do make a difference once you get into mid and long yardage handicap.

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts
My advice would be, don't buy junk! Shoot a proven shotgun. There are plenty of options available in all price ranges.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Welcome!! My advice would be to get some instructional DVD's Like Leo's or Harlan's or Phil Kiners...
They might answer questions you don't know you have yet...

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
One thing I found - when you are a new shooter, volunteer to keep score as often as possible. By watching others you will see what a disciplined routine the good shooters have and it will help develop good habits. It also allows you to see what the bad shooters do - and what you should not be doing.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service! I think one of the most important things to keep in consideration is gun fit. Doesn't matter if you're shooting a $500 gun or a $50,000 gun. They will each do the job if you do your part. I would speak with some local shooters, introduce yourself and let them know you are starting off in this sport. Many will allow you to try their gun for fit/function and slowly you will get a feel for what it is you like and are willing to add to your stable of firearms. Good shooting, Rey

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Welcome! Clay target shooting is an awesome sport but does differ from rifle and pistol since your sight is actually your dominant eye. Many new to shooting moving clays do well as soon as they learn the sights on a shotgun are for alignment before they actually seek to destroy the moving clay. Look at Terry Jordan's wall chart and his instructional guidance. Two of the best friends of my lifetime and my "brothers of a different mother" were 5th SF!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To keep my eyes on the target and shoot when my gun goes through the target I'm looking at. Always look at the target. You'll see the gun approach it with your peripheral vision and then it all comes together and pow. Did I say to keep your eyes on the target?
Great advice. I need to apply the same to my golf game

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1st off thank you for your service. Things I learned. Don't take advise from short yardage shooters. Quality Glasses and colors DO make a difference. Buy a gun with an adjustable comb. .Shoot a full choke, and shells do make a difference once you get into mid and long yardage handicap.
As for ammo, I know, or have been told, STS and AA are considered the best for competitive clay shooting.
Are there other good options? Since I’ll be shooting up front for a while do I really need premium ammo?

That said, I’d happily shoot whatever I can find in the current market

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
There is only one absolute rule in shooting trap. Face towards the field and not towards the parking lot. Everything else is relative to how you learn to break the target.

Neil Winston, certainly the greatest student of the game, told me "..Every shot has a binary outcome, you either break it or miss it. Learn to do only those things that help you break it."

·
Registered
102 Posts
Welcome to the the group, both here and at the range. Having friends at both places will help you when you’re on the line. So far, you’re off to a good start. Welcome.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Try to make it to a major shoot if you can. Not necessarily to shoot but to see and try various shotguns. The Grand is the best for that but it depends on your location as to if that is close by or not. Plus the food and the shops.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I started trap shooting when I was 10 and had to make due with a gun that didn't fit. I made due with field guns that only kinda fit for years for rabbit/bird hunting.
Since I got back into trap shooting 2 yrs ago I have a much better understanding of the importance of gun fit. So whatever you choose to shoot trap with, make sure it has adjustability to fit you.

By the way thank you for your service and welcome

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Welcome and thanks for your service. Lots of great advise here. They really missed one point; very shortly you'll be asked if you're a troll. Just ignore it.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts