Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Here's some advice. Take it or leave it. Don't go to the pattern board. Adjust the comb and pad so the gun is comfortable and the beads line up. Shoot the gun. See how it's breaking the targets. If you have to raise or lower the stock to get good hits, do that. Shoot it for a while and get used to it.
O R
You can go to the pattern board. Find out that the gun shoots 4" to the left, and be depressed the rest of the week-and probably have the gun on the For Sale board before Christmas.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's some advice. Take it or leave it. Don't go to the pattern board. Adjust the comb and pad so the gun is comfortable and the beads line up. Shoot the gun. See how it's breaking the targets. If you have to raise or lower the stock to get good hits, do that. Shoot it for a while and get used to it.
O R
You can go to the pattern board. Find out that the gun shoots 4" to the left, and be depressed the rest of the week-and probably have the gun on the For Sale board before Christmas.
Always pattern!

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
When you get a custom fitted gun-you don't shoot it @ a pattern board-an over the the counter gun has to go to the pattern board to see if its shooting on the vertical line --in your case all 3 barrels-then go to the range and adjust the elevation on your comb or barrels to get the hits you want.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
14,891 Posts
The Fab Arm web site indicates there is some minimal cast but no offset on the stock. So yes, you may have to move the comb depending on how your face is built and how you mount the gun.

·
Registered
541 Posts
O R

dickgtax, any reason you suspect this gun will shoot 4" off target? I get the impression you're not a Fabarm fan ?
i_shoot

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
As always, trust but verify what you and your competition gun is doing frequently. Weight loss after a lay-off? It severely affects your POI from your perfectly fitted stock! Why ruin your mental game and a lot of wasted targets by trusting things to remain the same under any and all circumstances?

I saw this happen to a fantastic shooter during our Autumn Grand here in Tucson last week! BUT, for trophies sake, just keep shooting ol Betsey as is till things straighten themselves out. I guarantee you'll be in for some very disappointing scores in the process!

HAP

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I have long wondered how using a rest and aiming a shotgun at a fixed target translates in my brain to a free swing at a moving target flying away from me at variable angles and distances. Yes, if I find I miss regardless of how I get the gun fitted, it makes some sense to determine if the problem is with the gun or me. I am by no means a great trap shooter. However, I can do well with practically any gun I try - at first and before old habits creep in.

O R

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I understand the feeling of why you might not want to pattern....but being an engineer I just can't expect to understand where I'm going if I don't know where I'm starting. Which, you are right that swinging to targets is different than shooting at a pattern board. But since there isn't a computer controlled machine to swing my gun to perfect targets to dial it in then I'm going to have to use what I can.

Testing is all about building blocks. First I'll test for POI and adjust my ribs and comb. Then I'll see what patterns these chokes are throwing (using shotgun insight....not just guessing or eyeballing).
Then I'll go shoot some station 3 straight away's to make sure the gun shoots where I look.

Swinging a gun around in the air and hoping everything works 100% (And I hold the bar that way for myself) sounds like the quickest way to be frustrated with results.

Anyhow, I just wanted to post up some pretty pictures of my cool gun for others to enjoy. Not trying to convince the guys that donate to my lewis winnings to start patterning their guns.

·
Banned
197 Posts
that gun is gorgeous! I really want one, but I'm not sure how I feel about the Tri-wood.

Does anyone have any insight on what "Tri-wood" actually is and how it is applied?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
that gun is gorgeous! I really want one, but I'm not sure how I feel about the Tri-wood.

Does anyone have any insight on what "Tri-wood" actually is and how it is applied?
I did a lot of research before I finally pulled the trigger on this purchase and there people like to think that its a film applied to the wood....it is not.
They add a dye to the wood to help accentuate the grain that is already there. So you aren't seeing made up grain like a picture you're just seeing grain that's been dyed. Now....how deep that goes I do not know. So if you start sanding on the gun I'm not sure how far you can go before the dye doesn't show as strong....hell, it might be all the way deep. Would be great if Fabarm put out a little video on how its done.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
dickgtax, any reason you suspect this gun will shoot 4" off target? I get the impression you're not a Fabarm fan ?
i_shoot
Let me explain. Ideally every shotgun will shoot to the exact point of aim when the beads are lined up. Every O/U will be regulated so the POI of both barrel converge at some point close to where a target should be broken. However, that rarely happens, even with the high end guns. Shotguns are not rifles. So, as often happens, someone will buy a gun and run right out to the pattern board. For what ever reason, the center of the pattern will not be perfectly where it should be. Instead of appreciating that a shotgun sprays a shot pattern and can be off a little with no major effect, they fixate on the POA being slightly off, and don't appreciate the other qualities of the gun.
This has happened a thousand times, on this forum alone.

·
Banned
197 Posts
Damn that's a pretty gun.....I spoke to a guy at Albright's in MD about a left handed version, he said he didn't have any in stock but should have a shipment in a couple weeks. That was at least a month ago, wondering if I should swing by there and mount one.

Is the rib plastic or metal? Is it sturdy? Especially on the unsingle, I wouldn't want a rib that size to be anything but durable.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts